Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 GMC Diesel has been good to me mechanicaly so far (right at 100K) so I don't want to complain too much. But.....the light went out on my steering wheel mounted radio volume control rocker. Any one know how to get to it for repairs? The only other problems I've had are:
#1 The remote control "extending" feature of the side view mirrors failed. Right side only.
#2 The CD player won't accept CD's anymore.
Any fixes for these problems?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Sorry cant help ya with the steering wheel thing but i do know that the mirror problem is pretty common and is usually caused buy lack of use. And when you figure out the problem with the cd player let me know as mine as recently quit taking cd's as well???

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
when you figure out the problem with the cd player let me know as mine as recently quit taking cd's as well???

I think Best Buy has a fix for those issues! :D

I usually pull the stock CD player out first, but for some reason I just haven't done mine yet. I'll probably wait till mine won't give me my cd's back! :rof

·
Registered
19 Posts
My truck did the same thing, and then the buttons stopped working all together. My airbag light then went on and my screen said "Service Airbag". i took it to my mechanic and he said it was an airbag sensor that was shorting out the wiring harness to the steering wheel and it woulda put me back 500 bucks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a 2004 quad cab over the summer with the extendable mirriors. Mine also only worked on one side so a buddy of mine bein a smarta$$ grabbed the mirrior as I pushed the button as he pulled on it it came out and he pushed it in repeatedly until it worked flawlessy. No problems since

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
The mirrors just need to be worked. The light in the steering wheel is a pain you have to pull the steering wheel and replace the whole button. I know that some one on here will tell you that you can takeit apart and get a new light at raido shack but I tried it and lets just say it was not worth the time. the CD player most likely got dirty and jamed the eject motor on the cd track (if you have the 6 disk changer). No way really to fix it I would just buy one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My truck did the same thing, and then the buttons stopped working all together. My airbag light then went on and my screen said "Service Airbag". i took it to my mechanic and he said it was an airbag sensor that was shorting out the wiring harness to the steering wheel and it woulda put me back 500 bucks.

Im going to say that he was trying to tell you that your clock spring was shot... I bought one a couple weeks ago here for a 01 Duramax for 30 bucks if i remember correctly... keep in mind this was at a wreckers... but it works fine..

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You need to remove the steering wheel and replace the switches that are out. There is a programming update the dealer can do that 98% fixes the wont eject or accept cds. If you have cds stuck remove the radio fuse in the underhood fuese block for 1 minute and reinstall it. The cd player will eject and the cds will pop out.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
You should not have to remove the steering wheel. They just pry out, then disconnect the wires and then disassemble the switch.

Mine shouldnt be any different than yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pryed my switches out with a small screw driver, unhook wires, take the back cover off be careful don't lose the small pieces, unsolder the old light and solder in the new one. I have to find the number but I know I bought them at Radio Shack for less than 2 bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Impotent mirror thing.....

I bought a 2004 quad cab over the summer with the extendable mirriors. Mine also only worked on one side so a buddy of mine bein a smarta$$ grabbed the mirrior as I pushed the button as he pulled on it it came out and he pushed it in repeatedly until it worked flawlessy. No problems since
Since my original post, both mirrors have stopped extending. Now, I will have to try your friend, the smarta$$'$ trick. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steering wheel button lights

I pryed my switches out with a small screw driver, unhook wires, take the back cover off be careful don't lose the small pieces, unsolder the old light and solder in the new one. I have to find the number but I know I bought them at Radio Shack for less than 2 bucks.
I will attempt this fix tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!:drink

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Durarallymax is right you can pry them out with a screwdriver. Its way faster for me when i do them to remove the airbag, steering wheel and back cover to gain easy access to the connectors. I can do all of them in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much are new buttons? My buttons/lights work, but the surface is pretty roughed up on a couple and it just looks worn/bad when you get in. If it is an easy fix and not expensive I might just swap in some new ones myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any DIY write up with pictures on how to replace the buttons/lights? Also any recommendations on where to get new buttons/lights? Never taken a steering wheel off, I would hate for me to mess something up with the air bad and everything.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bought all new buttons from rock auto or gm direct. Cant remember where. It was around 50-60 shipped to me. Some do pry out and are easily replaced others can be a very short wired and a pain. I replaced all of them because it was a pain for one might as well do all st once.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts