Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what different LML alternator options are available? My truck just came with standard alternator and two batteries. Is there a larger OEM replacement for a single or two different part numbers for double? Not that I really need it now but just curious for future. Maybe someone knows the different part numbers for the alternators, belts, ect. for what it would take to upgrade the system.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Assuming you want OEM:

Standard - KG4 Alternator, 150 amps

Available - KW5 Alternator, 220 amps
- Included with (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Package when ordered with gas or diesel engines.

Available -KHB NEW! Alternators, dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each
- Requires (LML) Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 engine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would the oem 220 amp alternator be a direct swap for the oem 150 amp? I would assume the dual option would require different control wires that would not be in the harness already. Anyone with a dual oem setup have any info on this?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So would the oem 220 amp alternator be a direct swap for the oem 150 amp? I would assume the dual option would require different control wires that would not be in the harness already. Anyone with a dual oem setup have any info on this?
The kits provide everything to make the duals work. The link I have above is just an alternator, but a direct swap for the factory one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just did the DC power kit. It didn't come with a belt. It was a pain in the butt trying to get the right belt size.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Which alternator and how did it hook up to have the computer turn it on? They was an additional or replaced the stock one?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got the 250 amp one that was $399. The plug is on the top vs on the back for mine. I'm only running and upgraded one.
Stock computer works fine. It sits at minimum 14.5 at idle. I have it charging 3 batteries.
It's been on for about a week but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I got the 250 amp one that was $399. The plug is on the top vs on the back for mine. I'm only running and upgraded one.
Stock computer works fine. It sits at minimum 14.5 at idle. I have it charging 3 batteries.
It's been on for about a week but so far so good.
Stock computer works fine because you only have one. I want to know how they wire it for two?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was I Tucson at 4th ave street fair drinking the other day

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Looks nice. I really line the dc power xp version for a second alternator.

·
Registered
486 Posts

hope this shows what you need to do,charge wire just needs to jump to the second alternator.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'll ask again, if you already have the duals, can the 150amp on the left be direct swapped for the 220amp, to have dual 220's?
you can,it fits,may want to up the wiring to the battery,not sure if gm uses a different gauge wire for the 220 amp.I could always measure mine.
I'm gonna put a 220A alt. in the second spot on the right,have all the pieces to do it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts