Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I`ve been researching leveling kits for my new 2021 Sierra 2500HD and I am looking for some feedback. There are alot of different options out there, I am on a budget, and I've started to narrow it down and looking for feedback from folks who are or have used them. I realize opinions vary but I am open to hearing everyone's opinion

Suspension Maxx Cam 9, SMX-MC9 with Cognito Ball Joint SM Series Upper Control Arm Kit

Ready Lift, 2" front leveling kit w/forged torsion key, SKU 66-3020 with Cognito Ball Joint SM Series Upper Control Arm Kit

Cognito 3-Inch Standard SM Series Leveling Kit, SKU 110-90939

KRYPTONITE STAGE 2 LEVELING KIT 2020 Part# KR20STAGE2

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
My truck has a combo of the parts you have listed. I started with the Readylift 3/2 as it was the most inclusive kit with Cognito high clearance UCAs (the standard tubular ones). I chose those UCAs because the actually allow more down travel and do not require the frame bumpstop to be cut. They are a little bit cheaper.
I have Fox 2.0 shocks all around.

I didn't like the CV angles at 3/2. The front had to be cranked up in order to make the rake look right. I like about 1/2-1" of rake. I also really did not like the Readylift bumpstops. They were very difficult to install and are very hard. They made the ride pretty harsh. so I removed them and reinstalled the factory. Also, I did not need to use the skid plate spacer kit.

So now the truck is right about 2.5" lifted (keys turned down) and I am running a Suspension Maxx 1.5" rear block kit. CV angles are better, ride is decent. The Fox shocks made the ride more firm/controlled.

If I did it over again, I would just ket a set of keys ( I heard 2019 truck keys are the same as a leveling key for the 2020??), a diff drop kit, a block kit, shocks, and UCAs.

PS: I have a set of front Fox 2.0 shocks for the 2020 1.5-2.5" lift (part number 985-4-240) for sale. They have about 500 miles on them. Just going a different route

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don’t bother with leveling kit.

every shop I went to said that everyone that put a leveling kit on there 2500 hated it. They said to either leave it as is and just put bigger tires if you want (some trimming might be required), or put an actual suspension lift kit. One of the shops straight up just said they wouldn’t even do leveling kits on 2500s, that it was just a waste of time and money.

I went with the FabTech 6″ RTS LIFT KIT W/ FRONT DIRT LOGIC 2.25 RESI SHOCKS & REAR DIRT LOGIC 2.25 SHOCKS – K1160DL. With Method 18in rims and Nitto Ridgd Grappler 37s. Everybody kept giving me different opinions on ones to get and what they thought was best but when I talked to the shops that actually knew what they were doing they would ask me what my application was and how was going to be using my truck. I’m on the freeway most of the time, off road in areas that I need high clearance(for fun and for work at times)25-30% of the time , and I tow a 32 foot travel trailer once or twice a month.

There are other brands that people said we’re better than fabtech but when it came down to it all things considered the fabtech was the best fit for me. They actually have a good ground clearance and keep the torsion bars tucked away unlike others that claim to have high clearance but have the torsion bars sticking down way out.
I retained my towing and hauling capabilities from stock and the ride seems better.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don’t bother with leveling kit.

every shop I went to said that everyone that put a leveling kit on there 2500 hated it. They said to either leave it as is and just put bigger tires if you want (some trimming might be required), or put an actual suspension lift kit. One of the shops straight up just said they wouldn’t even do leveling kits on 2500s, that it was just a waste of time and money.

I went with the FabTech 6″ RTS LIFT KIT W/ FRONT DIRT LOGIC 2.25 RESI SHOCKS & REAR DIRT LOGIC 2.25 SHOCKS – K1160DL. With Method 18in rims and Nitto Ridgd Grappler 37s. Everybody kept giving me different opinions on ones to get and what they thought was best but when I talked to the shops that actually knew what they were doing they would ask me what my application was and how was going to be using my truck. I’m on the freeway most of the time, off road in areas that I need high clearance(for fun and for work at times)25-30% of the time , and I tow a 32 foot travel trailer once or twice a month.

There are other brands that people said we’re better than fabtech but when it came down to it all things considered the fabtech was the best fit for me. They actually have a good ground clearance and keep the torsion bars tucked away unlike others that claim to have high clearance but have the torsion bars sticking down way out.
I retained my towing and hauling capabilities from stock and the ride seems better.
Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD Fabtech Lift and 37s
177 Posts
I did the same kit as @Alpha7 but did fox shocks instead of Fabtech shocks. I’m also on 37s. I did a bigger rear block (5”) than what comes with the kit (3”) my truck was squatting like crazy until the bigger block went in. I heard all the same things about leveling vs lifting from my shop.
08C915BD-E175-49BF-B845-9E5B531FB20A.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 GMC 2500HD AT4 on 37s
195 Posts
37 12.50R 18
Icon Rebound 18x9 +12
No leveling kit
7 full turns on torsion bar bolts with probably 6 full threads left on bolts.
Rides no different than stock.
Some minor fender modifications

Reactions: CraigHD and McSpeed

·
Registered
2 Posts
37 12.50R 18
Icon Rebound 18x9 +12
No leveling kit
7 full turns on torsion bar bolts with probably 6 full threads left on bolts.
Rides no different than stock.
Some minor fender modifications
Hi,

ok so you are saying you got those 18x9" wide rims with +12 offset (stock is +44) and 37"x12.5" tires on by nothing more than tweaking your torsion bars and some "minor" fender mods?

Do they rub at all? Say while breaking and hard turn?

Wondering what "minor" means with fender mods?

Looks great, I always like less rim and more sidewall on a truck....but I just can't believe they are not rubbing.

I would like to do the same, but just can not believe they fit with no lift.

:oops:

I am assuming you did a re-alignment after the torsion bar tweaks?

Any noticeable strange tire wear with the change in your scrub angle that would result with those rims? You said it seems to handle the same.

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
195 Posts
Correct.
Fender mod-
Behind the wheel I removed the factory mud flaps and removed the metal bracket that is only there to hold the inner fender liner in place, reinstall bolts, bent the corner of the fender that sticks out into the wheel well (super thin steel, practically can bend it with your hands) zip tied the inner fender liner back.
In front of the wheels I removed the air dam lower valance, trimmed about an inch off the remaining valance and zip tied the inner fender liner forward. 7 turns on torsion bar bolts with 5-6 full turns left on bolts. Did an alignment and fit 37 12.5s on +12 offset wheel with zero rubbing.
Truck rides awesome. Albeit 37s on aftermarket wheels pose a challenge on getting a perfect balance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,

ok so you are saying you got those 18x9" wide rims with +12 offset (stock is +44) and 37"x12.5" tires on by nothing more than tweaking your torsion bars and some "minor" fender mods?

Do they rub at all? Say while breaking and hard turn?

Wondering what "minor" means with fender mods?

Looks great, I always like less rim and more sidewall on a truck....but I just can't believe they are not rubbing.

I would like to do the same, but just can not believe they fit with no lift.

:oops:

I am assuming you did a re-alignment after the torsion bar tweaks?

Any noticeable strange tire wear with the change in your scrub angle that would result with those rims? You said it seems to handle the same.

Thanks,

MP
"Do they rub at all? Say while breaking and hard turn?"
No rubbing and I work my truck

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Do they rub at all? Say while breaking and hard turn?"
No rubbing and I work my truck
Wow. Ok so with the 7 turns on stock keys, what has happened to your CV angles? Are the CV angles now much steeper causing "CV boot compression" that can result in failure?

They sell Key kits as "leveling kits" that come with shock spacers and front differential spacers to correct the geometry changes on the shock and CV angles. I'm wondering if you did a before and after comparison in this sense?

Next wondering how many miles your drove stock and then after these changes. Many that have done this say "it really wrecked the ride". But you are saying you notice no difference. How long did you drive the truck stock?

Thanks for the info. I don't want to get into a bunch of aftermarket stuff that voids my warranty and such, so I'm after what I can get away with stock.

MP

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow. Ok so with the 7 turns on stock keys, what has happened to your CV angles? Are the CV angles now much steeper causing "CV boot compression" that can result in failure?

They sell Key kits as "leveling kits" that come with shock spacers and front differential spacers to correct the geometry changes on the shock and CV angles. I'm wondering if you did a before and after comparison in this sense?

Next wondering how many miles your drove stock and then after these changes. Many that have done this say "it really wrecked the ride". But you are saying you notice no difference. How long did you drive the truck stock?

Thanks for the info. I don't want to get into a bunch of aftermarket stuff that voids my warranty and such, so I'm after what I can get away with stock.

MP
I'll post a pick of the CV angles when I have the time to take one.
For frame of reference I've owned 12 duramax 2500 trucks. All of which were modified to fit bigger tires. I've had full on lift kits and All kinds of leveling kits. To be frank, all of which sucked. Poor ride quality, premature wear, etc.
I've found that I'm most happy with a truck with the stock suspension and the torsion bars turned up about 1 3/4".
This 21 on 37s rides better than all my other trucks with aftermarket suspension parts.
I leveled this truck and did the rims/tires at about 300 miles.

·
Registered
195 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts