Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a 2015 GMC sierra 2500hd with 170,000 kms.

Just got my first emissions related code P24C4 (egr valve code)

So 2 options, replace the egr valve for 6 to 8 hours of my time and 215$

Or.... delete the truck

So my plan of attack on that route is to tune, DPF delete pipe and just an optimized stock tune.

So my questions are, towing will I see lower EGTs? The delete will also get rid of any future emission issues.

I will also be installing a system saver at the same time. Just for a piece of mind, but so far so good on the cp4 for me. *knock on wood

Any pointers, experience you would like to share for me??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good plan you have. Get a pump and extra filtration for that CP4 also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 with 130,000 miles. Two weeks ago I did some upgrades.

Just did a downpipe back full exhaust with muffler. So cat and DPF gone . Did a EGR delete with block off plates. Not an EGR removal.
I had a 45 hp tow tune installed. It was a single tune EFI flash tune I think it called. There are no displays plugged in. The shop just added the tune to my truck if that makes sense.

So my thoughts after two weeks.
-The power increase is noticeable for sure.
-Only put one tank of fuel through her but seems to be getting 4-5 mph increase
-Truck is way louder even with muffler. I am thinking of asking if there is a quieter option for a muffler.
-The smell from the exhaust is horrible. Some mornings even the inside of the cab stinks.

So overall I am happy that my truck will be more reliable for sure. I knew the truck would be louder and stinkier, as I read a lot on this site about the delete.
I cant answer your question on lower egts , but just thought I would let you know what to expect.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Look into and FTE Resonator, or Donaldson has something as well. There is a thread somewhere around where someone wanted to quiet the truck after doing the exhaust. iirc they had a donaldson muffler put where the "cat" normally is, plus a muffler, to get it quiet. The FTE resonator should do the same thing plus remove any drone there might be in the cab, especially while pulling. If you do some digging you might find the thread before you start spending money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am straight piped from downpipe back and it's only loud if I mash the skinny pedal. Cruising is quiet enough, only slightly louder than stock.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I have the shorter FTE resonator and a MBRP quiet tone muffler, truck is not stock quiet, still has a nice low idle, but nowhere near the noise of a straight pipe like I had for 7 years or even trucks with the "mufflers" that come in the kits. those mufflers really don't make a huge pile of beans difference, the MBRP one was worth it in my experience. You don't realize how much noise is in the cab when you're used to a straight pipe until it's gone.

as far as the smell, it's a diesel, they smell like diesels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i have decided to delete. Going to use motor ops for the tuning and parts, great guys and they are Canadian too.

Going to do the pcv reroute, flo pro DPF delete pipe, leave the cat for now. I also got the system saver and it will get installed at the same time. In time i will do the EGR delete and potentially a full exhaust.

I have been researching mufflers in case it is to loud. I tow a toy hauler 5th wheel and the exhaust hits the very bottom corner of it and i can only imagine the drone towing haha

What do you guys think, spend the little extra now on the 5 tunes and switch and just make myself leave it on optimized stock? I really don't need anymore power but it would be nice to have on tap, but with more power comes potential issues as well as fueling concerns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts