Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at leveling the front of my truck. I found a few options. Bilstein makes a shock that will level it, i also found the torsion bar keys. Has anyone used either one of these? Any ideas as to wcich is better.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
First off, the Bilsteins will not level your truck. They are probably extended shocks for a levelled truck that will allow travel and give you a good ride. For Example, I am running the Bilstein 5100 shocks that are meant for a levelled truck. Torsion keys are what raise or lower your front end. You need to make sure that you stay in the Green Zone with your keys so that you don't overextend them. Just adjusting your torsion keys and adding longer shocks will work, but you will wind up with bigger problems down the road. You want to make sure your angles are correct so you don't get premature wear.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Shocks that will level? don't think so...

You can use your stock keys, crank them up some, norcaltruck.com has a write up on that, then you will have to get shocks that are longer so they don't bottom out.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Unless it's an air shock just a shock can't raise the front. U want leveling keys or just turn up the stock keys. U will however want a longer shock or extended shock brackets. If u like spending money and wrenching every 6-12 months u can get about 3" lift in the front. I wouldn't advise it though. By raising the keys it puts all the angles in the front end at angles that make parts wear quicker, and if u ever plan on racing or sled pulling u will have to install the stock keys to not break parts. Ask me how I know all this? Lol live and learn

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Damn u guys beat me to it. I gotta type faster.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Cognito is the best way to go to level it. It is not the cheapest out there, but is the best way. You won't wind up with all the problems that other level kits will give you over time, as the Cognito setup will keep all your angles in line with spec.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I bought my truck used with 43k miles on it. It appears to be leveled. What can I do to verify that it is indeed leveled? Also what can I do to check the angles?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I bought my truck used with 43k miles on it. It appears to be leveled. What can I do to verify that it is indeed leveled? Also what can I do to check the angles?
Take a tape measure from the ground to the center of the fender well and make sure is equal on all four corners. Make sure you are on level ground otherwise it may not be accurate. Best place is on a lift. You can also measure up from the top of your tire to the fender.

As far as your angles, take a couple of photos of it from the front side shooting back where other members can see the angles. Need to see the CV boot angles, bump stop and ball joints.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable
Here is the link to the bilstein shocks i was talking about. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys.been working on getting my new truck. Id love to here what you think about these. Anyone have them?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'm no genius but I think those r for a coil sprung front end.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Take a tape measure from the ground to the center of the fender well and make sure is equal on all four corners. Make sure you are on level ground otherwise it may not be accurate. Best place is on a lift. You can also measure up from the top of your tire to the fender.

As far as your angles, take a couple of photos of it from the front side shooting back where other members can see the angles. Need to see the CV boot angles, bump stop and ball joints.
Well I measured all four corners and I must not have been on 100% level ground, but I'm still going to conclude its leveled. My Driver side back & front measured 41" and my passenger front & back measured 42" so must be a bit of a slope in my driveway.

Here's a pic of the front end lemme know if I need to get better shots. Oh, and I just ordered tie rod sleeves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okl

·
Registered
132 Posts

now correct me if i am wrong, but wouldnt you get an inaccurate reading if you did from top of the tire to the middle of the fender well? some tires have more tread then the others unless brand new and what not. also, if you went from the ground to the middle of the fender wells on all 4 fenders, would that be accurate as well? i'm curious if the distance from the ground to the middle of the front fender wells are the same as the ground to the middle of the rear fender wells.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah man. I've been reading just like you. Seems like the best option and what im gonna do is the Cognito UCA kit. Then you have some parts for when you upgrade the lit for a full lift later on.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
now correct me if i am wrong, but wouldnt you get an inaccurate reading if you did from top of the tire to the middle of the fender well? some tires have more tread then the others unless brand new and what not. also, if you went from the ground to the middle of the fender wells on all 4 fenders, would that be accurate as well? i'm curious if the distance from the ground to the middle of the front fender wells are the same as the ground to the middle of the rear fender wells.
You are correct. I was going on the basis of new tires as that is when I did mine. I got mine perfectly leveled when I had it on the alignment rack as everything was level for me to do the measurements. I measured from the ground to the center of the fender and I also check from the top of the tire to the middle of the fender.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have no intentions of putting a lift on my pick up and prolly won't in the future. What would you suggest doing to level it?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have no intentions of putting a lift on my pick up and prolly won't in the future. What would you suggest doing to level it?
I would talk to Nick at Norcal. He posted earlier on this page, and he is the expert on this. To level it correctly, I would do the Cognito setup and add the Pitman/Idler arm support braces and maybe even upgrade to the HD Idler Pivot. I too will never lift my truck, and I wanted to level it correctly to not have problems in the future. You will also need new shocks and the factory shocks suck and are not meant for anything but stock height. Lots of good shocks out there, but I have been very pleases with my Bilstein 5100's. I would talk with Nick and tell him how you use your truck. There are cheaper level kits on the market, but you will notice the difference. The Cognito setup maintains the factory angles and will help give you as close to the factory ride as you have. Just my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts