Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im on my way to Panama City, FL from Maryland and my coolant temp gauge started fluctuating from 160-210. I'm hoping its a t-stat problem, but not exactly sure. If it is, how do I check which one it is? There is two correct?

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Yes their is 2,My truck was running around 160 -190 ,i just put two oem and it sits around 210 all the time,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm driving right now at around 70-80 mph in Florida 72 degrees F. My temp will sometimes stay around 165-170 then jump to 185-190. When it goes down to 165 it looses a lot of power. Should I just buy two new t-stats? Are they both in the same place?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I dont know about mthe losing power part but for your temp thats what mine was doing ,so yes i would replace them first ,,yes they are right their together

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine also is throwing a code for thermostat not regulating at correct temperature and I have not got around too replacing both yet BUT I did also knowtice a huge power loss ! Any explanation anyone ? Thanks andrew

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine won't heat up about140-150 unless I am pullin my trailer but it feels like I lost power doesn't pull the trailer that easy

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
it might be the motor best performance and power are at operating temp which is around 210

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might be the motor ? Maybe because the motor isn't heating up all the way ?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah I'm driving right now at around 70-80 mph in Florida 72 degrees F. My temp will sometimes stay around 165-170 then jump to 185-190. When it goes down to 165 it looses a lot of power. Should I just buy two new t-stats? Are they both in the same place?

where are you at in fl? and a loss in power sounds strange, but fluctuation can be anything from:

Air in the system
Faulty overflow tank/cap
Thermostats
Water pump
Head gaskets

although typically you wont see what you are seeing happen if the water pump is bad.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Also, is your fan clutch always engaged?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys, back when I started this thread I just went out and bought two new thermostats which did fixed it. It looked like one of them was sticking open. Anyways it was fixed until today. now it has come back, but not completely. before it would drop all the way down to 160, but now its only fluctuating between 180 and 210. But if it goes below the 185 mark it sounds weird. I guess I am going to have to look at the thermostats again, but what could be causing them to stick open? And what can i do to prevent it?

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
It's possible that one, or both, of the new thermostats are bad. Unlikely, but possible.
And, you may want to see if the incoming air flow is restricted. Maybe pull the radiator and intercooler to remove any dirt & debris. I'm overdue for mine.
Just to eliminate them as suspects.

It may be a waterpump or headgasket thing. Luckily, at this point, I don't know much about that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know how the thermostats work? Like if it's sticking open can I fix it or do I need to go buy another one? I would bring it back, but I bought it when I was on a road trip and I was in Jacksonville fl at the time, I live in maryland.

·
Administrator
16,858 Posts
Do you know how the thermostats work? Like if it's sticking open can I fix it or do I need to go buy another one? I would bring it back, but I bought it when I was on a road trip and I was in Jacksonville fl at the time, I live in maryland.

Buy a new one, they are a maintenance item and cheap.

FYI... The dash gauge does not reflect an accurate temperature, you can read a better gauge with a scanner, Edge Insight, etc... through the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
^^^ exactly what TDF said.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed the coolant temperature sensor and that seemed to fix it so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts