Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome rig!

Very nice rig! What is wrong with Craigslist?! :) https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/6045279712.html

We had two 6.5 diesel Suburbans and had a love/hate relationship with the slobbery injectors and GM paid for most of it but it was a royal pain getting towed and stuck on trips. Enter our Duramax from Duraburb and I placed a white sheet on the floor and not one drip of oil and it ran so beautiful getting up to 21 MPG with so much more power and the Allison transmission is fabulous also. I could never go back to a gas or 6.5 - it is such a beautiful marriage of power, technology, balance and handling- solo or pulling a trailer with a Duraburb!

This is our fourth Suburban and after we buy a motorhome I will be looking for another one from Eric at Duraburb - they get the 'stupid out' for you, but that is what you pay for- they know what they are doing and all the options on the way. I do salute those that get a good deal and can do it all on their own too for sure, it is just a great rig!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Thanks

When I look back on the list of things I have done already I am a little amazed. It was pretty rough around the edges when I got it but the components were solid. The Duramax actually came from a 1 ton SRW. I did the necessary stuff right away and started driving it, waiting for problems to pop up that pushed them up the list if importance. Some was neglect, some was poorly executed work, some was abuse, but it is well on its way now. The best part is that I am able to build it as I want it.

The body is a 20 footer but is without the mid-west rust issues so I was thrilled and can do the rest as I get to it. At least I can do black one panel at a time and not worry about color match. The last year or so was smaller stuff and researching the larger items on the want list. On the body, the hood was the worst part - after I washed it a few weeks ago, I couldn't stand it. Always loved the HD hoods - kind of a throwback to the 70-72 Chevy truck hoods - it was always on the list of mods to do, but nobody could tell me if they were a direct fit or not (some guys were telling me I would need a grill, bumper and core support swap in order to use it, but the aftermarket sells these so they must fit, right?). Called around to my usual guys and found one at a local yard that needed paint for the stone chips. Price was right so I had it sent. Came in and is actually clean and only had a bunch of stone chips, and it was already black! Buffed it out, touched it up and took the old one off with crossed fingers that it would bolt on.

It does (grill gap is a little fat but I am ok with it). Then I found the black Z71 grill (another used deal) which makes the fat gap less noticeable. New un-hazed headlights and fog lights, ... It is a cascade effect, ... so I said what the heck and ordered the new radio to get THAT stupid out of the truck.

Craigslist around here is like the wild west; you better know what you are doing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One TD gets 49 MPG and one up to 22MPG on the highway but when it comes to pulling power...lol. They both slay passes and purr all day and all night without stopping for fuel all the time but one makes me feel safer going through buffalo hurds on the Alaska-Canada highway!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Super nice, ...

My customers with TD Bugs absolutely love them (and couldn't care less if they came with a bud vase or not, :)). Love the country - born and raised in the flat lands here so I have to travel for views like that. Part of the plan with this thing is to do just that; wander coast to coast and see the country. Few years out yet, though.

As amazed as I am with this truck, I think what truly surprised me about this Duramax Burban so far is actually how fast it is - in stock form at, what, 7500+ lbs (?), it is a flipping hotrod. I'm not a big 'go fast' guy, but my around town mileage would be a lot better if I could just keep my foot out of it, and I haven't even scratched its potential yet.

I am getting it in shape, bit by bit when time and $'s allows, and having a ball doing it. Right now I'm just having fun reading what everyone else is doing to theirs and planning the next expenditure. Here's the latest addition - I just wanted to get rid of some more stupid and add a backup camera. Well, I got a backup camera along with tons of other stuff ('mission creep'?), but got rid of a huge chunk of stupid as far as wiring. Yup, that's really wedged in there and of course the salesman said the dash surround wouldn't need any trimming (I will make it a little tidier soon). After the old junk, I feel like I got a new truck, just without the payment!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like a great upgrade! I had a software upgrade in Texas so I could watch the news in the passenger seat going down the road with the satellite dish it came with that the dealer had installed. I used it a couple times on one trip and went back to XM radio news after that but it messed up my backup camera so I need to get that put back to make it work again since a backup camera is really useful!

The first time I passed a truck on a hill around a corner to get out of harms way, it took my breath away and put a smile on my face! I saw the same thing when my wife and son used 'the power' in tight situations traveling - it became a safety issue, makes you feel secure that if other people's stupid actions were thrown at you, you can 'get away' quickly and make your own way! LOVE IT!!

As far as the diesel Bug goes, it is a small hoot to drive also and I throw my wife's flower in the seat when I fuel up for her, which isn't very often since that thing sips fuel and still conquers passes without gearing down like it is on steroids.

If you drive a duramax suburban, you can't imagine why GM did not do it themselves although a new Burb can cost 75 grand with a gas motor. It makes me wonder what the government pays for their Duraburbs with bullet proofing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love everybody's burbans! Sorry it took so long for me to get back and put some pics up! Here are pics of my '07

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just finished mine up. 07 Sub with an 08 donor. Was a 1 owner suburban out of Florida that was way to clean to leave alone. LMM with a 6 speed, LBZ mouth with intake heater delete, 4” stainless exhaust, some “minor” tuning, 2” body and torsion keys, 275/60/20’s, and a few other things. Left the duramax emblems off so people have the “wtf” look when they’re next to me. Still working on some small issues but I LOVE it. Sold the 10 CCSB to do this and wish I had done it sooner. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts