Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump started leaking today trying to get home from a hunting trip towing my 5th wheel. I have about 200 miles to home to Denver from Steamboat Springs and I'm wondering if my pump will hold out for the trip or if I should get it fixed before I leave Steamboat?

I don't know if the leak has been gradual or if it just happened. The coolant tank still has fluid in it, I just got a low fluid message driving down the pass. I had my truck and camper towed back to Steamboat and here I sit. Supposed to bring the truck to a mechanic tommorow.

I guess my question is should I just buy a bunch of fluid and fill the tank up if I get the low fluid message or just ha e them fix it here and spend a couple of more days?

The leak looks like it is coming from the water pump housing on the driver side just above the hose connection.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
When was the last time you checked the coolant fluid level prior to getting the warning?

Do you see coolant on the ground beneath the water pump?

If the answers aer "not sure" and"no" then you will most likely be find filling it and driving it home (keep a couple of pre mixed Dex-Cool) and check it every so often. It usually starts out as a very slow leak that never makes it to the ground.

Changing the WP is a relatively involved undertaking. Not difficult just a lot to remove to get at it, including the Harmonic Balancer on the crank shaft to get access to the lower bolt on the pump.

Since you will be in there anyway the following would be good to change while you aer in there anyway:

Serpentine Belt
Upper and Lower coolant hoses
Both Thermostats
Serpentine Belt tensioner
Both Idler Pulleys
Fan Clutch
O Ring on the back of the cross tube feeding the back of the Thermostat Cover.
And of course, fresh coolant (Dex Cool only) (buy the full strength and mix 50/50 with distilled water is the least expensive)

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Last fall I did a 2 month trip my 5th wheel from Oregon to Colorado and back. When I got back home, I was backing the trailer on to the pad, a little uphill slant, and noticed a puddle of coolant. Pump was leaking and coolant had collected in the skid plate and poured out on the driveway slope, otherwise I may not have noticed it right away. Coolant bottle was only slightly below the full line so pump must have just started to leak. Replaced the pump and all's good now. The Million Dollar Highway is rough on cooling systems! I always carry a gallon of Dex/distilled water, never mix Dex with other coolants.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being the pump and I got it replaced today. Unfortunately they only had NAPA water pump, no Delco pumps in the area and I can't stay another night. Hopefully the NAPA pump will last.

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts