Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im like every other guy asking questions about lifting or leveling, i have no idea what to do! Id kinda like to put a cognito 4-6 on my truck with new wheels and tires but then i just thought why not the cognito 2-3 leveling kit. Or could i just crank my keys up and get the UCA's and be fine with just that? Id love for my truck just to sit level with aftermarket wheels and tires and still have a good ride. input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Level it still looks like a truck if you upgrade the shocks it will ride nice and your at least $1500.00 ahead and you can change it in the future if you decide to lift. With a lift you have to cut some frame brackets (with certain lifts) and also the upper diff mount so there is no going back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO you can answer this for me.. If i were to just crank the keys to level and get the cognito UCAs to help with the bad angle of the ball joints of the stock ones and put new shocks on front and rear would the ride still be nice? And would that be all i have to do

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my little bit of input but i had a gas burner 1500 before this truck and bought a rancho leveling kit which included 4 new shocks blocks for the back and new torsion keys it was 200 bucks but gave it an awesome ride (better than before) and gave it just enough lift 1.5-2 inches i think that would be the best way to go

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
My truck sits pretty level with the torsion bars cranked a few turns. If your not getting huge tires then cranking the bars will work fine!

Im on the boreder with this one. I like the lift kit the most. IMO its the best for the front end parts and ride quality. But, you start to loose function. Id say depending on what you do with the truck and how much $$$ your going to spend. Lift it! Id do a 4 on mine but not sure yet. The keys will help alot to. Im not sure if the ride would change.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought about lifting mine, but I went with a ready lift leveling kit, which is keys and shock extensions, for the reason that others have stated on here, practicality. I my race trailer, and once you get the truck so high in the air, you loose the use for towing bigger trailers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it was rough country leveling kit i had sorry

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
SO you can answer this for me.. If i were to just crank the keys to level and get the cognito UCAs to help with the bad angle of the ball joints of the stock ones and put new shocks on front and rear would the ride still be nice? And would that be all i have to do

Yes if the Cognito kit is adjust with in the right setting of travel space (that's where the ride issue comes from) then you your ride will be great. If you over extend the height then yes the ride will suck.

I have this set up on my truck and know alot about it so if you need help let me know.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like crankin the bars and a couple of other things is the way to go for me

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
i just got mine as well and was wondering about the same things. i like the look of the lift but not sure i want to spend the money or sacrifice the performance / ride. has anyone noticed any adverse affects from just cranking the T bars?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cranking the bars will make the ride stiffer. It puts more twist on the bars, no matter if you crank the stock ones or use new keys. Also your tires will look like there more in on the bottom than the top, making your tires wear faster. Trust me, I went both routes on the bars and you feel every bump on the road.
As far as lift kits go, choose RCD. The ride quality is amazing on them! Way better than stock. It makes the truck feel like your riding in a caddi. Also, all the materials in the kit are the strongest materials, and braces your front end better than stock.
Go with the lift, hands down.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Cranking the bars will make the ride stiffer. It puts more twist on the bars, no matter if you crank the stock ones or use new keys. Also your tires will look like there more in on the bottom than the top, making your tires wear faster. Trust me, I went both routes on the bars and you feel every bump on the road.
As far as lift kits go, choose RCD. The ride quality is amazing on them! Way better than stock. It makes the truck feel like your riding in a caddi. Also, all the materials in the kit are the strongest materials, and braces your front end better than stock.
Go with the lift, hands down.

As you crank you do not add more twist due to the other side pushing down on the torsion bar and raising the truck. The bad ride does not come from the torsion bar it self, it is a reflection of the drop out travel be reduced because you have added more pre-load/cranked. So the key to maintain a nice ride is not to over max out the travel.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Mine is cranked all the way up from the previous owner. You can see the weird angle and added stress on the ball joints just looking at it sitting there. I'm going to return mine to stock until I can get a cognito kit and shocks to fix the bad geometry. All I know is mine rides like I've got cinder blocks for tires up front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As you crank you do not add more twist due to the other side pushing down on the torsion bar and raising the truck. The bad ride does not come from the torsion bar it self, it is a reflection of the drop out travel be reduced because you have added more pre-load/cranked. So the key to maintain a nice ride is not to over max out the travel.
So if I crank my torsion bars up would I be able to get shock extenders to not max out the drop out travel

·
Registered
672 Posts
So if I crank my torsion bars up would I be able to get shock extenders to not max out the drop out travel
Unless you remove them, the UCA has a stock bump stop. They are stationary so as you crank you get closer to it. Extenders wont address that issue.

if you pull a bumper trailer youre likely to bottom out. Ask me how i know!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts