Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to rant a little bit.. a buddy of mine got his truck tuned by our local tuner we asked him about tuners in the states that where or our bigger much bigger then him and he says we'll typical there is to aggressive with there tuning they breaks cranks blah blah but when people say that about him he stats tunes don't break cranks people driving the trucks break cranks.....like wtf!! When you talk about parts to another tuners they don't understand how to tune it properly or just don't understand it and can't get it right away it's shit or garbage blah blah like just man up and say I don't under stand or I can't make it work. Those parts are breaking your motor blah blah like honestly fuck off like just shut up...I read about danvilles stg2 and stg3 and here guess bitch and complain and say it's a shit turbo or it doesn't spool or it breaks cranka blah blah like shut the fuck up...honestly fucking tuners man we are in a industry where good tuners are a dying breed or they have been Ratted out and pinched by EPA or ministry of environment then tools come in and ask stupid questions about "Hey I am new and I wanna be cool and roll coal and be cool! Delete my truck" makes me so frustrated and annoyed and ready just to walk away from this crazy shit. I have duramaxs since they first came out with the lb7 to the current l5p have done big builds to just a air intake and kept it stock. Just over the stupid Honda civic kids that got a diesel.. sorry just pissed off with this crap.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,879 Posts
Yeah, it gets old, doesn't it? But this situation is normal in every industry, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, a diesel pickup seems to be this decade's VW Jetta or Toyota Supra for tuner bro's.

·
Administrator
16,976 Posts
The problem with tunes is that most damage caused by tunes is not immediately visible or visible for an extended period of time. A large name does not mean they are a good tuner and a referral is often just someone who likes the "seat of the pants dyno". This "great" tuning can be causing failures reducing life from 200k miles to 75k miles; after 75k miles nobody thinks "did the tuning cause this early mile failure".

Tuning is equally a science and an art; I remember big tuners tuning some race engines years ago that had failing internals and when the tune was looked at it had excessive timing which was attributed to the failure.

Like you said, there are not many tuners out there and so we are stuck looking for available vs good. Many of the best tuners have retired and honestly most tuners started out making compromises they were unaware they were making which reduced long term reliability of the engine.

It's unfortunate tuners are bad mouthing each other and more frustrating when they speak out of both sides of their mouth.

I have never seen a crank broken from a bad tune, but other failures like rods, pistons, etc. can be caused by a tune.

Also, a tuner should NEVER cover up a mechanical issue; if you have a bad MAF replace the MAF, do not tune around it or when you do replace the MAF the truck will run terrible.

This is a sensitive subject for me as well, unfortunately we've lost some of the best tuners to the EPA restrictions and this is exactly why we don't have public discussions, because the tuners tuning race trucks in legal applications are getting shut down from social media and forum posts. We just do not want to accelerate that happening; lots of good tuners out there and hopefully we'll find the next generation of great ones to take over the ones getting shut down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just the stupidity behind it really I love how the "tuner" built home 3 different motors 3 different ways never did the bottom end really besides rods and pistons but never a crank or other supporting mods but my buddy gets tuning else where makes more power and the crank breaks "used stockers" buddy builds the motor right this time and now tuner is telling him the tuner he used is to aggressive and the Danville turbo is to hard on the truck its not ment for it or this tune is junk or these parts done work he had a excuse for everything and how he is right.... it's just blows my mind and pisses me off to know end. Like my buddy got yelled at by the guy who built his motor when he found out they where used "low km" blocks or whatever so finally build said enough is enough do this.... and now they tuner is talking smack yeah know... it's bad when the engine builder even says I can hook you up with the guy that tunes my truck and my computation pull truck..it's so bad my buddy is legit just getting a tuner from the states to tune it with his fully built truck and sell it he is so over it and had such a bad taste in his mouth for all the money he spent and all he got was bullshit from someone he trusted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts