Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been building my LLY for a couple years now. Its been a slow process with all other projects going on. So im to the point now where im ready to fire it up. Made sure all the wires are secure, good grounds and good voltage. What i was told to do was to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it to make sure there is oil throughout the motor and to the turbo. Once that is done put the fuse in and start it. WELL all didnt go as planned. The ignition key in the cab wont crank it over so i resorted to jump the starter with a screw driver just to turn if over. Counld't get oil to circulate to the top of the turbo so than i took the oil filter off, no oil. Had him crank with the filter off, no change. (and yes there is oil in the motor). Talked to some people and they said try starting it and run it for a few seconds to see if it builds oil pressure, seems sketchy to me but i gave it a whirl. Truck still didnt start after all that. SO it has me stumped. Hooked up the scanner to the OBDII, put all the info in and the scanner wasnt able to communicate with the truck. So im at a halt in the road here as to where to turn and what to fix or try next. Research says maybe the ECM just from sitting so long on dead batteries? I cant see how thats possible. This is all a new game to me now. Any advice with be helpful or where to turn next!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Check/replace if necessary the cigarette lighter fuse, it powers the OBD port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is power to the OBDII port. The scanner powers on from the port but once you put in all the info, it trys to communicate and it cant.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
So ive been building my LLY for a couple years now. Its been a slow process with all other projects going on. So im to the point now where im ready to fire it up. Made sure all the wires are secure, good grounds and good voltage. What i was told to do was to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it to make sure there is oil throughout the motor and to the turbo. Once that is done put the fuse in and start it. WELL all didnt go as planned. The ignition key in the cab wont crank it over so i resorted to jump the starter with a screw driver just to turn if over. Counld't get oil to circulate to the top of the turbo so than i took the oil filter off, no oil. Had him crank with the filter off, no change. (and yes there is oil in the motor). Talked to some people and they said try starting it and run it for a few seconds to see if it builds oil pressure, seems sketchy to me but i gave it a whirl. Truck still didnt start after all that. SO it has me stumped. Hooked up the scanner to the OBDII, put all the info in and the scanner wasnt able to communicate with the truck. So im at a halt in the road here as to where to turn and what to fix or try next. Research says maybe the ECM just from sitting so long on dead batteries? I cant see how thats possible. This is all a new game to me now. Any advice with be helpful or where to turn next!

the scanner not working is probably a blown fuse, if memory serves pin 14 on the OBDII is hot at all times, you can meter to verify.

As for the oil, that is a mechanical system and should not be effected by wiring, did the pickup fall off at some point in assembly maybe?

I doubt your ECM is bad from nothing besides sitting around in a shop, that seems like the least likely option, and it would not change the oil issue.

What you can do is meter the wires at the ignition switch for the following functions to confirm that you have power distribution to the engine.

Yellow should go hot in the start position only
pink and white should go hot in run and start
orange and brown should go hot in accessory and run but drop out in start

If your not getting power on any of those wires, check the red wires at the switch, they are the feed from the fuse box, if no power there, check fuses, if no power there, check fuse links, battery cables, junction box ect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.