Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking to update the new LML I just picked up. looking to increase longevity and drivability.
Going lift pump first and I was wondering if an Airdog 100GPH would suffice for a street tune up to 110HP ?
Mad Jack Diesel has the older versions on sale for 599.00 or 150GPH for 625.00 free shipping.
I know the newer Air dog 2 has dual inlets but if i can save a hundred bucks, I'm totally cool with that.

Thoughts and or do we have any vendors I can support vs Mad jack. I see he used to post here but hasnt in a while.

Thaks all!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
100 GPH is plenty for what you want to do. @[email protected] can you help you out. They're pretty involved on the site.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Yes, the 100 or FASS 95 are more than adequate...

Installing a larger than needed pump has lead others to having problems..

Ran a FASS 95 in my 13 with tunes , no issue

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm running the fass titanium signature 95gph on my 15.5. It is very quiet, can barely hear it running when the motor isnt running, and you cant hear it at all when the motor is running.

I have zero issues with it running my 120hp tune. I don't really beat on the truck much so I didn't expect to. But I ran my 150hp tune once and really got in it just to see what it would do and the fuel pressure stayed good and no signs of it starving the pump. That's still the stock cp4. I have a sportsman coming soon so I'll see how it feeds that. But I suspect it will be just fine as well.

Iirc fass says the 95 is good up to 650hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question if you all dont mind.

Im Watching some install videos and some are using a syphon tube that is drilled into the top of the factory pump. Some aren't. What am I missing?

Shouldn't I be able to tap into the factory lines to draw out the fuel?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Both 95 and 100’s put out about 8-10 psi which is recommended for the Duramax, and can handle upwards to 600 hp, both you can use the stock pickup.
The 150/165 + usually run around 12-14 psi which is not recommended for the Dmax, if it happens to have a psi adjustment you might be able to turn it down a little, usually requiring installing a sump.

Very few people even know what psi their liftpumps are putting out, having no way to know, and don’t even think about it.
Having a way to verify the psi which will also show when it’s getting time to change the fuel filters when the psi gets down to about 5-6 idling, no guessing.

The fuel lines connect to the factory supply line no cutting just remove that line at the tank for the LP inlet then the LP outlet connects where that line connected to the supply to the engine.
No cutting or splicing.

You can verify the fuel psi with a vac/psi gauge that quick connects to the test port. 1st pic
And/or electric solenoid psi gauge in your cab. 2nd pic

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for this info, I trully appreciate it.
I had thought about the whole PSI thing but couldnt find any recommendations. Seems google returns the same junk most of the time.

I think ill pick up the electronic gauge and sending unit. Not sure if there is a spot on the airdog but if not I can put an adapter in the metering block of the pump and pull the reading from there.

So do I keep the stock fuel filter as well? I see they make a delete but if the pressuer is coming out at 8 and that is what the stock filter expects to see, then I should be good right?
If I can run extra filtration im all for it.

Both 95 and 100’s put out about 8-10 psi which is recommended for the Duramax, and can handle upwards to 600 hp, both you can use the stock pickup.
The 150/165 + usually run around 12-14 psi which is not recommended for the Dmax, if it happens to have a psi adjustment you might be able to turn it down a little, usually requiring installing a sump.

Very few people even know what psi their liftpumps are putting out, having no way to know, and don’t even think about it.
Having a way to verify the psi which will also show when it’s getting time to change the fuel filters when the psi gets down to about 5-6 idling, no guessing.

The fuel lines connect to the factory supply line no cutting just remove that line at the tank for the LP inlet then the LP outlet connects where that line connected to the supply to the engine.
No cutting or splicing.

You can verify the fuel psi with a vac/psi gauge that quick connects to the test port. 1st pic
And/or electric solenoid psi gauge in your cab. 2nd pic

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
95% of us recommend keeping the stock fuel filter, that last little bit of filtration before the fuel gets to the engine is a good thing.
With the LP having fuel filters will extend the life of the stock filter easily 2-3 times.
The AirDog liftpumps have a 1/8” female pipe thread port for a psi gauge or a low psi warning light, it might not be where mines at, my LP is a FP-100 with a 4G100 motor.
I first got the low warning light then when I added my psi gauge I tee’d into the supply line.
I wanted to keep both, mainly because of the low warning initial cost, I can be a hoarder on a few things. :smile2:
I’ve had the 4G165 the psi was to high and with no adjustments causing fueling issues when the tank got below 1/3.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Stock is vacuum, adding a LP is pressure.
Here’s typical vac reading without a LP.
When it gets close to 5-6 then it’s time to consider installing a new fuel filter.
The newer Dmax have a actual pump in the tank, like old school.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Stock is vacuum, adding a LP is pressure.

Here’s typical vac reading without a LP.

When it gets close to 5-6 then it’s time to consider installing a new fuel filter.
Do you have a better picture of where this test port is on the LML? I'm thinking of install one onto my stock LML. I don't have plans to install a LP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just traded in my 2013 lml for the 2020 l5p I took off my fass 95gph, gauges (fuel pressure, boost, egt, also have a trans temp gauge and sender) and my s&b cold air intake with ram tube. I am fixing to put them all on craigslist for $800 for the whole package but I hate craigslist so if anybody is interested just comment on here I usually check the thread when I get an email. Not a bad price i dont think but my buddy owns a diesel shop and he has only used 95-105 gph pumps on even the tuned trucks

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
The forum does have a section for selling stuff, that’s where you’ll have a better chance selling.
You’ll probably get more responses posting in it over mentioning on this thread, not everyone will be interested in this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts