Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck only has 40,000km on it, I installed the cognito UCA's and fox shocks with extenders at about 32,000km I also put Raybestos upper ball joints in the UCA's. Truck isn't totally leveled, since I wanted to keep everything in the "green" zone. But just over the last couple weeks I notice a popping sound coming from the driver side when going over harsh bumps. Anyone else have an issue like this? I am going to have to further investigate to see what is actually popping but I didn't expect to be hearing these noises with only having 40,000km on the truck. When going over a semi rough road I don't hear the noise its only on the harsh bumps or really rough roads.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Buddy of mine had same problem and a shock bolt came loose

·
Registered
318 Posts
y'all making me nervous.... i just priced out the cognito keys with billstein 5100's for the new year. going to upgrade to the UCA's later on down the road. Why does levelling these trucks have to be such a f******* nightmare???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked to make sure the bolts and everything were tight for the UCA, fox shocks and ball joints and everything was tight, still never found whats causing the popping, also checked ball joints for play, all still seemed tight. It is way to damn cold to be messing around with this thing in the driveway, I may just end up taking it to the dealership. Pretty disappointed with this cognito stuff, the only reason I spent all this money is so I wouldn't have problems like this!!!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I had the Cognito TBD lift and UCAs and had bad popping whenever I braked and was coming to a stop. Put brand new stock style UCAs on and did the TBD to NTDB kit which used new shocks and it's still happening!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine is a 2015. Put the kit on at 3,500 miles it was fine for the first 3k. Now it does the same as yours. Harsh bumps like entering a parking lot that is uneven to the road or pot holes it clunks like the shock is loose. I was out of town when it started with limited tools but I did check and everything seemed tight. I got it home and put it away for the winter. Will be looking into it further soon. If I don't find the clunk noise I will be putting it back to stock and sell the Cognito kit.

Curious if anyone with stock parts have experienced this noise?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2014 3500 4x4 and have cranked the keys up, it not level but it's close. I have about 1/2 inch between the uca and the stops. The truck has about 13k on it and I did the keys about 3k miles ago, just recently it has started making posing noise from the driver side when coming to a stop while turning. I will be taking to the dealer in another 2k miles or so and see what's wrong.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is the ball joint on the UCA completely seated in the knuckle? My 2011 used to clunk/pop and ended up being the ball joint not completely seated. See below

Step 6.
Mount the ball joint to the spindle with supplied hardware. Use the 9/16” flat washers supplied if the castle nut needs to be spaced in order for the cotter pin to engage, and tighten to no more than 50 ft-lbs. of torque, making sure the cotter pin hole will line up with the castle nut notch. You may have to chase the small end of the tapered hole in the spindle with a 9/16” drill bit because the factory ball joint is a metric thread and the aftermarket ball joint is an American thread. Insert the cotter pin and bend ends around the nut to secure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I took my truck to the dealer today and they looked into this clunking noise, they checked the whole front end and said everything is tight, shock bolts were tight. Checked the shock and said the front left fox shock is blown! Charged me a $100 for them to look into this, was not impressed but don't have a shop and wasn't going to spend anymore time laying in the snow trying to figure out what was going on. Pretty pathetic to have a blown shock with only 8000km on the leveling kit...

·
Registered
72 Posts
That was my first thought on my truck. When I called Cognito they said if it were blown there should be fluid leaking and I should be able to see it. Was there any signs of leaking fluid? I have the Fox shocks also, mine look dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a stock 15 2500 with all factory suspension components. My keys are turned slightly but not much and my truck is making this exact noise... it is at the dealership right now and they are replacing my drivers side front shock. I'm hoping this fixes the problem. When I brought the truck in yesterday they went checked all the bolts underneath and discovered that the bolts on the cross member under my transfer case had backed out a few turns... I have no idea what would cause that to happen. My truck currently has 18k miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They seemed to think that the noise was from the bolts and the shock was just something they found. I had a chance to drive the truck last night after they fixed the bolts but before replacing the shocks. Tightening those bolts didn't change anything and the popping was still happening. Shocks arrived today so it went right back in. Fingers are crossed that this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if someone figures this out pls post..I just orderd this level kit for my 2015 today..Now i dont want to install it :/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts