Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’m new here and have a few questions on deleting my 2013 lml duramax. It is completely stock and I’m unhappy with my mpg’s I average around 13 on a good day and am looking to increase that. I have been looking at delete kits on eBay and have found a plethora of kits mainly utilizing efi live. Here come the questions, do you think eBay is a good place to buy these kits? Should I do a full exhaust or delete pipe? 4in or 5in exhaust? Do I need to install blocker plates on the egr or does the tuner take care of that? Do I have to unplug anything on the egr? I think that’s it, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Search on here. Your questions have been answered. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would not buy tuning off of ebay. I wouldn't hesitate to buy exhaust, blocker plates, up pipe, etc off ebay, but not tuning. Depends on how far you want to take it but simple route is blocker plates and i believe you unplug a couple connections to EGR, then exhaust and tune.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
My advice is real read read. There is a ton of information on this site. It sounds like you already have a grasp of what would need to be done IF you would like to add off road tuning to your farm truck for farm related only duties inside the farm limits. Off public roads and all that. Private message some guy if you need help.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Crunch some numbers to see when the fuel savings will pay for a delete done right. Hope you plan on keeping the truck a long time.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Welcome to Duramax Forum! There are a few grouchy old yahoos on here but they mean well when they say "search the site." However- that is rarely helpful as the site is full and you need specifics. I shall try to direct you to a few discussions regarding the latest on deletes. Essentially- Due to a crack down by the EPA most of the delete tuner people have closed up shop. However- a few have suggested on here that you look to Canada for some possible solutions from tuners up there since they don't have the same EPA enviro nazis that we have here. (no offense to the EPA or tree huggers, I like a clean burning car and truck too, and LOVE the great outdoors, but don't like having laws and regulations shoved down my throat)

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1000729-please-help-lost-how-delete-my-truck-now.html
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/1000385-efi-live-tuning-epa-ban-effect-what-do.html

and also other stuff in the EFI Live forum
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/

Please continue to post and ask questions, we'll try to help if we can. I'm not running a deleted truck FYI. (Emissions testing here in Colorado)

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help! I was afraid to post as I know I was gonna get “all your questions have been answered use the site” which I tried but found the search is practically useless. There is a shop about an hour away from me that will do a full exhaust, delete with 1 tune, and a tip for $1500. I’m kinda leaning towards that because most parts would be within a few Benjamin’s of that. Plus would save me some time and I wouldn’t have to worry about ruining my perfectly good truck. I’m in Minnesota where there hasn’t been emissions testing since the 90’s. I really have nothing against the emissions stuff other than the fact that it burns perfectly good fuel by shoving it in the exhaust leading to no benefit other than emissions. The truck is starting to throw Nox sensor codes and I really hate the idea of being up north and stuck in limp mode. Deleted trucks are fairly common up here and I feel there is almost no chance an individual with a pickup truck would ever get in trouble unless in emissions testing, which we have none.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Its more like this question is asked several times a week X 52 weeks X 12 years that I've been on this forum.
And all the answers are pretty much the same everytime.
It's like having to constantly tell your kid what needs to be done around the house to help out, everyday.

One thing that has always been suggested, don't be a fool and trash the parts you removed.
Times are changing, one day you might end up having to do emissions or sell/trade-in and will have to put it back to stock or risk a very large chunk of $$$ out of your pocket to make it that way.
Even better taking $10 k less for the dealer to do it.

If your only going for MPG increase, you might as well keep it stock or do the minumin, the more you delete doesn't gain you squat, except for bragging rights and a lighter wallet.
Dam, here I go again explaining when I was going to be firm on just do a search and read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have searched, I have read, I've watched countless videos from reputable sources and yet I am still stuck with the questions stated above. I’ve talked to various friends that have deleted and a number of performance shops. My google history is about 15 pages of lml delete related material. I’ve found this site to be fairly useful as it has answered a ton of my questions but I was still left with those. I’m not clueless on the topic nor am I an expert. I was just looking for some clarification and answers to my few remaining questions before I chose to delete or not.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Most of the questions you ask are going to be based off personal preference. I do buy from Ebay but I'd only buy hard part stuff like exhaust, lift pump, blocekr plates, etc. Full exhaust or delete pipe is another personal preference, depends on how much money you want to spend, sound, & looks coming out the rear of the truck. 4 or 5 exhaust size another preference. Blocker plates another preference, personally i want my engine bay to be as clean as possible to so I'd do a new passenger side up pipe and remove the EGR, but just a tune & unplug some connections will work fine too. It really comes down to what you want and what you want to spend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The EPA and Carb are really cracking down on deletes and means big fines for anyone selling them and GM washing their hands on any sort.of powertrain warranty.
Also the emissions equipment makes very little impact on fuel economy, better to leave this alone, especially considering the cost and dramas associated with it

