Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I look at it this way, if the 2 qt oil filter I'm running now which is only 7.8" long using OEM adapter was good enough for the old GM muscle cars including what I ran many years ago and some types of circle track race cars today, its surly good enough for my Dmax. :thumb

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Wow, I just pulled in the driveway in the 2004.5 LLY and noticed my oil life is down to 2% remaining. This would be my SECOND count down to 0% on the DCI on the same Mobil 1 Delvac oil and Donaldson DBL7483 filter.

Elapsed time has been 10.5 months. Elapsed mileage is 16,800. 8,268 engine hours! That is a long time, no wonder I just replaced the seat cushions!

The only thing noticeable is the idling oil pressure is down about 1 -2 psi when hot. Maybe the oil is shearing down? Maybe it's normal wear and tear? The truck has 330k on it. I guess we'll see when I change the oil and if it pops right back up. ( Normal idling hot pressure is 18 psi)

Truck used no make up oil during this test, which is good as Blackstone Labs always ask's this question as make up oil skews the test results. (It also shows what all the PVC bypass's are doing..... nuthin') I'll send the sample in on Monday and call to see if they are processing samples during this crisis.

I have some doomsday prepping to do today, so I'll service it tomorrow and report back. I'll cut the filter open too. (I'm not expecting to see anything weird, but I know some of you like that sort of thing.....)

This has been a great mod so far, lets hope Blackstone's numbers agree!

I'ts hard to believe I've owned this truck since 2008. Still wish GM made the LLY platform, it's been a superb truck. The engine is all stock with the exception of the water pump and 2 injectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@AlisoBob - thank you for taking the time to update everyone on your thoughts on this. I picked up the filter and adaptor and switching over in about 3000 miles. Being new to the Duramax platform and getting into making maintenance decisions your threads have been a big help.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
The Duramax platform is one of the best platforms when it comes to OEM lubrication. LOTS of Duramx's live a long and productive lives on Walmart oil and filters. I'm trying to do a little more, without adding expensive stuff like the Amsoil bypass setup which as proven to be of little benefit when considering the cost of purchase and maintenance.

The big Donaldson is cheap, has best in class filtration, easy to find, and you can go back to stock filtration in 5 minutes, if you desire.

All these are big plus's, in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, I just pulled in the driveway in the 2004.5 LLY and noticed my oil life is down to 2% remaining. This would be my SECOND count down to 0% on the DCI on the same Mobil 1 Delvac oil and Donaldson DBL7483 filter.

Elapsed time has been 10.5 months. Elapsed mileage is 16,800. 8,268 engine hours! That is a long time, no wonder I just replaced the seat cushions!

The only thing noticeable is the idling oil pressure is down about 1 -2 psi when hot. Maybe the oil is shearing down? Maybe it's normal wear and tear? The truck has 330k on it. I guess we'll see when I change the oil and if it pops right back up. ( Normal idling hot pressure is 18 psi)

Truck used no make up oil during this test, which is good as Blackstone Labs always ask's this question as make up oil skews the test results. (It also shows what all the PVC bypass's are doing..... nuthin') I'll send the sample in on Monday and call to see if they are processing samples during this crisis.

I have some doomsday prepping to do today, so I'll service it tomorrow and report back. I'll cut the filter open too. (I'm not expecting to see anything weird, but I know some of you like that sort of thing.....)

This has been a great mod so far, lets hope Blackstone's numbers agree!

I'ts hard to believe I've owned this truck since 2008. Still wish GM made the LLY platform, it's been a superb truck. The engine is all stock with the exception of the water pump and 2 injectors.
Did you do the oil and filter change yet? Curious if the oil pressure came back up.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Yea, it popped back up, but it's also been real cold out. It hailed last night!
I dont think it's a big deal. We're only talking 1-2 psi ....

181 - 188 of 188 Posts