Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy crawled under my truck cause we heard a ticking while cruising, he says you better come look, we think its the seal that connects to the driveshaft off the transfer case cause the whole under side of my truck is just covered in oil. anyone know exactly what it is or have had this happen?

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
uh oh!!!!!!!!!PUMP RUB!!!!!!!!!!
I just replaced my transfer case last month due to pump rub..do a search it's too damn much to type though!!search up at the top for pump rub,numerous threads on this..........sorry to hear about your transfer case,but it probably is NOT the rear seal leaking,but a hole in the case rear,if you leave the hole the fluid will leak out and your chain will break,possibly tearing up all sorts of stuff in the Tcase[what happened to mine internally]
some guys put a temporary JB weld band aid on it and it lasts a while,you just have to watch it close

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uh oh!!!!!!!!!PUMP RUB!!!!!!!!!!
I just replaced my transfer case last month due to pump rub..do a search it's too damn much to type though!!search up at the top for pump rub,numerous threads on this..........sorry to hear about your transfer case,but it probably is NOT the rear seal leaking,but a hole in the case rear,if you leave the hole the fluid will leak out and your chain will break,possibly tearing up all sorts of stuff in the Tcase[what happened to mine internally]
some guys put a temporary JB weld band aid on it and it lasts a while,you just have to watch it close
The transfer case and injectors were replaced before i bought the truck, i know the mechanic that fixed it, im gonna talk to him tomorrow but ya that was only 12-15000 kms ago? If it is what your thinkin, how much did it cost to fix.

·
7,336 Posts
so you got the truck and this was replaced,was it remaned,new,or what?Unless someone took the time to address the pump rub issue it WILL,not IF,WILL happen in time,read for yourself.....
the transfer case was 1875 shipped,but the core is 350 which is bullsheyat!!!BECAUSE it damn near costs that by the time you pay to have it shipped to you and back!!!
shipping to me[now I did pay for 2 day!] 146.00
to ship back[priced it and it was 90.00 to send it back,so I took the muthaphucker back home!!]...............I still have a 263XHD transfer case for core if anyone around my neck of the woods needs one.I will probably just rebuild it then wait for the next poor shmuck that knows nothing about pump rub....sad but true,I'd probably come out better that way,at least I could get something back I have tied into the core cost,I can rebuild it and sell it for 1300 all day long.........also forget about used ones for the most part,several salvage yards told me they sell the transfer cases off these trucks when they get wrecked faster than they can unhook them off the tow truck!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you got the truck and this was replaced,was it remaned,new,or what?Unless someone took the time to address the pump rub issue it WILL,not IF,WILL happen in time,read for yourself.....
the transfer case was 1875 shipped,but the core is 350 which is bullsheyat!!!BECAUSE it damn near costs that by the time you pay to have it shipped to you and back!!!
shipping to me[now I did pay for 2 day!] 146.00
to ship back[priced it and it was 90.00 to send it back,so I took the muthaphucker back home!!]...............I still have a 263XHD transfer case for core if anyone around my neck of the woods needs one.I will probably just rebuild it then wait for the next poor shmuck that knows nothing about pump rub....sad but true,I'd probably come out better that way,at least I could get something back I have tied into the core cost,I can rebuild it and sell it for 1300 all day long.........also forget about used ones for the most part,several salvage yards told me they sell the transfer cases off these trucks when they get wrecked faster than they can unhook them off the tow truck!!

FML i hope its not this, i have a bunch of money saved for my tranny kit! and this shit happens...im only 700 away from gettin one. I would like to say its brand new? but im not sure, i wil definatly find out tomorrow. Its not coming from the transfer case itself tho, i will take pictures and post them up tomorrow after work.

·
7,336 Posts
where is it coming from then??I know when I had oil all over the side of my truck the same thing happened.........i hear you though,the thing to check is if it's been upgraded with the new pump design,there are a few companies that do the upgrade,so you may have gotten lucky IF someone knew to upgrade,def worth looking into

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its coming from like the yoke? my friend said, like right where the drive shaft connects to the transfer case

·
7,336 Posts
it may be the tail seal,but I wouldn't fool around and wait too long,the tail shaft seal is easy to replace if that is it,but ask yourself why the seal is bad????Excessive vibration anyone??just a thought??If i save ONE guy from having to sheyatt 1800 bucks,then I feel better,ya dig?:)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok as i was bed confined last night and most of the day today due to getting arc flash from work on friday, i was planning on taking some pictures and showing you but my buddy is the shop foreman at GM and he took care of it! Replaced yoke and U-joint on the work order, covered it all under warranty, and to top it off he ordered me a new gauge cluster cause mine is toast! Now, that pump rub kit your were mentioning how hard is it to install and where can i find it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
On my '01 the seal went out right where you're talking about and all i did was just buy a new seal at Napa and pulled the old one out and put the new seal back in and hasn't leaked since

·
7,336 Posts
Ok as i was bed confined last night and most of the day today due to getting arc flash from work on friday, i was planning on taking some pictures and showing you but my buddy is the shop foreman at GM and he took care of it! Replaced yoke and U-joint on the work order, covered it all under warranty, and to top it off he ordered me a new gauge cluster cause mine is toast! Now, that pump rub kit your were mentioning how hard is it to install and where can i find it?
you the man!!!Merchant Automotive has the upgrade kit I dunno about the installBUT I CAN TELL YOU I NEVER got one and the ENTIRELY NEW transfer case[that I bought last month!] already had that done to it..........

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
You can get the pump rub upgrade for $50. I believe IdahoRob sells them and they are very simple to install once you have the case apart, its a drop in piece basically.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can get the pump rub upgrade for $50. I believe IdahoRob sells them and they are very simple to install once you have the case apart, its a drop in piece basically.
So how hard is it to take the transfer case off and take it apart?

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
Its not too hard at all, might take you 45 min or so to take it off the truck. Taking the case apart just involves taking all of the bolts out that hold the two halves together, you'll also need some snap ring pliers to completely separate them from there which can be the biggest pain in the butt of the whole project.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How much weight can one expect when dropping the case down?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What kinda oil you guys run in your t-case? i read people are puttin 5w-30 synthetic motor oil in them??

·
Registered
303 Posts
What kinda oil you guys run in your t-case? i read people are puttin 5w-30 synthetic motor oil in them??

I put 5-30 but some other people put ATF, so really its just all preference to whatever you wanna run and i think a little bit of weather temp has some input also

1 - 20 of 31 Posts