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm...some of these folks...….
The aftermarket industry thrives from anecdotal reports of miracles happening from their genius engineering. GM engineers are smart, have access to the source code of the engine, have facilities, time and money to test and test and test and come up with pretty good, reliable tunes for engines. I have been involved with the current level of emission equipment right back to when they where ideas on paper. They are all post treatment and as such while they may use some fuel and energy to run, it is minimal. Any fuel and DEF savings from these post treatments would take a long time to pay off given the $$$$$ the delete systems costs. Not to mention the environmental impact of taking them off is horrible, the fines for removing them are enormous and in the long run removing them will harm the engines reliability and completely negate any power train warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
The aftermarket industry thrives from anecdotal reports of miracles happening from their genius engineering. GM engineers are smart, have access to the source code of the engine, have facilities, time and money to test and test and test and come up with pretty good, reliable tunes for engines. I have been involved with the current level of emission equipment right back to when they where ideas on paper. They are all post treatment and as such while they may use some fuel and energy to run, it is minimal. Any fuel and DEF savings from these post treatments would take a long time to pay off given the $$$$$ the delete systems costs. Not to mention the environmental impact of taking them off is horrible, the fines for removing them are enormous and in the long run removing them will harm the engines reliability and completely negate any power train warranty.
How does the Kool-Aid taste?

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Someone’s been brainwashed or is a EPA troll thinking they’ll make a difference with foolish uneducated with the real world statements.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
An informed and educated person can tell the difference between cool aid and sewer water!
The sewer water is the gov making the auto industry choke back performance for the sake of BS global warming. It started in the 70’s. All these emissions efforts cost billions in rare metals, R&D and derated efficiency. And for what so treehuggers can sleep soundly at night before they fly a jet powered carbon footprint across the country to a save the whales symposium?

It’s just like pushing electric cars that use battery components scraped from deep inside the earth via open pit mines in foreign countries like South America. But it sure is efficient here in the states out of sight and out of mind. Oh and let us not forget they must be charged by a power plant.

All of this is over reach and result of keeping a politicians brothers uncle making millions and laughing it up leaving GM hq after imposing the newest set of “rules pursuant of the greater good”.

Don’t even get me started on ethanol.

:nerd:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have been involved with the current level of emission equipment right back to when they where ideas on paper.

The Titanic was unsinkable.....on paper.

My personal experience, my truck sat at the dealer for 18 days due to a failed Def gauge that was on national backorder. I asked why such a seemingly simple part was unavailable and was told “GM can’t make the damn things fast enough”. I noticed 5 other duramax powered trucks sitting in the back lot with mine and asked the SM what was wrong with those. All 5 had emissions control system issues, all 5 sitting out of service waiting on back ordered def or DPF related parts. On the other hand I guess you could say the pollution controls on those 6 trucks were working AWESOME!!!! M’Fers can’t pollute if they won’t run 'dunno;

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Titanic was unsinkable.....on paper.

My personal experience, my truck sat at the dealer for 18 days due to a failed Def gauge that was on national backorder. I asked why such a seemingly simple part was unavailable and was told “GM can’t make the damn things fast enough”. I noticed 5 other duramax powered trucks sitting in the back lot with mine and asked the SM what was wrong with those. All 5 had emissions control system issues, all 5 sitting out of service waiting on back ordered def or DPF related parts. On the other hand I guess you could say the pollution controls on those 6 trucks were working AWESOME!!!! M’Fers can’t pollute if they won’t run 'dunno;
first time mine failed sat at the dealer for a week,
second time it failed it sat at the dealer for a day,
third time it failed it sat at the dealer for 3 months waiting for a part...

to answer questions from what i can remember when i started reading this post

do not but a tune off ebay. Parts you can purchase there if you feel safe with the seller, EGR plates are not required but can be added. Once you tune the truck the EGR no longer functions,
4 or 5 inch exhaust give different sounds. 4 inch has more turbo spool and 5 inch has a deeper raspier sound. full exhaust vs pipe back i say do full exhaust. ( if i remember correctly that's the roll they play sound wise )
doing it yourself vs letting a shop do it, If you use a shop and they get nailed by epa they will turn you in to protect their selves, if you do it alone who will ever know unless you act like a fool?

thats all i can remember from your opening list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts