Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have an aFe stage 2 CAI and i am going to get the LBZ mouthpiece but can i run the mouthpiece and the CAI i already have or will it be to much air? because id hate to have a useless CAI because it wasn't cheap lol thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
I have an aFe stage 2 CAI and i am going to get the LBZ mouthpiece but can i run the mouthpiece and the CAI i already have or will it be to much air? because id hate to have a useless CAI because it wasn't cheap lol thanks for any help!
As long as the CAI is the one for the LLY Duramax, you are fine with mating it to an LBZ inlet

·
Registered
387 Posts
yea its on there now its for the LLY and i know you have to modify the tube because the LBZ mouthpiece comes farther up then the LLY mouthpiece but i wasnt sure if with both of them i would take in to much air will i need to get anything done to the MAF sensor or will it run fine?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
yea its on there now its for the LLY and i know you have to modify the tube because the LBZ mouthpiece comes farther up then the LLY mouthpiece but i wasnt sure if with both of them i would take in to much air will i need to get anything done to the MAF sensor or will it run fine?
It will run just fine. You will just have to cut the pipe from the air filter off where it goes to the longer mouthpiece to make it fit. You may need a new coupler depending on the size of your cold air intake tube where you cut it. The MAF sensor is normally located near the air filter and only needs to be recalibrated if the diameter of the tube where it is mounted is changed. This is the case if you change to a 2006 stock or aftermarket air intake.

Most of the cold air intake systems I have seen have a heat shield that does not seal the air filter off from the engine compartment. I suggest you make sure it is well sealed to the radiator support and inner fender area. On the inner fender you will see some foil over 2 oval holes. Cut out the 2 oval holes, this will allow more cold air to come form behind the headlights and around in through the inner fender, this is another of the things the factory did in 2006 to help the problem. It is very important to seal off a stock or aftermarket air filter box or intake filter. When you cooling fan comes on it will force the hot air from the radiator stack into the engine compartment and into the air filter. Some of the multiple gauge displays like the edge can display the IAT (intake air temp). Most report the intake air temp runs about 10 deg higher than outside air tem until the fan comes on and then there intake air temp rises 50-75 deg. The rise in temperature caused air density to go down, the computer is still calling for the same amount of boost so the vanes in the turbo adjust creating more heat to the already wormer air, the warmer air then goes to the inner cooler in the stack, that heat is drawn out of the cooler by the engine fan and into the engine bay and the air intake gets that warmer air forced toward it and sucks it in and the problem increases until the stack heat load decreases enough to allow the engine fan to disengage. This is why you need to seal off the air intake area from the engine compartment. When I sealed off my air filter box from the engine compartment my clutch fan would only cycle and my coolant temp would stay in check on the same grades where before the fan would come on and stay on and my water temp would stay in the 210 to 215 range (where my fan comes on) or continue to creep up and not go down until I topped the hill and started down the other side. When I am towing on grades and my fan comes on I will turn off my AC and roll down the windows until I hit the top. I was amazed how much heat the AC puts into the stack. I have also read where some have also turned on the heater full blast basically turning the heater core into an auxiliary radiator.

Another thing to note is the factory temp gauge is a step style gauge and will no adjust form the 195 range to the next step witch is around 220 to 225. This is part of the explanation of why your engine fan comes on and your temp gauge shows normal while driving down the road.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry it took me so log to reply but yea I have removed the foil and I am going to order my mouth piece tonight and my CAI has a metal heat shield around the filter and the tub is a 4" and is much larger then the factory tube but I didn't have any problems when I installed it and ill check to see if it is sealed off from the radiator and my coupler is a 4" to 3" will that still work on the lbz mouthpiece

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I need a little help I installed my lbz mouthpiece last Thursday everything went fine but I noticed Saturday night I defueled at wot that's the first time I've ever defueled before I didn't think a whole lot about it but then I noticed on my way to work this morning going down the road if I let off the throttle sometimes not always sometimes the frp gauge would drop and the truck would slow way down like it was spuddering and gonna die now idk if it could be putting the mouthpiece messed with my maps or not because it is tuned and it was tuned before the mouthpiece but the mouthpiece is also the only thing I've put on in the past couple months so I didn't know if it might be the mouthpiece or if its just a coincidence and something else is going bad can anyone help me out please?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
When did you change the fuel filter last? Opening up that restriction may have you tickling the skinny pedal a bit more, revealing a starvation of fuel issue.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It probably has around 11000 on it maybe more but it feels almost like it is cutting fuel it did it again today but while on was on the throttle just enough to keep it going 50mph it stated jumping around I didn't think about the fuel filter needing replaced I just replaced it in October but I have order everything to build my lift pump so hopefully by the end of next week at the latest ill have a lift pump and cat filters on it and may delete the factor filter sometime also but I have no signs of my injectors going bad so the only thing I could think of was that getting that more air in and not having a lift pump would cause it to fuel cut

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Is your air filter an oil type? The Duramax at 3000 rpm and 20 pounds of boost will consume the air in an 8x10 room in 1 min. The massive amount of air flow will pull some of the oil from the filter if it is over oiled and get on the mass air flow sensor and cause some strange results. I would try the fuel filter first and a can of MAF cleaner to the sensor if the filter does not help. 11000 is not to bad on the filter but it only takes 1 tank of bad fuel to plug a filter. A change in the shifting is also an indication of fuel filter plugged.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I do have an oiled filter but its been about 3 months since I cleaned it last and haven't had any problems so I don't think it is an over oiled problem but I'm putting in my lift pump and cat filters as soon as they get here so hopefully early next week and I'm going to delete the factory filter head all together. But where can I buy maf sensor cleaner is it at any auto parts store? I'd like to clean it anyway just because I haven't since I bought the truck. Thanks

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Its a must for any LLY owner who has not done this easy swap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
05 lly, was backing out of my parking spot put the truck in drive started trying to turn and POP! Now I have no steering.. Help

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi everyone, I thought you might be interested in some flowbench data for the LBZ mouthpiece modification for the LLY engine. I was bored yesterday so I ran a few bits across my flowbench.

This modification is the best thing you can do for an LLY! There is no point in buying a CAI with the stock mouthpiece, it is a terrible restriction. I was also suprised that an air filter with less than 17,000 miles was showing restriction.

The chart shows the flow through the mouthpieces only, then the LLY mouthpiece with only the stock duct, then the entire stock LLY system with a used air filter, then a new air filter. The last column is the LLY / LBZ hybrid complete induction system with a clean air filter.

My bench would only pull 21 In-H2O with the LLY / LBZ hybrid induction system, if you look at the orange columns you can see the benefit of this modification. The entire hybrid system with a filter flows more air than the LLY mouthpiece alone by a large amount.

Thanks for a great website, I took your advice and did this modification, it is the best bang for the buck for any LLY owner!
Camdoc...can you repost the graph if you still have it? I guess something has happened along the way and I can't see it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: James McCray
201 - 218 of 218 Posts