Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently put my truck on a lift to check my t case and diff fluid's. Found the t case and rear diff to be completely empty! Just bought the truck about a month ago. I was trying to diagnoss the squawk which i found to be the commom problem with the yolk. I filled the diff and t case and all seemed fine for a day until i noticed a puddle of atf last night after work. Am i going to need a new t case or just a rebuild?? Never worked on anything like this before, any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!!

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
To fix your transfercase right you will either need to find someone that can weld magnesium or just buy the rear half. You had the classic pump rub. Make sure to get the pump rub kit so it don't happen again. Hopefully the internals are good. Merchant automotive has case halves and a rub kit to keep it from happening again.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,718 Posts
Look in the DIY section for the Pump rub fix, or go to Merchant Automotive's website and see the info they have on the pump rub problem. I would about guess that will be your issue. Lots of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask any questions, you can be pretty sure that someone here with be able to help you out.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the new nickel plated yolk that GM wants to sell me with the special grease?
Do you happen to know how much merchant wants for the rear half of the case and the kit you are talking about?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i checked merchant auto, 99 for the pump upgrade kit, and 295 for the rear half of the case. Does this sound about right to you guys?

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Yep that would be it.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,718 Posts
Sounds right to me, thats a lot better than $400+ for a case half from GM, Merchant Auto is good people :thumb

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks guys that was alot less painful than i thought. Still almost 500 bucks after seals and everything but better than 2k plus for a new t case i guess lol. You guys are awesome!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump for any info on the nickel plated yolk and grease that GM wants me to buy. Anyone had any experience with this? From reading other threads it doesnt sound like pump rub is the reason for my thump at stop and take off?? Definitely going to fix the pump rub, but what else could cause the thump and squawk sound?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts