Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 2500hd (LB7) that has 120k on it.I have done the following mods/upgrades already: cold air intake,electric fan conversion,MBRP 5" exhaust,New stock injectors,Juisc Edge with Atittude,Air Dog II.
I was wanting to do a aftermarket turbo set-up.I have a friend thats a Garret distributor and I can get their kit reasonably.I was wandering what anyone knows about these kits and if you have to get the truck tuned once you do put the turbo on?
I also have seen the "modded" CP3 injection pump.They claim 42% increase from stock.Will this make my truck smoke more,or is it again gonna need retuned since the ecu controls fuel?Im tired of my buddied smokin me out with their chummins.
Thanks for the advice if you have any!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you want the truck to run right then yes you need to tune it after and use the turbo to the max. A modded pump isnt needed unless you want huge power. Also do you have a trans upgrade yet? What kind of power # are you after? You can hit 500 on stock turbo.

·
Registered
532 Posts
get efilive and a gmax trans. pretty much what 99% of ppl are going to tell you

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not really sure about power.It tows really good now.I just want it to smoke,so how do I achieve it?I drive it everyday,and to be truthfull I got waxed by an 05 chummins the other day,and I didnt like it.I'm still on stock tranny.When youo say 500hp an stock turbo,are you meaning flywheel hp?How does a person achieve this?
Im guessing youll tell me the edge is junk?The aftermarkt turbo is more far the whistle than anything.These DMAX's are to quiet.I have to have smoke,thats all there is to it.Im also guessing that youll say EFI LIVE tuners for the tune?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get efilive and a gmax trans. pretty much what 99% of ppl are going to tell you
We posted at the same time,lol.Have you heard of stacking EFI live on the edge?A local shop mentioned it to me once.Also do you have a link for the tranny?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
NO do not stack edge and EFI
you will want just EFI
efi will do everything you could ever think of for tuning your truck and then some
edge is bad for these trucks..u wont even need a turbo to smoke the cummins efi and a trans kit you will win

·
Registered
669 Posts
its a great looking truck man. What would help is get rid of the edge and get efi or go cheaper and get a ppe tuner. A transmission will really help hold all the power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO do not stack edge and EFI
you will want just EFI
efi will do everything you could ever think of for tuning your truck and then some
edge is bad for these trucks..u wont even need a turbo to smoke the cummins efi and a trans kit you will win
Well the Dodge Im talking about has some kind of AURORA on it,but he says he runs 13:00 in the 1/4! This is when I just pull out my 1000 hp turbo mustang,but then it wouldnt be fair.This guy owns a local diesel performance shop here in town (New Era Diesel),I just wanna be more preppared next time we meet.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Is the EFI on a switch chip,or is it just one tune?
you can get a pre tuned ecm and get a dsp switch with five tunes or you can do a single tune

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Well the Dodge Im talking about has some kind of AURORA on it,but he says he runs 13:00 in the 1/4! This is when I just pull out my 1000 hp turbo mustang,but then it wouldnt be fair.This guy owns a local diesel performance shop here in town (New Era Diesel),I just wanna be more preppared next time we meet.
you get EFI and trans and you will run 12's so you dont need a turbo these trucks dont need turbos like other trucks do

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
you can get a pre tuned ecm and get a dsp switch with five tunes or you can do a single tune
You can buy a ecm already tuned?Do I send mine in as a core?Also do you have a link for such a thing?
I know of one shop an hour away that tunes with efi live,but I found it weird that they dont have a dyno.When I was building turbo drag/street cars my DYNOJET 248 was a must.

Also ,if I kept the edge in there and kept it on stock,wouldnt it be cool? I know what your thinking,Why right? Well I would like to keep it just for monitoring engine peramiters,I could keep it on stock setting.I like the small digital display,I dont want big bulky guages.

·
Registered
669 Posts
it should be ok i run my my bullydog for gauges only im not to sure with the edge though, and you would send your ecm in and it will come back tuned. Im not to sure on the process but im sure someone would chime in. I think your best bet would be to get a hold of Idahorob on here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I better just find a local shop to do it,I cant be without my truck while the computer is out of it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
that or do everything yourself

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
u can buy an ECM and then they will tune that and u can put it in..or you can just buy efi buy dsp5 buy tunes and put it in yourself

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
If you just want smoke, I wont comment, as everybody else already knows my opinion on that issue.

if you want power, then ditch the edge and build your transmission. If you wanna beat that other guy, you will need something to put the power to the ground first. If you just add power you will be stuck with a burnt up trans before long. They dont like much extra power.

The stock LB7 turbo has been proven to run 550hp on a dyno and run 12.4s at the track.

If you really want to get everything dialed in perfect you will want EFI Live or preferably somebody who knows what they are doing with EFI Live. Then if you want to get your raging boner from blowing smoke, you can create a smoke tune as well.

Modded Cp3s are not needed nor are the worth it IMO. Add twins, then if you really need fuel add modded twins. The Wicked Diesels CP3s are the best modded ones on the market IMO. But you should leave your Cp3 stock. If you want a little more fuel you could add an LBZ CP3. But a Stock LBZ CP3 will flow enough fuel for a stock motor.

As for the Garrett turbos, it depends on which one you want to get, but you have to build your transmission first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I had my speed shop I had a tunerand we used programs like Fast,Hondata,Chrome,Aem.I wouldnt know what do do on a diesel.Id rather buy one and have it shipped,pay pay a core charge or something and ship my stock ecu back once I had the new one in.
Are mail order tunes dependable?I had alot of people bringing their cars to the shop because their tunes were wrong.We can to the conclusion that its impossible to tune a ecm or write a program on a chip for a car (gasoline) because there are to many variables to take into consideration.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts