Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here. Just purchased a '13 LML ECSB 2500 Z71 and am thinking about installing a leveling kit. Will my truck ride more harsh with a kit or the same? I like the ride as it is. The truck is bone stock. I have no plans on replacing the shocks. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm my experience they ride terrible I've had two trucks with them shocks are maxed out and have terrible cvs wouldn't recommend them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Jack up the front of the truck, turn each torsion bar adjuster 4-6 turns, then let it down, drive it around the block, check how it looks. If you like it get an alignment. Turning them much more will cause ride and wear issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You will replace shocks or add shock spacers!

You can crank the bars or halfass it, I would go Cognito Stage 6 if I were you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Go cognito I did and will never look back rides good. But I didn't do the stage 6 I just did the stage2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go cognito I did and will never look back rides good. But I didn't do the stage 6 I just did the stage2
I havn't checked their site yet or called, but how many stages do they have? I'm at work right now and really shouldn't be on the site. I'm just "checking in"!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I cranked my t-bars 2.5 inches and put in 5/8 shock spacers, with 305/55/20 no rubbing rides great, running my tires at 50 psi. Alot cheaper way of doing it, and honestly can't tell a difference. I have pics in my album if you want to take a look at the stance, it still has a 1/2 inch rake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cranked my t-bars 2.5 inches and put in 5/8 shock spacers, with 305/55/20 no rubbing rides great, running my tires at 50 psi. Alot cheaper way of doing it, and honestly can't tell a difference. I have pics in my album if you want to take a look at the stance, it still has a 1/2 inch rake.
That looks great man! I've decided to leave the suspension alone and just go with tires on my factory 20" rims. Gonna spend money on appearance. What's the max size tires I can go without any rubbing/mods? Any help would be appreciated!:neener

·
Registered
746 Posts
That looks great man! I've decided to leave the suspension alone and just go with tires on my factory 20" rims. Gonna spend money on appearance. What's the max size tires I can go without any rubbing/mods? Any help would be appreciated!:neener
Not gonna get much more tire without messing with the suspension. Like the posts above cranking t-bars or leveling makes it ride like sh!t.

·
Registered
746 Posts
BTW congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need shock extensions or of course its going to ride terrible. Maxed out shocks lead to a harsh ride. The level with extentions isnt bad.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
They say if u crank over an inch to put shock spacers. So if u wana crank a few turns and see what it looks like go wit it!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I turned up my torsion bars and got it leveled out. I did put shock extensions on it. They were really easy to install. Just the other day my dad commented on how good the truck rides. I have nothing bad to say about my ride. I personally think even if it rode a little more rough, I would put up with it instead of having my truck look like it is doing a nose dive. These are what I have on my pickup. They are only 20 bucks

11-12 Silverado/Sierra 2500 HD, 3500 - Zone 2" Front Shock Ext. C5202

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
I changed my factory shocks for Bilstein 5100's and they allowed an additional 1 1/2" over the OEM shocks. I was able to crank the torsion bars to get a more leveled stance without maxing the shocks. There was plenty of room left to go higher with the stock keys, just didn't want to mess with my CV angles too much.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I replaced my stock shocks with rancho 9000s. Do you think the kit above would work to extend the shocks as they use bolts and I am not sure how long they are.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I believe with the new Cognito kit for LML's you can't just buy arms. The shocks are the bump stop on new design and they sell as a package. I went around with Cognito myself about this and decided to go with CAMBURG RACING leveling arms on my LMM, but might not be out for the LML's just yet. This way I can run what I want shock wise, plus a 1.25 inch uni ball is awesome.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
So I am really wanting to level my truck out, the cheapest route that will not put stress on the angles of my CV joints and make the ride bad. What is the most amount of lift I can get with stock keys? Or do I really need to go with control arms and or aftermarket keys? I guess I would be willing to only get 1-2" out of it to keep it cheaper and better on hard parts/ride quality. It is hard to justify cognito for 3 inches and the amount of money. Also if I just crank it up an inch, is that the max on stock shocks? Assuming the rancho didn't help me with height, I will probably have to order the extenders. Any help I would appreciate, thanks.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
So I am really wanting to level my truck out, the cheapest route that will not put stress on the angles of my CV joints and make the ride bad. What is the most amount of lift I can get with stock keys? Or do I really need to go with control arms and or aftermarket keys? I guess I would be willing to only get 1-2" out of it to keep it cheaper and better on hard parts/ride quality. It is hard to justify cognito for 3 inches and the amount of money. Also if I just crank it up an inch, is that the max on stock shocks? Assuming the rancho didn't help me with height, I will probably have to order the extenders. Any help I would appreciate, thanks.

What a lot of people don't realize is that when you crank up your front end you not only change the angle of your CV's you also put a lot of stress on the Upper Ball Joint.(Not to mention overextending the OEM shocks) When the front end is lifted the UBJ bends outward and is no longer straight so when the suspension moves there is a lot more stress placed on it. The Cognito UCA's are a bit longer than the stock UCA's and when your truck is lifted they keep the UBJ a lot more vertical which helps prevent premature wear on the UBJ.
IMHO,there is no such thing as a "cheap" quality leveling kit. If you want it done right the first time, it's going to cost more than the crappy cheap stuff.
"The bitterness of cheap quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices are gone." I'd rather wait and save up enough clams to get a quality leveling kit than run out and buy some cheap ass kit just because I'm in a hurry. JMHO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts