Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LLY to LBZ How big a difference?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  45Colt45 
#1 ·
I currently own, and am very happy with, my 2005 "LS" extended cab, 2WD long bed truck. I pull a 34 ft fifth wheel with it and have no complaints.

I've come across what seems to be a pretty good deal on a 2007 crewcab LT model 4X4. The mileage on my 05 and this 07 are almost the same, in the mid70's.

Is the 07 with the LBZ engine and 6-speed tranny that much better of a truck?

How much of a difference will the towing experience be with a crewcab 4X4 with a standard bed compared with my 05 extended cab, 2WD, longbed truck??

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Should be the same. It is roughly the same length wheel base. I just has slightly more weight in the center. You will like the extra power and the double overdrive for daily driving.

#3 ·
go for it 5 speeds suck stock imo 6 speeds where its at they can hold way more power

#6 ·
The lbz has more power as well. Driving my dads 05 Lly then getting in my 06 lbz there's a very noticeable difference. The 6spd is a stronger tranny as well. Go for it

#7 ·
If the price is right I'd say go for it.... much better resale value imo with the 4X4 and all the extra goodies the LT come with.. not to mention what has already been stated above

#8 ·
I'm moving from an '05 LLY Reg Cab Long Bed to an '06 Crew Cab Short Bed LBZ, and the difference is HUGE. The '06 is a much more refined drivetrain, driveability is greatly improved. The 6-speed is excellent on the highway, lowers in-cab noise down A LOT.

Do it, you won't regret it.

#9 ·
Power wise here is a good result.
I had an 06lly cclb (lbz motor, 6spd ally, but same power as an lly) I raced my dads lmm cclb dually which is like 5 hp more than the lbz, the lmm pulled on my lly after about 50 and by 85 had about a whole truck length on me. We did this several times with the same result. Both were 100% stock all the way to the tires.

That being said, the 6th gear is damn nice especially if you do alot of highway driving and towing. You probably won't notice the power, but if you were to line them up it is noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.