Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating on what I want. At first I was going to put 6-8 off-road lights behind my lmm grill with HID's in them. But I also like the look of a roof or front bumper mounted LED light bar. I know the LED would draw less power which I like.... But for the price it's hard to convince myself to buy one!! Post up some pics or ideas of what you have or have been thinking of doing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I was looking in to the led light bars for a while, but for the price it's just ridiculous in my book. I can never justify spending that much money on something like lights lol. My suggestion to you is neither.. buy some off road lights, appropriate ddm motorcycle hid kits and retro fit them in yourself. You will save a ton of money going this route. I did it in my Rover and never had an issue with them. Was even able to fit the ballasts inside the housing in that application.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad idea! I will have to look into that! I was thinking about one of the rigid single row light bars. That was the length of the roof and put it right above the windshield? Mainly just because it wouldn't stand out. Until you turned it on lol they're so BRIGHT!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at defender roof racks lately. I'll prob end up with one.
I looked at those as well haha there are so many options to look at! That's why I wanted to see what everyone else had to help get an idea of what I would want.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I wish I could afford one of the LED light bars.. I like my light bar though. The lights are just halogens now but you can swap them out to hids, which I plan on doing one of these days..

Here's a pic ..

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could afford one of the LED light bars.. I like my light bar though. The lights are just halogens now but you can swap them out to hids, which I plan on doing one of these days..

Here's a pic ..

Looks good to me Doops! Has anyone been able to compare the LED bar to the light bar like this one?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Looks good to me Doops! Has anyone been able to compare the LED bar to the light bar like this one?

Thanks man. I haven't seen any actual comparison but I'd like to. Supposedly the LED bars are real bright.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Can't contribute in that department, but just thought i'd add another smidgen of info to the thread.. if you want some extremely bright lights find some off road lights that come with h4 bulbs, that way you can run your hid's on a hi/lo switch for even more brutal light output :woopass

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I was looking in to the led light bars for a while, but for the price it's just ridiculous in my book. I can never justify spending that much money on something like lights lol. My suggestion to you is neither.. buy some off road lights, appropriate ddm motorcycle hid kits and retro fit them in yourself. You will save a ton of money going this route. I did it in my Rover and never had an issue with them. Was even able to fit the ballasts inside the housing in that application.
Is there a certain light you used? Im in the market for some lights on two trucks

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Can't contribute in that department, but just thought i'd add another smidgen of info to the thread.. if you want some extremely bright lights find some off road lights that come with h4 bulbs, that way you can run your hid's on a hi/lo switch for even more brutal light output :woopass
Is this actually brighter, or just dimmer when you switch them to 'low'. My lights use H3 bulbs fwiw...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
it was seemingly brighter using my setup. From what I assume happens with the dual filament bulbs is there's an extra gas chamber at the end of the bulb that lights off when you hit the switch. However to be honest, with four hid's at the front of your rig in addition to your headlamps, you will be blinding people a mile away so it will be completely unnecessary lol

As far as lights, I was running some 9" lights on the front of the rover, just fits the safari look better haha. But as long as you find a light that has a h4, h13, 9004 9007 you can run the high low function. The kit I bought came with the wiring for an h4 bulb setup, so the high/low switch was already there, just had to wire around everything for the hid's and in to my wiring.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
That makes sense.. The only time I run mine is on the backroads, hardly ever meet any vehicles so I don't really worry about that. I really want to get the factory fog lights with some 6k hids, and probably a set of 3ks for winter.. A little extra light that I can run around town too.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
definitely. the 3ks are the bees knees for snow driving/romping. I love mine. I've been itching to add some more light output to my rig, but with my bumper it really makes things difficult. I don't want to add any to my grille area cause of the bars blocking it and airflow anyways.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this one right here is super bright but with the chevy front end I don't think it will look as good. That's why I was think of going behind the grill.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
it was seemingly brighter using my setup. From what I assume happens with the dual filament bulbs is there's an extra gas chamber at the end of the bulb that lights off when you hit the switch. However to be honest, with four hid's at the front of your rig in addition to your headlamps, you will be blinding people a mile away so it will be completely unnecessary lol

As far as lights, I was running some 9" lights on the front of the rover, just fits the safari look better haha. But as long as you find a light that has a h4, h13, 9004 9007 you can run the high low function. The kit I bought came with the wiring for an h4 bulb setup, so the high/low switch was already there, just had to wire around everything for the hid's and in to my wiring.
i know that in the hi/lo bulbs ive used it would actuate the bulb in and out to change your reflector angle for hi or lo beams so your angle changes, not brighter, just aimed higher up! :drink

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^My bad, never really sat down and looked at them that close. Sorry fellas.

Anywho here's a pic of the old discoII, cleanest she ever was haha. (right before I sold the thing)

oh and god bless that led light bar is sick! wish i could justify spending that on one lol. Any night pics?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^My bad, never really sat down and looked at them that close. Sorry fellas.

Anywho here's a pic of the old discoII, cleanest she ever was haha. (right before I sold the thing)

oh and god bless that led light bar is sick! wish i could justify spending that on one lol. Any night pics?
Dude that is a pimp wagon right there! I would of bought that from you!!

I will get one and post it up the mofo is bright!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts