Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I did a fuel pressure regulator in my truck because it was looping bad. probably a few months ago. Then I red my injector rates after and i was shooting high rates on two injectors. So i replaced 4 and 6. Now my truck is starting to act up again. Right now while its in drive its just non stop white smoke and it smells bad. The truck starts to lope now too just a little nothing major. When i put it in netural no lope but still a little white smoke. Nothing compairs to when its in drive and my foot is on the break. Anyone have any ideas???? Need them, thank you

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Start with injectors need balance rates. Any loss of coolant? Milky oil? Could be headgasket also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on my lunch break ill run out and check the injector rates. i just did an oil change not even a month ago and the oil was perfect i do one before every 5 thousand miles. As far as coolant goes i havent checked it or changed it since i did my injectors which was christmas time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any blow by? Done a compression check?
What's blow by? And no everyone told me to but I don't have the tool and don't want to break a plug off in the head

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just ran my injector balance rates.
Cold in drive
inj1 -0.7
inj2 -0.1
inj3 0.0
inj4 -3.0
inj5 0.3
inj6 7.6
inj7 -2.4
inj8 -1.0

took it around the block, the engine temp was 140
inj1 -0.3
inj2 -1.3
inj3 1.5
inj4 -5.0
inj5 1.9
inj6 5.6
inj7 -0.8
inj8 -1.1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Start with injectors need balance rates. Any loss of coolant? Milky oil? Could be headgasket also.
checked coolant as well its still at full. oil is fresh and full as well.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Really need rates at operating temp (185)

Have you done the ice pick fix and inspected your wiring harness?

#4 #6 dont look to good but you really need rates at operating temp

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really need rates at operating temp (185)

Have you done the ice pick fix and inspected your wiring harness?

#4 #6 dont look to good but you really need rates at operating temp
like i said before at christmas i just replaced injector 4 and 6 because they were shooting a rate of 8 and 10. ive never herd of the ice pick fix and when i did the injectors I look at the harness and nothing looked bad all tight good connections and no fraid wires.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
185? I cant get mine over a normal operating temp of 176

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just recently I did a fuel pressure regulator in my truck because it was looping bad. probably a few months ago. Then I red my injector rates after and i was shooting high rates on two injectors. So i replaced 4 and 6. Now my truck is starting to act up again. Right now while its in drive its just non stop white smoke and it smells bad. The truck starts to lope now too just a little nothing major. When i put it in netural no lope but still a little white smoke. Nothing compairs to when its in drive and my foot is on the break. Anyone have any ideas???? Need them, thank you
Poooooring white smoke
At 187 degrees
Inj1 -2.1
Inj2 -2.7
Inj3 -1.3
Inj4 -6.0
Inj5 2.7
Inj6 15.1
Inj7 -2.3
Inj8 -2.0

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Here is the cylinder lay-out. Passenger side -Right- 1-3-5-7, and the Left side Driver;s-- 2-4-6-8. Some mistake the lay-out when working on a Duramax. Check make sure you replaced the correct ones.

Pouring white smoke is not a good sign-- but can be injectors, or a bad head gasket. After you drive it, and it has sit overnight, is the top radiator hose still hard-? If yes, that is usually a sign of bad head gasket.

Duramax engines do not mix coolant with the engine oil, when a head gasket leaks.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
You should look up the ice pick fix.

But #6 is crazy high adding fuel which can be because a loss in compression. Pressure test the coolant system and even though you dont want to you need to do a compression test...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the cylinder lay-out. Passenger side -Right- 1-3-5-7, and the Left side Driver;s-- 2-4-6-8. Some mistake the lay-out when working on a Duramax. Check make sure you replaced the correct ones.

Pouring white smoke is not a good sign-- but can be injectors, or a bad head gasket. After you drive it, and it has sit overnight, is the top radiator hose still hard-? If yes, that is usually a sign of bad head gasket.

Duramax engines do not mix coolant with the engine oil, when a head gasket leaks.
What is the ice pick fix??? Also yes I replaced the right injectors on the driver side the middle two. Just for Hahas I decided to disconnect my banks chip, so that my truck was completely stock. No white smoke at all and my balance rates were inj4 was -2 and inj6 was 6.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
How the hell did you get it to 187? I wish I could get semi normal temps like that

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Pull the glow plug on cyl #2, #4 and #6 (#8 is a pain) and run a compression test on them (all should be around 400 psi)

Use this for the test:
12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester

Post up your results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts