Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first duramax (LLY) a few months ago and I am going to be changing the oil and fuel filter for the first time. What oil would you guys recommend. Also, I live in Wisconsin and with winter coming around would it be smart for me to use a 5w-40 instead for cold starts? (not always able to have it plugged in over night) And what oil filter and fuel filter would you recommend.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Lots & lots of post/threads on this matter. Search in this thread section.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I use Wix filters (fuel and oil). Love the new fuel filter design because it makes it a lot easier to change. even though it was not hard to begin with. finding a fuel filter band wrench to fit it was the tricky part. Being a farmer I always used john deere oil because we have it in bulk. But I read some good reviews on the Mobile delvac 1300 getting rid of the typewriter tick and it does. So that is all I use now, doesn't matter what time of year.

·
Vendor
10,974 Posts
As HD Dmax Machine pointed out there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on this very subject. Remember as you are reading that everyone has an opinion on "what's best" and conveys it here. Synthetics typically are better than dynos depending on the group level of the base stock used to make them. I would stay away from synthetic blends as these still have dyno oil in them.

My personal preference for several yrs now has been full synthetic AMSOIL fluids and their EaO oil filter for all my trucks. If I can answer any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

take care,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were to use a synthetic would you recommend a 15w-40 or a 5w-40. Also I plan on changing the oil and filter every 5k. Would it be worth using a more expensive oil or staying with something less expensive conventional like delvac 1300.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Full synthetic is always a good choice. I use GM oil and fuel filters. As for oil, I've been using 0-40 oil for many years in all my diesels. I run it year round.
Nothing like 0 grade oil for those cold starts.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
If I were to use a synthetic would you recommend a 15w-40 or a 5w-40. Also I plan on changing the oil and filter every 5k. Would it be worth using a more expensive oil or staying with something less expensive conventional like delvac 1300.
Synthetic 5w40 will be fine. You should go at least 10K on the interval though.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
If you plan on 5K mile oil changes, stick with conventional 15w-40 oil.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Best synthetics in terms of their additive mix (based on independent lab testing) are Rotella T, Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic, and Red Line Diesel Synthetic. The best value and as good as the others is the Shell Rotella T synthetic at half the cost of the Red Line.

There is little to no difference in the performance of SAE base stocks. It is the additives mix that is important and price per gallon is no reflection on the quality or performance of the motor oil. Amsoil Premium Synthetic for example at $28 a gallon is rated in the bottom 25% of ALL diesel motor oils, dino and synthetic. Wal-Mart Super Tech Universal is 1/4 the cost of the Amsoil and yet it rates higher in lab testing.

Instead of lies, damn lies, and statistics, one needs to add "marketing hype". Lots of ads for the synthetics and glowing reports by people selling synthetics but this has little to do with reality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Elkhornsun, do you have a link to these independent lab tests?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Off topic a bit and still maintenance, don't forget the two most overlooked fluids our lives depend on, brake fluid and the power steering fluid...

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Best synthetics in terms of their additive mix (based on independent lab testing) are Rotella T, Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic, and Red Line Diesel Synthetic. The best value and as good as the others is the Shell Rotella T synthetic at half the cost of the Red Line.

There is little to no difference in the performance of SAE base stocks. It is the additives mix that is important and price per gallon is no reflection on the quality or performance of the motor oil. Amsoil Premium Synthetic for example at $28 a gallon is rated in the bottom 25% of ALL diesel motor oils, dino and synthetic. Wal-Mart Super Tech Universal is 1/4 the cost of the Amsoil and yet it rates higher in lab testing.

Instead of lies, damn lies, and statistics, one needs to add "marketing hype". Lots of ads for the synthetics and glowing reports by people selling synthetics but this has little to do with reality.
Don't know WHAT "testing" you're reading, but I have documented proof that AMSOIL Diesel Oils outperform ALL OTHERS. You'd better do a lot more research!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome response Synthetics Dealer. I fully agree.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Don't know WHAT "testing" you're reading, but I have documented proof that AMSOIL Diesel Oils outperform ALL OTHERS. You'd better do a lot more research!!
The increased performance is not justified by the higher price. Run the numbers and one can get the same performance from other oils for the same cost or less.

·
Banned
26 Posts
The increased performance is not justified by the higher price. Run the numbers and one can get the same performance from other oils for the same cost or less.
Run THESE numbers: >15,000 miles or 1 year between oil/filter changes.
> 6.54% improved fuel economy.*
> Up to 90% wear reduction.* *(Diesel Fleet Fuel Economy Study)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts