Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to begin tearing down my LLY for bad headgaskets. The motor has 225,000 miles on it and I am thinking for the extra cost I want to freshen things up. I plan to pull the motor to complete the work. I will to keep everything stock as I will be using this truck for towing, I want to do the pro fab manifolds, egr delete, downpipe and then EFI live.

Should I leave the bottom end alone and just do the headgaskets if all looks good?

Not sure if it burns oil.

I think I am about 1k for the headgasket kit and about 2300 for a complete overhaul kit. These prices both include ARP studs.

Any help or suggestions (including parts) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just went through this with my HGs, this is what I wanted to have done while it was being done

EGR delete w up pipe
Drivers side manifold
Down pipe
Studs
EFI live

This is what also was done, while they were at it

1 injector
Belt
Idlers and tensioner pulleys
Glow plugs
FPRV race plug
Thermostats
Replace pyro gauge
Upper radiator hose
Lower valve cover gaskets

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on your truck when you did HG's?

I appreciate the info, I think glow plugs, thermostats, water pump, and injector lines are highly recommended when doing HG.

·
Registered
750 Posts
185k miles, probably should have had water pump done also but they didn't seem to think it was necessary. I had a fuel system place do mine, cleaned and tested injectors,didn't break any lines just 2 hold down bolts, And the injectors were all good but one. They said IF the plugs all came out in one piece, they certainly weren't going back in!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on!!

Did the shop ever mention digging into the bottom end?

Can anyone provide info on the longevity of the LLY bottom end? This truck was previously a work truck and has towed lots along with plenty of idle time.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Never mentioned anything about the bottom. I had about 2400 in what I wanted to do, then.... Rather not think about it anymore.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone else chime in?

Should I leave the bottom end alone and just do HG's? Truck has 225,000miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.