Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from Washington to Oregon yesterday, truck has half tank of fuel. Fired up then died, tried to prime and will not. Need to get home tomorrow. Help!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Is it throwing out any codes by chance?

Start by inspecting the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket. The harness is just zip tied down, so all you have to do is cut the zip tie and look carefully at the under side. Then just cut up a heater hose or similar and insulate it for later down the road if it's good.

Also a good thing to look into with the LLY engines is the ice pick fix, where an issue will turn up with our #2 and #7 injector harness. the DIY fix is found here:
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

The factory fuel filter head is also known to sometimes have it's orings/seals go out and not hold prime as well, but i would check the previous information posted first.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Keep priming. My guess would be you need new o rings in the fuel filter head.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Pump the primer-- does it pull any fuel-- when you open the bleeder-? Remove the hose from the filter head--[one going to the tank] hold you finger over the tube-- now pump the primer-- should feel the suction. if not-- the primer seals are bad.

You can try this--if no suction, remove the 3 screws on the primer cap. Smear some heavy grease on the seals and o-ring. put it back together, that will help it seal to get you going. BE CAREFUL REMOVING THE SCREWS AND CAP-- THERE IS A SPRING AND IT WILL ROCKET EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes, understand what your saying but seems to be a fuel problem. How can electrical stop it from priming?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The primer is all mechanical-- nothing electrical on it, except the heater and the WIF sensor-- and these will not prevent it from running.

There is no fuel pump in the lines or fuel tank-- the injector pump pulls fuel from the tank-- through the filter and into the injector pump. So any air leak in the primer/filter housing-- and it will suck air, not fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm a friend of Scott at SDP and he explained all that to me. Is the grease to the O-ring trick worth it or talk to a dealer for a new filter head unit?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The dealer sells the new head-- $$$$$. The dealer does not provide service parts for the filter head.

Several vendors here, have the kit to rebuild them, or The Duramax Store has new head for abt $100. Supporting vendor on this Forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem is I need to get home tomorrow w/ wife and two kids, so me and wife can go to work Tuesday morning. I would love to support site vendors, but need to be on the road tomorrow. I can turn a wrench and have lots of experience of making things work. Just need to know how.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you go and get O-rings from a parts store and rebuild head unit that way?

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Where in OR are you right now, and do you have access to tools/place to work on it? I am near Salem, let me know if i can be of assistance. "O" rings should all be standard sizes, I believe the repair kits use Viton "O" rings, but probably neoprene or whatever you can find will get you home. I've never taken the fuel filter apart but there can't be much to it, probably need to remove inner fender liner, unbolt it and R&R "O" rings.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The seals are lip seals--[very difficult to find] not o-ring--there is one o-ring where the primer cup mates the housing -where the three screws are.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Also, don't overlook some simple things, like filter "O" ring leaking, filter plugged, collapsed fuel line or loose WIF sensor.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
My problem is I need to get home tomorrow w/ wife and two kids, so me and wife can go to work Tuesday morning. I would love to support site vendors, but need to be on the road tomorrow. I can turn a wrench and have lots of experience of making things work. Just need to know how.
Did you do any of the test I wrote-- above -?? :D

Make sure the filter is tight and not leaking fuel, when you pump the primer.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
The seals are lip seals--[very difficult to find] not o-ring--there is one o-ring where the primer cup mates the housing -where the three screws are.
You are right, I looked it up an there are two lip seals and four "O" rings. Of course, GM probably wouldn't think of using standard lip seals, would they?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing leaking and everything looks good, pulled fuel filter that has 3000 miles on it, pulled three screws and looked at pump seals. That could be the problem, truck has 166,000 miles and yes I have tools, but truck is street side in Tualatin.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
you're going to hate me but i had a problem very similar to yours and it was a collapsed fuel line......gm diagnosed it by cutting my fuel filter open and examining it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WTF, collapsed fuel line that they found out by cutting your fuel filter open?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yep, the fuel lines have a rubber lining inside them, mine collapsed and clogged my fuel lines shut, they ended up cuttin a fuel line section out and replacing it with rubber hose....they diagnosed it by taking my filter off and cutting it open, at least thats what the technician told me

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just pulled fuel line from filter housing and did have some suction? Just not enough?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts