Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 05 lly just blew the head gaskets. not sure to put a new motor or get a uaed one or just rebuild it? Ive owned the truck for a year its been great till now. What are the common probles with a LLY motor?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
welcome to the forum.

If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do the headgasket repair yourself. Just beef up the components this time.The most common problems with LLY's are the headgaskets believe it or not. There is also occasionally an overheating issue if you tow heavy, but i wouldn't so much worry about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wouldnt be able to do it myself. i i use the truck for a daily diver rarely tow with it. does anybody else besides apr make head studs? i was told they are back orderd for over a year.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
There are no problems with the LLY, only opportunities to fix those little imperfections, like head gaskets and turbo inlets, etc......

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
they are EXTREMELY restrictive from the factory. Very poor design. Most guys upgrade to either an LBZ mouth piece or an AFE one. Didn't mention it earlier because I assumed your truck wasn't stock...

if you could fill out your signature with your truck information we can help you better :thumb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no its not stock it has a exhaust air intake and a tuner. herd about the inlets but wasnt exactly sure. i think im going to rebild the motor and im looking for the things i can fix so while its out.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You don't have to rebuild the motor just because the head gaskets are bad. Unless there is other damage.

Check with Merchant Auto- [supporting vendor] -- he has gasket kits and some with bolts, or studs. You cannot re-use the stock bolts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I did my head gaskets about a month ago and used the kit from merchant automotive. It came with ARP studs, grade c head gaskets, and all the other gaskets you need. Its not a very hard job, just alot of work. I did the job in my driveway. I agree with jc1843, definitely no reason to rebuild the whole motor unless theres other damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just wanted to figure all the little problems out so i can fix them while the motors out and i dont have do deal with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess rebild wasnt the right word. just fix all the little defauts and problems the motor has

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long did it take you to do the head gaskets/studs and how mechanically inclined are you?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
How long did it take you to do the head gaskets/studs and how mechanically inclined are you?
I did mine in three nights after work. worked on it about 3/4 hours a night. start to finish. my dad is a ford mechanic so that helped a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LBZ mouth piece or an AFE one. I have a 2005 Kodiak and all the parts I have tried to either order or put onto my LLY don't match or fit. Does anyone have any info on the difference between the engine in the kodiak compared to an engine in a HD2500?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^ The kodiak mouth piece was a much better flowing design from what i've seen, i don't think there is any reason for you to need to change yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts