Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...after reading some more hidden posts I didn't find before...I'm starting to wonder something. I want a PPE so I can get better MPG and HP. And someone said rule of thumb never go over 90HP on a stock allison 6 speed. BUT...someone said since the LBZ engine was boosted up a bit in HP...that it will Limp easily on 90HP. TyreBoyz said he has a PPE on 90HP but you can't be WOT in higher gears. The two reasons I'm getting this is because MPG, and being able to punch it while going 50 to 60 in NY traffic. I would def. NOT want to limp the tranny in the middle of NY city. So should I not even bother to get one? Or will the 40HP gain allow me to gun it in every gear and give me a noticeable difference in power and MPG? I just don't want to waste 500.00 for a 1MPG gain and not being able to notice a power difference.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well to be honest i'm runnin the PPE HOT +2 on the #6 350hp setting right now as we speek and i never had it in limp mode but the only time i let-er-rip is in the first 3 gears,i gained 4mpg over stock runnin the high setting and on the 2nd setting i mgained 2 to a little over 2 as a average and it had enough extra power to be happy with for most people but i wanted more and i plan on a bigger tranny so i'm not worried if i slip the clutches..

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is actually a program that will give you 350 HP?

Man I fall in love with diesel more and more everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That's 350 hp at the flywheel. either way that is a huge gain.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I have heard that alot of the old 5 speeds cant handle the power (90HP+) and burn the clutches in the higher gear. However with the new 6 speeds and the extra gear they should be able to handle more power. You can also get the transgo jr. Its a internal kit that will increase line pressure so the clutches wont slip from gear to gear.

The only thing that im not sure about is that if 90HP is the mark then what about the power added from aftermarket exhaust and intake :confused:

Im in the same boat as you. I can get the power but dont want to put the $$$ in a tranny. Im probably gonna get a small tune and the transgo for the lead foot moments :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i ran the stock CAI and a after market exhaust along with the PPE economy(160hp)for a year and 60k miles and never had it in limp mode and i have towed with this setup also..

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Limping is the start of damaging the tranny. Usually by the time the truck cuts back the power, damage has already been done. Now, normally you can limp the tranny many times before it is not driveable, but it gets easier and easier the more you do it.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've established with my cat back system...that MBRP says I will gain 12 HP and lower my EGTs by 200. I notice no difference in power...just lower gas mileage and a hum over 50 MPH. I have been considering trying turbo back....but cops are A-holes around here. But it looks cool and was 500.00 so I'm keeping it. I'm not really sure if I want a programmer now...just even thinking about my tranny going into limp mode in NY would make me shoot myself on spot. And that's really a chance I can't take. Cuz some people say they don't go into limp...and other say it's easy...and I def. don't have the money to upgrade the tranny. Thanx for all your help guys.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Light sometimes goes on and it will lock out 5th gear on yours (since yours is a 5 speed) and you won't be able to go over 2000 rpms in 4th.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told you can clear the codes...but everytime you 'limp' it....you hurt the tranny a bit...and the more you 'limp' it..the easier it gets.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i never limped my LBZ but i have limped the 05 LLY back when it had the stock tranny and all it did was go into something like neutral and stayed there untill i went under 5mph and then it kicked in but it had a code(incorrect gear)but i forget the code #..

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yeah, you need one of the aftermarket scanners to clear the code. The handheld programmers will not read and clear the transmission codes. I know EFI Live can read and clear the codes though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Oh you will know when it is in limp mode because the tranny locks itself into third gear. You will feel a shudder in the truck like something broke. This happens to be a major pain especially when pulling a trailer and coming to a stop light, since lowend torque doesn't really help if your in third gear. I have done it three times in the past year ans a half. Oh and the check engine light comes on too.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
keep the hp down a little such as never go over 90hp on a stock tranny and keep the WOT in the higher gears to a minimum and you'll never have a limped tranny..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.