Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3500HD, LML, Crew Cab, 4WD, LTZ, DRW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the longish story here, but to get my question it might help to hear this. My 2013 3500LTZ just crossed 60K. It had thrown a few P20EE codes which I cleared over the last 6 months - I could see the NOx sensors on OBD and they looked to be acting correctly. A couple weeks ago it threw the same code, followed about 10 miles later by "Fluid Quality Poor" so I took it to the 2 hours away dealer where I bought it last year. (They had included a third party 'warranty's part of the deal and they're one of the biggest in the area.) On the way I watched the NOx sensors and noticed that Sensor 2 was not quite right. They had it for a few days and decide it just needed a forced regain or three, all components tested good, and the mechanic told me that the system is not a good one and they thought it had run out of DEF. I never received any warnings and had added a couple boxes over a two month period. The mechanic told me not to do that - only add fluid when it says it's near empty and then always fill it up all the way. He said the system gets confused if you don't do that. I also found out that they had replaced NOx sensor 1 just before I bought the truck. Halfway home "Fluid Quality" and check engine both came on at the same time. Codes were P249D and P2Bad this time and Sensor 2 showed bad numbers in OBD Fusion. I took it back the next day, nearly a week ago. So far they replaced Sensor 2 - which of course is not covered by the add-on warranty, and now claim the system is still failing one of three systems tests - so far they haven't told me which one and are working on the reason. Things have slowed way down in the process - at first they were communicating well, now I have to catch them available to get the assigned service advisor on the phone.

My questions: Have you experienced similar and what was the outcome? Could the ECU be bad? The service advisor tells me the diesel tech is in communication with chevrolet, but things are dragging on.... I am planning on using this truck to haul a truck camper on long trips this summer, between 6 and 12k miles at at time. What would you do to calm the jitters about this happening in the middle of Canada or Alaska - or anywhere for that matter?

·
Registered
2013 3500HD, LML, Crew Cab, 4WD, LTZ, DRW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - Just heard from the dealer that Chevy Techline told diesel tech to change the fluid (which he replaced last week) and run the truck on the highway, then run the tests again. He is arguing with them that the sensors are reading correctly. They are saying maybe it's the SCR then? I can feel the $$ whipping by...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts