Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm pretty new to the forum and this is my first thread. I have a 2011 2500HD and I need to throw a commercial 2 way into it. I've looked around and at previous threads but I haven't come up with much as far as where to mount the radio in the cab. The only thing set in stone so far for this project is that the antennae will be fender mounted. I would prefer to mount the 2 Way with as little permanent damage to the interior of the truck. Any advice or pictures would be great! Also any general tips or tricks as far as wiring up one of these would be appreciated as well!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have the full center console or do you have the fold up console with the center seat? As far as wiring, do you have the factory trailer brake control? The 2011 may be different but I have a 2009 and I do not have the full center console and I have mounted my CB directly above the drive shaft tunnel, unfortunately it will leave a few screw holes but if you have the black interior they are not as noticeable. I also have the factory trailer brake control installed, the factory does not use the aftermarket install pig tail under the dash for the factory installed one. In that pig tail is a power wire that can be hooked directly to the power box or to the battery depending how much power you need, it is about a 12ga wire and is already ran through the firewall for you, just find a suitable ground as the ground in the pig tail is pretty small, run your antenna and mount it up and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a full center console. I was thinking about taking some metal plate and bending it in a C to hang over the edge of the storage/drink holder and then mount the radio on that, that way there are no permanent holes. I have a factory trailer brake so when my truck gets back from the shop (new coolant hose/waterpump) I'll investigate to see if that pigtail exists. That'd be nice if I could just borrow the power off of that! Thanks a lot for the advice, I never would've known about that pigtail otherwise!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The wiring harness will be tucked up under the dash, there are 5 different wires and they are usually pretty visible, out of the 5 you will want the red with the black stripe. In most cases the wire is not hooked up, if you open your hood and pop off the cover on your fuse box you will see two different sized studs where 2-3 different wires will hook up, why they are not hooked up from the factory I don't know but that is for a different discussion. The wire you will want is taped to a wiring harness between the fuse box and the fender, it has a terminal that is matched to one of the studs which is then tied to a fuse of its own. Now there are possibly 1-2 others one of which may already be hooked up, if already hooked up it is the wiring that feeds you charge line on you 7 way plug, the wire for this if not hooked up and if you want to hook it up is below the master cylinder on a wiring harness that heads towards the back on the frame. The second if setup or an option on you truck is another 7 way harness that is mid frame and is usually used for campers or other things but like I said this is an option and you may not have it. The link I put up is how to install a brake control but it will help you find things. I may have made it a little confusing cause I started to ramble, but if you have any other questions let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsr0ZBQoF8

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! thank you for all of the information definitely will make the install go significantly smoother, do you have any tips for how to wire the coax cable? Kind of a hefty wire to throw through any of the firewall boots.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have ends crimped on yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I don't have the radio, antennae or the coax yet. Still waiting on some funds, I just got charged for a new TCM and coolant hose/pump, unexpected setback. I probably won't install for a couple weeks here, just wanting to figure everything out beforehand for a quick and painless installation once I get it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well there are several different places to run coax. Through the firewall boots is and option, they are little hard to deal with cause you have to stuff yourself under your dash, but you can just poke a hole in them with a sharp screw driver and push the wire through. You could also run them through the door frame and through the crack under the fender and hood and then route the wires through the removable panel where you access the body fuses if this is still an option on the 11, only disadvantage is you can see the wires when you open the door, but if you don't care then its pretty easy. Third if you remove your plastic kick panel in the and pull your carpet back part way you should find rubber plugs in the floor that you could do the same poke holes in and run the cable through and up to your radio. Finally an option more suited to easily running cables in from the back, if you open your door you will notice there are smaller rubber plugs in the body below the kick panel those can be removed and the wires passed through down to the frame area, the cables inside can be tucked under the kick panel, the only problem is once again they sit in the door frame area and get pinched by the door. I have my CB antenna cables ran this way and have yet to have any problems with them.

