Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the life expectancy of a Duramax?? I saw some debate about it and that cummins had the longest life expectancy? 1+mil. miles. I have also heard that 1.2 is a viable number for d-max. Isn't it derived from the ISUZU box truck diesel??

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
All I can tell you is...when I was buying a truck...I was buying a gasser...and then I saw a guy waiting for his Duramax to get done being serviced. I asked him if he liked it...and he said it was an 01 and had 537,000+ miles on it and he never had to do anything but regular maintenance. So then I went and bought one.

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
The Duramax is a Isuzu designed engine that is offered in the Isuzu H Series trucks which are the same as a Top-Kick or Kodiak. As far as reliability goes the only reason why everyone thinks that Cummins will out last anyone else is that the produced the 5.9l inline six for over 20yrs in different variations. I have personally seen Duramax's last 300k+ without any major problems. Try asking a Powerjoke owner if they can top that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is a clip from a lengthy GM Document ID #2021833

The Duramax™ 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel Engine is sold with a warranty of 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers. The Duramax™ has been tested to survive upwards of 200,000 miles/320,000 kilometers. The Duramax™ powertrain is designed for reliability, peak horsepower and torque within its design limits. When a customer installs a power-up device, it drastically reduces the mileage ratings.

I'm quite sure a Duramax will last as long as the engine is maintened and not mistreated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to diesels and looking to get one so I can start running bio diesel. In the last post it mentioned that the Duramax has a 100K mile warrenty. Does this go for all the duramax's and will the warraty be good for a second owner?

Thanks

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all GM warranty's are transferable and all Duramax models have a 3yr 36K Bumper to Bumper warranty the thereafter is a 5yr 100k powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to diesels and looking to get one so I can start running bio diesel. In the last post it mentioned that the Duramax has a 100K mile warrenty. Does this go for all the duramax's and will the warraty be good for a second owner?

Thanks

I heard the warranty can be voided if you run bio...any body know for sure? I know the big diesels like Detroit, etc... has a 5% max blend of biodiesel, or they get funny about the warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
unfortunately I sell fords, but I'm a chevy guy at heart. I've seen people trade in duramax's with 750k miles before and then turned around and had no issue selling them to other diesel lovers. ive never seen a 6.0 with over 200k miles that hadn't had major mechanical issues at one point in time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts