Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the LBZ mouth piece with the factory LLY intake on my truck. Thinking about getting an aftermarket set up and was wondering if I should get a LLY kit or will a LBZ kit drop in? I looked into factory LBZ intakes but I don't want to deal with the MAF sensor stuff. Thanks

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Get the LBZ intake and be done with it. The MAF will cause some issues but just talk to your tuner and get them to update the tunes. At least mine did anyway. I was throwing MAF codes and it was acting like the vanes were sticking. Tuning fixed it.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
I used the Banks LLY intake with my LBZ MP, worked just fine.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Im not saying an LLY intake wont work with it by the way. the LBZ intake was just nice because everything fir perfect and i didnt have the freaking plumbing parts holding my intake together like the modified stock one. (im a bit anal with my truck lol)

Edit: I will also add that i have no experience with an aftermarket LLY intake as i just bought the LBZ instead. :thumb

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Im not saying an LLY intake wont work with it by the way. the LBZ intake was just nice because everything fir perfect and i didnt have the freaking plumbing parts holding my intake together like the modified stock one. (im a bit anal with my truck lol)

Edit: I will also add that i have no experience with an aftermarket LLY intake as i just bought the LBZ instead. :thumb
some intakes you will need to modify, the banks lly intake fits just inside the MP and the boot supplied with the kit works, no modification needed.

With that said, the LBZ stock box and or Some LBZ after Market will work, but more often than not will need a re-cal. I was simply providing you an option with out the need for re-cal. Many ways you can go, and not all options will look like a piece held together with plumbing parts :rofl

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
just incase you wanted a visual, the banks LLY intake with the LBZ MP
This is the banks LLY intake with a different 3" boot, to match the other boot in the kit because I didnt like the banks written in white on the supplied boot. Either work, no mods. Its just a very clean set up, looks like it belongs together,

with the banks boot in the kit

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Hmm. Did not know that about the Banks. Just helped a friend finish up a head gasket job on an LLY and the guy also wanted an LBZ MP put on it. It has the exact same Banks intake and the guy called them and they sent us the adapter parts. Thought something looked funny about the kit they sent and come to find out there was no place for the MAF :cookoo[1]: Apparently they sent the wrong parts or something as it was just a rubber elbow and a black metal tube. Thats the reason i was thinking it wouldn't work well. Thanks for the visual!

·
Administrator
30,061 Posts
I run an LBZ intake on my LLY, quick easy tuning adjustment for MAF and it's a great intake.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Hmm. Did not know that about the Banks. Just helped a friend finish up a head gasket job on an LLY and the guy also wanted an LBZ MP put on it. It has the exact same Banks intake and the guy called them and they sent us the adapter parts. Thought something looked funny about the kit they sent and come to find out there was no place for the MAF :cookoo[1]: Apparently they sent the wrong parts or something as it was just a rubber elbow and a black metal tube. Thats the reason i was thinking it wouldn't work well. Thanks for the visual!
all good friend. just thought OP needed a visual. Your absolutely right about the LBZ Full stock intake and or some of the LBZ Aftermarket intakes, but almost all will require re-cal and Would be totally worth it. However, the banks LLY Kit works with no modification, no re-cal, same benefit, well constructed piece and looks like they belong together. Alot of the other LLY kits, we have found still need to be modified and then you will get that plumber piece together look from home depot :thumb or have to cut and mod a brand new piece you just sunk a lot of money into and hope you don't mess up !

Reactions: tclouse1

·
Registered
10,680 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad I came across this thread, been wanting to order a intake for my truck but wasn't sure which one to order.

Reactions: Burton05

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. What does it take to re scale the MAF? My friend has EFILive and he loaded my tune after I got my truck. Is it like VCDS (VW) where you can go in and change parameter or something of the like?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.