One of these times I get my truck cleaned up I need to take pictures of it, I have a lot of crap running in my truck and to be honest it does kinda look like a cop car. 2 police scanners on the dash, CB below the dash, tablet on a seat bolt mount which I use for gauges, ipod mount next to the radio, switches for lights on the left of the steering wheel and wireless control for my air bag compressor. 50" light bar on the roof, and several LEDs on the back and tool box illuminating my hitch in bed and behind me on the ground. Yea I have a thing for wiring and electronics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of these times I get my truck cleaned up I need to take pictures of it, I have a lot of crap running in my truck and to be honest it does kinda look like a cop car. 2 police scanners on the dash, CB below the dash, tablet on a seat bolt mount which I use for gauges, ipod mount next to the radio, switches for lights on the left of the steering wheel and wireless control for my air bag compressor. 50" light bar on the roof, and several LEDs on the back and tool box illuminating my hitch in bed and behind me on the ground. Yea I have a thing for wiring and electronics.
If you ever get some time I'd really like to see what you've got going on, I could definitely use some ideas as far as mounting and wiring goes, I'm about to re do a lot of my old work and clean it up along with add a constant duty solenoid to run most of my stuff off of. One of the guys on my department does all of the county work for the police/fire/ems rigs and has been helping me out with some wiring ideas but I would still like to see how you've got everything set up in the cab and if you've got any images of the ways you mentioned to get some wires into the cab I'd like to check that out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here are some pictures of what I've got going on. I have made several changes since taking these photos, the first and major one I've done away with my tablet and gauges for an Edge Insight CTS. Also I have changed a couple of my antennas around.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a nice setup there! I'm regretting not having a bench seat up front, but I think I've figured out how to mount a two way up without being too invasive. did you screw that radio into the dash?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is just a remote head for a scanner I have in the glove box, so it is pretty light, I used 3M 15lb adhesive tape to stick it down and it is solid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you already have the radio you plan on mounting. If not I would look for a radio that has a remote mount head. If you look at the picture with my radio console the very top radio that is at angle is a remote mount, the radio itself is below the head. When I first mounted it in that console I mounted it straight but I couldn't see the display so I went with that setup. The nice thing about remote heads is they take up very little space and you can stick the radio where ever you want and with most the mic plugs into the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great call there! I didn't even know that was an option but I just checked those out and they are perfect. I was going to buy another cup holder insert for my center console and weld up a mount that I can just place in the cup holder and a head would be perfect for that! The big thing is cost, the commercial 2way radio I was looking at was already around $400 dollars for a simple 16 channel model, I'll have to see how much I can get one with a remote head for, especially since I was already looking at forking over a little more for a 32 channel model. It's a shame there aren't more used radios around, the recent narrow banding flooded the used market with the non narrow banded models but I can't run one of those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depending on the rules you have to follow, the radio I use is a TYT9800 I think I paid $250 for it and it is a quad band with well over 32 channels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I know is that I have to have a licensed commercial 2-way, I'm not very familiar with the models, so aside from it being a narrow band radio I couldn't tell you much more about exactly what I need

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm a volunteer firefighter and a SAR member, one of the guys on my department does a lot of the comms for the region and he's the one I've been going to to try and figure out what the most economical option is. I'll ask him about that radio you just put a link to and see if it could be programmed for what I need. He almost entirely deals with motorola gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see, Motorola there's the $$$. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a volunteer firefighter and a SAR member, one of the guys on my department does a lot of the comms for the region and he's the one I've been going to to try and figure out what the most economical option is. I'll ask him about that radio you just put a link to and see if it could be programmed for what I need. He almost entirely deals with motorola gear.
As far as your console, I would see if the 2018-2013 Tahoe drop-in consoles will work on your truck. They make units that replace the cup holders and allow you to mount radios (and new cupholders)

From what I have gathered on Radioreference, you will need a narrowband capable analog VHF radio (136-174MHz). If your county has plans of migrating to the Montana statewide interoperability radio network, then you will need a P25 digital VHF radio with trunking capability. Look for something like an XTS/XTL 2500 or 5000, Kenwood TK5220/5720, or something similar.

P.S. if you need a digital capable portable I have one for sale if you would be interested. Mine is trunking capable as well. :drink

1 - 20 of 20 Posts