Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have found where its leaking from. Right underneath the airbox. the line comes out from the rad. it goes from a metal hose to a rubber one. It also has a weird looking clamp on it wondering if their is a way to replace the clamp?,,,,next problem there is a little hose coming off a hose that comes from the rad. The little hose appears that it goes to the turbo when the truck is off it seems to have fizzing coolant comming from it ? Sorry if its hard to understand

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Very hard to understand...

I wouldn't remove a hose just to replace a clamp unless I was going to replace the hose too. Factory clamps are pretty much worthless after they are removed.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The one under the airbox, goes to the Heater Core. That hose is connected to the larger hose on the lower radiator hose. If it is only leaking out of where it is clamped, you could cut a little off the end and then put a real hose clamp on it. I have never been a big fan of the factory clamps that come on with the truck. Here is a pic of the hose, it is the smallest one that you have described to be leaking:drink

·
1,776 Posts
Very nice!

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Its more than likely not the clamp that is leaking, its probably the bracket that cracked the tube around the weld. The aluminum line is bolted right to the alternator bracket and is subject to a lot of vibration.

Ive already welded up 4 of these on trucks that were leaking.

To remove it you will need to drain the radiator and then take the clamps off at both ends and the bolts off at both ends plus a few things on top that are in the way. Then either TIG it yourself or have a shop do it make sure its clean and pressure test it when you are done.

There is a special tool to use for removing the factory clamps but an adjustable pliers (channel lock) will work.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I just reread your post again, and I think we are talking about different things:D The one you are talking about is on top of the engine, and goes into the thermostat housing "it is under the black box that says 6.6L Duramax right"? Here is a pic of what I am talking about, if I am correct. If it is then yes you can put a normal clamp in it, and also you can just replace the short hose.

·
1,776 Posts
Very hard to understand... post a pic and point out your problem?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
underneath the air box would be the metal line I am talking about

Underneath the resonator would be the upper radiator hose.

The line I am talking about seems to be a common issue.

·
1,776 Posts
Durallymax... did you just take that pic and pop all that info on there that fast???

I'm inclined to agree.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the info and the great pic too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry not able to use a camera...the first leak. If you look at the radiator on the left side at the bottom there is a metal hose that comes from the radiator and goes into a rubber one i beleive it has a metal crimp clamp type thing its leakin from there. I brought a screw clamp to tighten it down for a temp fix. The second one is a hose about 1 foot long jim has a pic of it above. I goes into a bronze colored housing that line is crack alittle. can i cut the crack off and reattach it? THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL RESPONSES

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
If it's a metal hose on the passenger side of the radiator and it goes into the radiator that's a tranny cooler line.

The other line you speak of is a small 1/4" line IIRC. It a coolant line for the turbo. I would just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
789 Posts

Any way i can buy just the aluminum line? If so anyone got a part number? I couldnt seem to find it on parts websites. I just changed jobs and dont have an aluminum welder anymore :mad:

·
Registered
839 Posts
when i went looking for one of those aluminum lines the dealer could only find one and its was in texas and if i remember right they basically wanted my left arm and a nut for one of those, so i have just been fixing all of mine with hose barbs and eliminating the aluminum one and putting a rubber hose in, it works great and its cheap just make sure that you run it so that it cant rub on anything. the one as the turbo is pretty common that i have found to its best to just replace it

·
Registered
63 Posts

I just developed this issue. Is it possible for me to remove this aluminum line and run hose barb and a rubber instead?...what is the diameter of this aluminum line?

Edit: fixed. Just ran heater hose and couplers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.