Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GMC 3500, Duramax, with 89,000 miles . I am experiencing a raw fuel smell around the truck when it is running and a light colored smoke condition from the exhaust, (which also smells of raw fuel). This condition is especially noticable at idle. There are no obvious signs of a fuel leak. I believe my fuel mileage has also dropped considerably. It is almost like the truck is running to rich. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Not trying to give the obvious diagnosis, but it sounds like you've got an injector stuck open. Or there are a couple that have just had it and need replacing

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
No probs, take it to a dealership and have them check the balance rates. that'll tell you whats going on for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been told that GM has acknowedged a problem with the injectors for this motor and extended the warranty because of it. Does anyone know the details of the warranty extension?

·
Registered
33 Posts
7 years or 200,000 miles

·
Registered
897 Posts
Also check you oil for diesel dilution.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep, sounds like an injector problem. My bosses 6.0 PS does the same thing, it's a light gray/blue color smoke at idle, normally when it's first started and warming up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts