Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching on here for awhile, I couldn't seem to find an actual thread on putting a light bar in the factory grill. I have a 2015.5 High Country and I swapped my factory HC grill to a buddy for his Z71 grill since I was going to cut it up anyway.

Total cost for everything was $130 including the light bar and about 4-5 hours to do so. I'm definitely not a fabricator but I was pleased with the outcome.

The light bar is from ebay and is a 34" curved combo bar. I've bought many lightbars from ebay for hundreds of dollars less than name brands and never had a problem with them.

I went to Home Depot and got a piece of flat strap aluminum to use for my mounts.

First thing I did was pull the factory grill. There is a plastic cover on top of the grill and you pop the little plastic snaps up and remove it. Then its time to unbolt the grill. If I remember correctly it is a 10MM nut and there are four of them. Once you remove those, the grill snaps out.

Once I had that removed, I laid the light bar out on it and measured out where I would need to cut.

Then brought out the air dremel tool and went to town on it.

After the grill was cutout, I mounted it back on the truck and measured out where the aluminum strap needed to be cut and bent at. I want to say I cut it at 5 inches and bent it at a little over 1 inch. All bars will be different on the mounting holes so these may not be accurate for everyone.

Mounted them on the light bar and marked where I needed to drill my holes on the truck and then drilled it.

Once I got that bolted up, I realized that the aluminum mount needed to be trimmed to not hit the factory grill that remained.

Once those were trimmed out, I put the factory grill back on the truck and snapped everything back together and wired the bar up.

Then drilled a hole on the bottom of my dash piece for the switch.

Headlights

Light bar

Hopefully this post makes sense, and if anyone has questions please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are those stock headlights and fogs? Or hid/led?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wow looks great! I'm thinking of picking up some eBay LEDS. Recons are wayyyyyyy over priced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Install looks good! Now remove the Z71 emblem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Z71 will be coming off sometime this weekend. I was in a hurry last Sunday trying to finish up the bar that I forgot to take that off lol!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I just noticed; when you cut the bars on the grille, you didn't replace the front bar covers, so the bottom rows are flat whereas the top bars are rounded. Do you know to what I am referring?

Could you not reattach (snap on) the bar covers on the cut portions?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Where did you get your led bulbs? And do you like them?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I actually forgot to put those on till the later when I noticed they weren't on lol. I just trimmed them to the length and snapped them back in and put the screws back on. After dinner I'll snap a picture of them on!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's a good job. If I need this done, I will be going down to Victoria.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where did you get your led bulbs? And do you like them?
I got them from my local audio store. Ill have to look in my storage room at the package to tell you the brand. To be honest I don't think the headlights are any brighter than the factory bulb, they just look better. The foglights are the putco brand led fog light and they're brighter than factory.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a good job. If I need this done, I will be going down to Victoria.
You tell me when lol! Ill help you do all but the cutting, Ill show you where to cut but ill let you do that! I don't want to accidentally mess someone else's grill up!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i just a 52 across my roofline... its insanely bright, but its definitely annoy to drive on the highway with the windows up with the turbulence noise.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I have a full front bumper but I have considered a bar mounted on the front of that with two smaller lights in the foglight spots.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just noticed; when you cut the bars on the grille, you didn't replace the front bar covers, so the bottom rows are flat whereas the top bars are rounded. Do you know to what I am referring?

Could you not reattach (snap on) the bar covers on the cut portions?
Here you go!

Sorry, the trucks a bit dirty lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just a 52 across my roofline... its insanely bright, but its definitely annoy to drive on the highway with the windows up with the turbulence noise.
My trucks going on 37s Monday and I've always liked the way that a lifted truck looks like with a lightbar on the roof. After talking to my lift guy, he told me that the wind noise from the bars is stupid loud. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Much better on the grille, but that Z71 emblem is still there!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a full front bumper but I have considered a bar mounted on the front of that with two smaller lights in the foglight spots.

Eventually, Ill be running a STMW dual 40 front bumper on my truck. I had one on my F250 and loved it. You can never have too many lights!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.