Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my first post here on Dmax forums and I was wondering if anybody knows where the camshaft position sensor is placed on a lml engine? The truck thru a code at me the other day and I already have a new sensor but don't know were it goes. If some one can lead me in the right direction I can fix it myself. Thanks

11 gmc 2500
2.5 leveling kit
5" exhuast
Banks cold air intake
H&s tuner

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got the same issue right now! THis is the 2nd time I got this problem too in the last month. Idk where exactly it is located though as the dealer has worked on it. The first time this happened to me the truck would crank and drive but keep shutting down at stops. This time around the truck wont even crank. Whats yours acting like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was running hot tune on my hs programmer for two years without lift pump and I guess it finally caught up. Iv had the engine light for 2 months now and it throws out 3 codes. 2 being the camshaft sensor and one being the fuel rail pressure sensor. I was able to talk to the dealer and basically told me I have to tear the entire front end to get to the sensor at the front of the motor. Haven't had time yet with work. My symptoms were the same and they just got worse. Started out with my rpm gauge going crazy but my truck would run fine and smooth. The more I used it the more it did it and finally started stalling out. Figured out that it runs great on the highway but once you come to a stop or slow down quit a bit it will stall out. Every know and then when it's idling it will cough up a little bit. It had to of been my fuel pressure sensor. Have a fass lift pump on the way. Yours do the same? Mild mods?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The cam position sensor is located on the front of the engine a couple of inches above the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
431 Posts
yea I just had a exhaust and tune on it, got a lift pump put on after the first time the sensor went out, now its out again.. trucks still at the dealer too

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would bet on a wiring issue if it keeps coming back. My MAP sensor was doing the same thing put a new one in good for awhile then back in LIMP. I took my tech 2 and started moving the wires around and found that it would be good then not so started looking for the break and it was right inside the connector repaired and no more limp or codes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hope they check everything man, this is the second time for me and im fed up already... hope its no wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so update on my truck, i was able to replace everything, fuel pressure sensor and camshaft sensor on my truck, ran good for two days and then it went back to doing the same. amrock88 how much did the dealer charge you ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
hey DMAX212, apparently the second time around the camshaft sensor was fine, but I remember the first time it wasnt bad, around 300ish installed.. The sensor is only like $50 the labor is apparently to remove the water pump cause its behind it somewhere. The dealer didnt do it for me though the first time, had it done at Paden Diesel in Lubbock

·
Registered
15 Posts
DMAX212 and AMROCK88 whatever ended up happening to yours? This stuff literally just started happening last night. At first it was the gauge freaking out, then at a red light i romped on it next to another Dmax and it completely chocked out. About to drive 1700 miles one way for christmas and im super worried about breakign down. I'm not running a hot tune but am running something other than stock and have a ADII installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just now came across this thread, and I realized that I am having the same problems as Dmax212 with my camshaft position sensor Messing up and having the same problems with my rpm gauge and stalling out. I am running almost the same setup and was wondering what caused this problem and how you fixed it.

2012 GMC Lml
5in suspension
H&S mini max
5in turbo back exhaust
S&B cold air intake

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having the same exact issues after going to the car wash and washing the engine bay tach is freaking out running 2k rpm with the truck off and all kinds of wonky codes Initially I thought it was a vane position sensors. Because of how it was running and it was also throwing a code for it (p2565) I unplugged the battery cables touched them together so as to reset everything and now I get a po336 and it will not start (camshaft position sensor) haaalllllp 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts