Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered the AFE turbo mouthpiece and just installed 4" strait pipe. between both of these mods my truck runs awsome. im looking for fuel economy and dont care about extra power because my truck makes plenty of power as is.
if anything i will get PPE economy, but i want to prolong the life of my engine/tranny. some people say running the exhaust is only good if your making big power because the engine needs "backpressure" but im not so sure.
should i be running a tune with this "air flow" or is it alright to run it stock?
any info would be appreciated
thanks ,nick

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about, you get back pressure from your turbo.

That said, you can get better mileage if you got a good EFI Live tune, I get 19.x mpg city / freeway mixed on a 90 hp tune.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The question I choose to propose to you, whether or not you choose to accept it..

Why go with a canned setup (PPE) over a pre tuned EFI live ecu w/ dsp2 that will run CIRCLES around any canned setup and run more efficiently for the same (if not slightly less expensive) price?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i first bought my truck i never thought i was going to get EFI or go that far into mods, but the more im on the forum and the more i think about it, i would be better off getting EFI with 5 tunes.
i guess i thought it was too complicated, and i still dont know %100 how to install/purchase it.
what would be the best way to go about getting EFI with 5 custom tunes and how to install?
i dont like to do anything to my truck that i dont know about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about, you get back pressure from your turbo.

That said, you can get better mileage if you got a good EFI Live tune, I get 19.x mpg city / freeway mixed on a 90 hp tune.
so the turbo supplies the engine with all the backpressure it needs? or is more restriction still required like Exhaust piping.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Go on duramaxtuner.com or ATPTrucks.com (NOT adrenalinetruckperformance.com). both great tuners who can set you up!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
when i first bought my truck i never thought i was going to get EFI or go that far into mods, but the more im on the forum and the more i think about it, i would be better off getting EFI with 5 tunes.
i guess i thought it was too complicated, and i still dont know %100 how to install/purchase it.
what would be the best way to go about getting EFI with 5 custom tunes and how to install?
i dont like to do anything to my truck that i dont know about.
To purchase you give one of the vendors a call, whomever you decide to purchase through. I personally chose ATP, since I feel their tunes are among the best and their customer service is spectacular. With that being said, you will discuss with them your options/plans etc and let them know along what lines you want your different tune setups to be.

If you with a v2, then you will pull your stock tune, email it to the tuner and that is where they will get your base tune to build upon. They will then email you several different files that you will load via the v2. The only thing you have to hook up is the dsp2/5 switch, which is a wire harness from the ecm to into the cab.

If you go with a pre tuned ecm, you remove your ecm, send it in the mail to the tuner of your choice, where they load your tunes onto it. They then send you your ecm back and all you have to worry about it plugging it in and (like above) wiring your dsp2/5 switch in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i do it i think i would rather have 5 tunes instead of 2what way do you suggest doing it? and about how much will it cost?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well if you can afford it, the v2 setup is the best of the best. Being able to log/load read data is a big selling point to me. However the price tag is up there. The pre tuned ecm option is an easy/inexpensive way to run superior tuning on a budget.

My suggestion would be to give Dustin a call at ATP tomorrow when you have a chance to discuss pricing, as it's generally a no-no to throw pricing numbers around on the forum.

208-685-1000

·
Registered
57 Posts

Yea I get the same thing with my Hypertec for half the price.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I guarantee you the hyper tech you're running doesn't even run remotely close an efi setup in terms of drivability, egt, etc.. Plus unless you bought it used, for less than $100 additional I would even be willing to bet you could have been running an efi setup..

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Yea I get the same thing with my Hypertec for half the price.
I have a high of 24 mpg on freeway, I doubt the hypertech is getting what I see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lly with lbz mouth peice and banks lbz 4" intake.

I just installed a LBZ mouth peice and banks LBZ intake. And took it to the dealer to have the MAF sensor flashed. And all I can say is WOW! !!!!!! ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TRUCK. Everything about the truck is better (the throttle responce, sound ,temp) I also did the blocker plate, Pcv reroute and resonator delete. Its like driving a new truck. For all of you that have been thinking about doing this I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you Blinker, I talked to Dustin (good Guy!) a few times and what I'm gonna do is send him my ECU to tune and get 5 tunes of my choice, you will like the price and the only bummer is the down time he has the ecu but he assures it will be a quick turn around!.
CB

ok thanks alot. i will be calling him soon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im doing my LBZ MP and S$B INtake this weekend, I don't understand having the MAF sensor flashed, did they charge you and how much difference did it make from the installed parts alone?,
sorry im new to this,
CB

I just installed a LBZ mouth peice and banks LBZ intake. And took it to the dealer to have the MAF sensor flashed. And all I can say is WOW! !!!!!! ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TRUCK. Everything about the truck is better (the throttle responce, sound ,temp) I also did the blocker plate, Pcv reroute and resonator delete. Its like driving a new truck. For all of you that have been thinking about doing this I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only reason I had to do a maf reset is because I installed a intake system for a LBZ. LBZ intakes are 1" bigger than a LLY. The maf sensor will foul and put the truck in limp mode if you don't install the templates for the LBZ. The only way to do it is EFI live or tech2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay that's what im doing to, so do I need to limp it to the dealer for a flash?, I have a 04.5 and thanks for the info BTW,
CB

The only reason I had to do a maf reset is because I installed a intake system for a LBZ. LBZ intakes are 1" bigger than a LLY. The maf sensor will foul and put the truck in limp mode if you don't install the templates for the LBZ. The only way to do it is EFI live or tech2.

·
Registered
261 Posts
probably not surfchuck, I just did the lbz mp and s&b without flashing the maf and have had no problems at all, just hellacious performance, economy, and much lower egt

·
Registered
40 Posts
okay cool thanks!

probably not surfchuck, I just did the lbz mp and s&b without flashing the maf and have had no problems at all, just hellacious performance, economy, and much lower egt

1 - 20 of 64 Posts