Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my worst fears were confirmed yesterday, passenger side head gasket is blown. Leaking externally, and when pressure tested under load, the cooling system is seeing almost 30psi. I took it to a reputable diesel shop in town for the full diagnosis. The guys over at T&A Diesel Performance treated me really well, and were more than happy to show me around the shop and all their current projects. Maybe to make me feel better about a possible 5k+ repair bill :eek: but i did enjoy shooting the shit with them about diesels.

And today I decided to install the FASS 150 and Beans Sump. Install went smoothly and the truck fired right up and stayed running. BUT, naturally as my luck would have it, I have a leak on top of the filter housing. very hard to tell just by wedging my head up in there, but seems like it's coming from where the outlet (to motor) meets the filter base (housing). Anyone have any similar issues? I'm going to call FASS tomorrow about it...very frustrating.

Annnd lastly (for now) I have a new oil leak that just showed up today. it's coming from behind the oil pan on the passenger side. Pretty persistent leak, i'll post a couple pictures to better show it.

The shop owner at T&A strongly recommended an ATS Co-Pilot to give full line pressure under heavy throttle, and help the stock trans live for 200-400K miles. Tried to explain that I've got a Transgo JR. and TCM tuning already, but he didn't seem familiar with either. Maybe he was trying to sell me on a $1,200 trans upgrade.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
welcome to the club man. its all part of the experience lol

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol Thanks...wish I would've read the fine print before signing up.

Pics of the oil leak

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
How many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only 107k :eek:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
How hot a tune you been running, and for how long?
Hey at least now you can do the ARP Studs

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hot a tune you been running, and for how long?
Hey at least now you can do the ARP Studs
truck had an old edge evolution on it when i bought it, set to level 1. This truck was the epitome of old man special, so i figure he used it for a little extra tow performance and to monitor things. I have since been running a single street/econ tune from Dmax tuner, and very rarely stay in it above 25-2800 rpm. Only because i had a feeling the HG's were toast, and plus i didn't want to limp the trans either.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update today:
Pulled the fitting for the line to the engine, on the FASS. Re-taped it with yellow thread tape, and torqued it back down. So far no leaks. They should really specify in the instructions which thread tape to use. But I'm sure it was some what of a rookie move to use the white stuff.

Anyhow, one problem solved. And a big huge expensive one coming up...
still waiting to hear on an estimate to have HG's done. I have less than no interest to attempt it myself, I'd rather not risk screwing up a very expensive motor. Nor will I have any time at all to do it. Some things are better left to pros.

·
Registered
959 Posts
my heads were 36 hours of labor, gaskets and arp studs, mine was leaking by injector number 7, and along the back portion of the motor, on drivers side.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about a little oil leak. some just leak

Reactions: Duralodo

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't even worry about a little oil leak. some just leak
Ya, true. I'll have it taken care of when the head gaskets get done. sounds like they prefer to yank the motor, that way it doesn't tie up a rack if they lifted the cab.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Ya, true. I'll have it taken care of when the head gaskets get done. sounds like they prefer to yank the motor, that way it doesn't tie up a rack if they lifted the cab.
you could do it yourself and save yourself a bunch of coin :thumb

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tim over at T&A and his crew are awesome,, they are the only shop that my buddy's and I will ever use.. They will give you a fair price..

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is." Hahaha, love that WildFF. Might have to steal that one!
Seems to be how I roll...haha I didn't make it up, so no copyright infringement here.

you could do it yourself and save yourself a bunch of coin :thumb
I know...But I'm terrified of messing up such an expensive motor. Plus, there's no way I'll have enough time. Business could be busy again this summer.

Tim over at T&A and his crew are awesome,, they are the only shop that my buddy's and I will ever use.. They will give you a fair price..
Ya I have no doubt they'll get it done right, Tim is an awesome guy. He's been more than happy to answer any questions i have and talk my ear off anytime I get him on the phone lol
I'm just not looking forward to the bill... I think $5,000 is going to be on the low end. :(

Been hunting craigslist for a cheap honda to get around in haha

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I know...But I'm terrified of messing up such an expensive motor.
Its only money. they print more of it everyday lol

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its only money. they print more of it everyday lol
very true, and the tree out back is almost at full bloom... :rofl
if I knew someone nearby with the know how to help me out, i'd consider it. lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
I understand that it may seem scary to tear into and expose a motor. BUT, get a good shop manual, go very slow your first time, and be hyper clean of your working conditions and you can save a HUGE amount of money man. Shops charge robbery in all honesty, and you get experience and a ton more satisfaction out of a repair when you do it yourself. Also a big self repair boosts your own confidence in your mechanical aptitude and in life in general. That's my personal experience at least. I rebuilt my first trucks motor when I was 17, took me forever because I was pussy footing around making sure I did it right, but after that first start up hearing hard snappy pops of fresh rings and honed cylinders, I was hooked, I haven't ever even considered taking something to a shop since. Just my $.02 and food for thought.

Reactions: John6363

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that it may seem scary to tear into and expose a motor. BUT, get a good shop manual, go very slow your first time, and be hyper clean of your working conditions and you can save a HUGE amount of money man. Shops charge robbery in all honesty, and you get experience and a ton more satisfaction out of a repair when you do it yourself. Also a big self repair boosts your own confidence in your mechanical aptitude and in life in general. That's my personal experience at least. I rebuilt my first trucks motor when I was 17, took me forever because I was pussy footing around making sure I did it right, but after that first start up hearing hard snappy pops of fresh rings and honed cylinders, I was hooked, I haven't ever even considered taking something to a shop since. Just my $.02 and food for thought.
I understand man, and in a lot of ways i'm the same way. I just don't have the time honestly. nor does it fit in the garage, so it's not like i've got a barn/shop to close the doors on and pick away at it. If my situation was different, i'd give it a go. I just don't feel like i can take on this project myself right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.