Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would like to hear from each of the gentlemen if they are still running the additives and if they are still seeing the advantages of doing so.

Thanks,
-Mark
Yes I am still running it, and am still seeing the benefits. Regens are further apart, the regen cycle takes less miles, and the soot gram counter does not run to to 15 grams right after the regen completes.

As far as "protecting" the DPF, who knows. I cannot see inside of it to tell, but judging from the above info and my differential exhaust pressure ( measured before and after the DPF) I'd say its helping to keep things clean.

·
Registered
486 Posts
same as above,,regens are staying at 500ish + and soot grams go to 0-4gms.about ready to order some more.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is the active ingredient.....

...and if you Google it, you are let to pages like this.

It's very unique in how it works.....

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I snapped these photos today driving down to San Diego. Less than 40 grams of soot, less then .5 psi DPF backpressure, 543 miles on the clock. This stuff made a difference to me. It's a 2011 LML with 120k on it and it runs like a top.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been following this thread, appreciate the posts. Just ordered some along with their DPF Cleaner. I have a 2011 LML with close to 200K, my L5p, and a 2017 Ford F-450 flatbed at my business. The cleaner is going in the 2011 immediately and at recommended levels. Going to run the protector in my 2017 which only has 65K on it. Probably running the cleaner through the Ford as it had clogged the DPF once in 60K miles that required a dealer visit. I'll post my results.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds like a fuel borne catalyst as a previous poster mentioned, helps your engine create less soot thereby extending your regen intervals. You can buy another product by the gallon, Max Mileage by Pittsburgh Power. It's on their website, at different dealers around the country as well as some truckstops. It's $220 per gallon and treats 3200 gallons, so less than 7 cents per gallon. It's also available in smaller quantities. Some truckers are starting to issue pretty good testimonials on the stuff. In addition to extended regen intervals and reduced DEF usage, many are reporting 1/2 - 1mpg fuel mileage increase which is a pretty big deal when you're only getting 6 or 7mpg in the first place. Not sure how that translates to our pickup trucks but hopefully similar results.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah benzene is bad stuff, I wouldn't put in on my breakfast cereal or use it for hand cleaner. Not much harm in dumping it in your fuel tank though. At the recommended dosage of 1 ounce per 25 gallons of fuel, it roughly just doubles the amount of benzene that's already in your fuel. And even then, the new benzene level in the treated diesel fuel is nowhere near the amount of benzene in gasoline.

I haven't checked SDS reports on any products but I'm sure most of the fuel additives we use routinely are full of bad stuff like benzene, toluene, xylene, etc. etc. It's all bad stuff, just be careful with it, don't get it on you and if you do, get it washed off soon.

Carcinogens are everywhere.
New car smell? Carcinogen.
Little bit of burnt edges on your steak from the BBQ grille? Carcinogen.
Hell I even have a tube of ointment that a dermatologist prescribed for a skin condition that has a carcinogen warning on the label.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am going to try this also time will tell

·
Registered
486 Posts
my truck just went 565miles before it started to regen and it was one of the fastest clean out miles wise I've had,about 22 miles.soot mass went to 4grams.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My truck regened yesterday 55 miles and only got down to 9 this number has been slowly risen I ordered a can this morning I will post my findings

·
Registered
486 Posts
need to order some more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@DMaxRocks apologies for the delayed response. When I first got my truck I was getting between 250 and 300 miles between regens. At first I began using an additive for cetane and lubricity and the mileage creeped up to 475 after some period of time. For reference my truck regens at 497.1 miles or 100% soot load. After using Better Diesel the first change I noticed wast that regen always triggered on mileage and the percentage would be around 80%. This has continued to improve. My truck has the option to disable the auto regen feature and I use this to measure how the truck performs. Currently with auto regen disabled I can go over 700 miles between regens. This is empty going back and forth to work and some hwy miles. I don't get that far between regens when towing before reaching 100% but I don't have the exact numbers in front of me because I haven't towed a complete regen cycle in a long time.
As far as Better Diesel effect on the DPF's health, its hard to say. But anytime you can limit the amount of heat cool cycles on a piece of equipment the better. Once I get the numbers on how much it costs to use I will let you know.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been on lockdown since I ran my first tank. Burned less than half a tank over two weeks. No noticeable change but my driving habits are vastly different now. Soot seems to be accumulating the same but no highway driving. Starting to go back to work tomorrow so I hope I burn a tank or two this week.

·
Registered
273 Posts
@DMaxRocks apologies for the delayed response. When I first got my truck I was getting between 250 and 300 miles between regens. At first I began using an additive for cetane and lubricity and the mileage creeped up to 475 after some period of time. For reference my truck regens at 497.1 miles or 100% soot load. After using Better Diesel the first change I noticed wast that regen always triggered on mileage and the percentage would be around 80%. This has continued to improve. My truck has the option to disable the auto regen feature and I use this to measure how the truck performs. Currently with auto regen disabled I can go over 700 miles between regens. This is empty going back and forth to work and some hwy miles. I don't get that far between regens when towing before reaching 100% but I don't have the exact numbers in front of me because I haven't towed a complete regen cycle in a long time.
As far as Better Diesel effect on the DPF's health, its hard to say. But anytime you can limit the amount of heat cool cycles on a piece of equipment the better. Once I get the numbers on how much it costs to use I will let you know.
Ahh, I see you're running Better Diesel. I posted a new thread a few days ago looking for feedback on BD or similar products. I started the new discussion since I'm looking more for performance/fuel mileage data and didn't want to derail this thread on emission systems gains.
I'll bump it back to the top. Hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Went 500 miles on 35 grams of soot! Why am I posting this? It was 90% city miles! Still using the DPF protector but I filled up with HPD at the beginning of this cycle. I use it pretty regularly in the LLY as it's near a jobsite I drive to, but this time I took the LML and filled it up. This stuff is rendered deep-fryer grease, not bio diesel. It always makes the LLY run really quiet and peppy, and the LML loves it too! I wish there were more stations around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@AlisoBob do you think Propel Fuels has helped with your soot accumulation? I have been looking for something similar to Propel but on the east coast I haven't found anything. In the mean time I have been looking for oil brands that say they are low ash. I currently use rotella t6 and it claims to help reduce stress on after treatment systems. Chevron Delo 600 ADF 15W-40 claims to extend the life of the DPF by 2.5 times. A low ash oil in conjunction with the additive will hopefully make for longer distances between regens.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts