Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which Towing Setup

• 5th Wheel Hitch with above bed rails

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Gooseneck Hidden Ball with 5th Wheel hitch

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Gooseneck to Gooseneck with Aluminum adapter for 5th Wheel pin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goose Box with air bag (replaces 5th wheel pin on the trailer)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to step up to a 5th wheel toyhauler. Thinking 32'-38'. I have a 2014 Sierra 2500 SRW with 4" lift and 35s.

Which setup would you recommend for the smoothest ride?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
First things first, Have you found a 5er that will fit with a 4" lift?

Second thing DONT go with your 4th option. If you are lifted it will take some effort to level out the 5er. For that reason alone I suggest the Anderson as it will offer slightly more adjustability.

But again, what trailers are you looking at that will fit a lifted truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First things first, Have you found a 5er that will fit with a 4" lift?

Second donor go with your 4th option. If you are lifted it will take some effort to level out the 5er. For that reason alone I suggest the Anderson as it will offer slightly more adjustability.

But again, what trailers are you looking at that will fit a lofted truck?

The RV shop said they would be able to set it up for my truck. Have several friends that run a 6"+ lift with 37s and pull a 5er

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
The RV shop said they would be able to set it up for my truck. Have several friends that run a 6"+ lift with 37s and pull a 5er

Ok that was where I figured that would go.

I would say NO to the forth option.

The Anderson is a darn good hitch but then again if you are lifting the rig then I would go with a traditional hitch. You will want that plate to absorb as much lateral layers movement.

I would go with a B&W

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep it's a standard bed.

So you are saying to not do the Goose Box that replaces the 5th wheel pin on the trailer?

I had the companion style on there, just had it as gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter. Had forgot what it was called.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Yep it's a standard bed.

So you are saying to not do the Goose Box that replaces the 5th wheel pin on the trailer?

I had the companion style on there, just had it as gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter. Had forgot what it was called.

Correct. When your lifting the 5er the wind sail just gets even taller. And with the lengths you're looking at I wouldn't take any chances on the added articulation you will get from a 5er on a ball platform.

I just drove though some 75mph gusts and my companion saved my ass. That plate allows for an even distribution from the pin to the frame.

I would go for the B&W Companion slider. It's a heavy SOB but it's solid. Again the Anderson is a great hitch and it's well made with a lot of love behind it. However you're looking at changing variables which will require additional attention.

There is a reason why you see the semis with a plate. Transfer and balance more of the trailer onto the Axel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct. When your lifting the 5er the wind sail just gets even taller. And with the lengths you're looking at I wouldn't take any chances on the added articulation you will get from a 5er on a ball platform.

I just drove though some 75mph gusts and my companion saved my ass. That plate allows for an even distribution from the pin to the frame.

I would go for the B&W Companion slider. It's a heavy SOB but it's solid. Again the Anderson is a great hitch and it's well made with a lot of love behind it. However you're looking at changing variables which will require additional attention.

There is a reason why you see the semis with a plate. Transfer and balance more of the trailer onto the Axel.
Makes complete sense to me! I did like the fact that you didn't have to have a 5th wheel hitch laying around when its not in use but mostly because it already had an airbag in the Goose box. But it would be smarter to have the plate for support.

Are you running airbags on your truck?

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
They range from 2200-3200 pin weight depending on which toyhauler I go with. I really like the Eclipse Stellar and Attitude toyhaulers the most.

So you'll want to evaluate that as well. Your max Payload is in the neighborhood of 25-2700#. You'll be able to tow whatever you want but you'll be over your PL which can cause issue with insurance companies if you're ever in a wreck.

If you're comfortable with that you'll want to put some airbags on the truck for added support. I would stay out of the 3000 range for pin weight. That's 3500 range and at that weight you're in Dually county.

My pin sits about 2000# on a 34' trailer and that's about where she should be.

Have you thought about a shorter 5er and tandem towing your toys? There are other options for you. Or you can for go the 5er and go with a triple axel TT toy hauler which would put you well within your safe zones.

Again this is just from my experience towing and hauling. Everything from 100k in explosives in Iraq to 8 horses in a 36' to a triple axel car hailed 38' to my current 5er. At the end of the day I would not suggest that much trailer for your 2500. Simply my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It all depends on the weight of the trailer regardless of length. God forbid should the brake controller for the trailer fail, will you be able to get both vehicles to stop any time soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
It all depends on the weight of the trailer regardless of length. God forbid should the brake controller for the trailer fail, will you be able to get both vehicles to stop any time soon?

I have a 39 foot Keystone Impact 361 toyhauler. I tow with a K3500 crew cab long bed with dual rear wheels. If my brake controller failed I would have a tough time bring both to a stop especially on a down hill grade!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
With the lift this is the only option to avoid even more of the drag ass look.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
With the lift this is the only option to avoid even more of the drag ass look.

Chevor I remember seeing the video for this. It was pretty funny. Are these even legal in all 50? Idk how well I would trust that but then again I haven't looked into them. Backing would be a 3 point back up or can you lock the pin?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brother got one for his F350. Likes to keep his camper shell on. He got or in Texas and is using it in Cali.
You can lock it straight with braces for baking up etc.
It's interesting.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just looking for something to fit the XP 4 and two quads in it. RZR is just under 13' long. Ive always pulled a bumper pull with a weight distribution hitch and a couple of gooseneck flatbed trailers years ago. Never have pulled a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I've seen those tow dollies and they seem like a good idea. They are typically connected to the truck at 3 points with a custom receiver and give you an extra axle of braking power. Reduces your GCWR though because now you've got an extra trailer of sorts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts