Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 chev 2500hd 84000miles crew brought it home from the dealer and noticed oil dripping on the ground. looked under it to see where it was coming from the blow bye tube on the front of engine. I checked the oil level mayby a little on the high side hard to tell if it goes up the cable on the dipstick the oil is to clean the dealer just changed the oil before I bought it. It will leave a spot every time I park, abought a 3in. spot. any one have any similar problems? Is it slowly leaking diesel in the crank case? Looking for input the dealer does not really know why or so he says He said I have the 200,000 warrente on the injector not to worry. thats fine but I don't like leaving oil spots in my driveway every time I park:help troy

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
They could have overfilled the truck with oil when they put it back in. It could also be injectors leaking into the crankcase. Have you tried to smell the oil? Try wiping off the dipstick with a paper towel and see if you get halos around the oil spot from the dipstick. Even if the oil was just changed, it should have gotten fairly dirty pretty quick....at least it wouldn't look clear. If it were me, I would take the truck back to the dealer and make them keep it until they figure out what is going on....but that is just me. BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is right where the truck is now at the dealer. I did smell the oil, ya maybe a little diesel oder to it but at this point it is not supper diluted. I talked to them today they really do not want to do injectors on it, but the tech said to run some test on them would take 4 hours so they mies well just order injectors and do it. I'm a little hesitant that they are telling me everything if they are not bad will GM charge them back to the dealer. At 500 dollars a pop plus labor I think they know more than they are telling me. I hope it fixes it I just want my truck back fixed, I had it all of 1 day, the dealer has had it for a week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still leaking

dealer put new injectors in but it still leaks oil out the blowbye tube ??????? any ideas?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
How does the oil level look? Maybe they overfilled it or maybe the injectors are still leaking. I have heard where the dealer didn't get them installed right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil is right at the top of the lead i have been keeping an eye on that to make sure it did not go up. how does the pcv system work on one of these things there is a cover on the front of the engine that the tube goes into it has pcv on it. hard to see it though it's buried under the belt tennsioner.

·
Registered
310 Posts
just a reminder its a diesel if it don't leak its out of oil. one question are you doing a lot of hard pulls or hotrodding this truck because that will cause the blow by tube to leak oil. after a long hard pull mine does it every time hose her off and its just fine. also are you sure its the blow by tube and not the aliuminum oil pan leaking? 02 dmax edge, strait pipe 78000.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
How dose the truck run, dose it idle ok, any smoke at idle? THe reason i ask is that if the engine has a cracked piston it will push oil out of the breather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
another problem with blowby

found the problem the pcv was pluged so the oil could not drain back into the crank case.
I am having trouble with oil coming out blowby as well. ( 9quarts had leaked out before I noticed the problem. After 500 miles pulling a 32ft 5th wheel. Came to stop light and noticed engine idleing rough, pulled into gas station and noticed oil spray under truck and trailer. A local mechanic determined oil leaking out blowby. Am waiting to see a diesle mechanic in the morning at a GMC dealership. Any thoughts on what the problem is before I see a mechanic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pcv

First and for most check the PCV valve that is where the oil gets seporated from the blow buy the oil should drain back into the crank case through the PCV. Mine was plugged and it will through oil all over the under side of the truck. It is so easy to check that's where I would start abought 20 bucks should stop the oil leak.

troy:cool

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 01 & mine is wet around the blowby tube & on the frame were it comes out.Mine has never used a quart since I bought it new.I have 106,600 on mine & if you smell the oil stick itll have a little noticable fuel smell to it.Also the oil in mine when I change it stays clean for about 1000 miles before it starts turning black.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oil Leak

Okay I am new to this website and diesels all together, But I have an oil leak at the
front of the engine on the drivers side. Is there anything I should be worried about Like Pistons or injectors?? The truck is an 01 GMC.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Okay I am new to this website and diesels all together, But I have an oil leak at the
front of the engine on the drivers side. Is there anything I should be worried about Like Pistons or injectors?? The truck is an 01 GMC.
How bad? Have you checked your oil to see if it is overfull? Also get a white paper towel and put a drop of oil on it. If it has 2 separate halo's than it very well could be the injectors. Also is you oil pressure lower than usual?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Damn

I Talked to a mechanic today and he said yeah replace the injectors, and he also told me around 2500 at dealer prices, If it doesn't have cylinder wash....

·
Registered
2 Posts
blowing oil out of blowbye

Have 02 Lb7 was going good son in law borrowed came back i jumped in noticed oil pressure low stopped oil coming out of it alot. Put oil cap upside down onto filler neck it does blow it off .But it runs great been sitting since Oct. 2017 saving money for new used motor put batteries back in Friday the 28th turned key took right off just as if I had parked it the day before so my question is could it be something other then A ring or piston since it runs good? And of course I've spent $4500.00 on A 68.000 mile motor. Your thoughts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
First and for most check the PCV valve that is where the oil gets seporated from the blow buy the oil should drain back into the crank case through the PCV. Mine was plugged and it will through oil all over the under side of the truck. It is so easy to check that's where I would start abought 20 bucks should stop the oil leak.

troy:cool
I'm confused.... How can you have a blow-by tube with a PCV system? I thought they were mutually exclusive. I know they are on gas motors and was under the impression that federal LB7s came with blow-by but California LB7s came with PCV. The whole point of PCV is to keep crankcase combustion gases (blow-by) from venting into the air by sucking them back thru the intake. My LB7 has a blow-by but no PCV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First time poster. I’ve had this truck about 6 months, and it hasn’t burned a drop of oil with mileage at 180 K. In the last month, there is a spot of oil coming from crankcase vent tube, connected to the PCV valve; it has lost about a quart of oil. I checked the oil with a paper towel, and there is no halo, or any diesel smell to the oil. Should I try to replace the PCV valve first, or do a compression test?

Thanks,
GSX

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
New thread would be appropriate.

GSX,

It’s easy to get buried when adding to an old thread and I suggest you start a new one.

Best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts