Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

sup on this monday morning?!

anywho im looking to put shorter shocks on my truck and after going to the Dmaxstore and NCT's website and gazing at what they had to offer i need some opinions on what might work for me? my shocks on all four corners are eye to eye shocks, not the upward stud up front so it should make it easier choosing the correct lengths...

want to see if getting shorter shocks would be better than keeping mine (for a larger lift, though compressed 2.5")

questions:

1. will shocks designed for the 4-6" lifts work the best? (thats what im thinking) but websites such as the ones above dont show the compressed and extended lengths

2. just kidding i only had one question

3. just kidding again, i do have another question, do shocks have a green zone? if so i might be past it.....truck isnt bad but if the bilsteins are as good as people advertise and for $340 shipped id buy them off NCT........although if they see this thread i would like to mention i did submit a question to the website!!

4. if i did put the 4-6" height shocks on, could the front shocks be too short?! if my lift is truely set around 6"

for those wondering wth im talking about, i dropped my 7.5" down about 2-2.5" in the front and put 3" blocks in the rear (from a 5")

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-lml-duramax-powertrain/138534-lowering-lifted-truck-2012-lml-7-5-rcx.html

sometimes i think about trying to find a 2" tapered blocks and dropping the Tbars even more :D FTW

these are the measurements i have right now from mount to mount for both the front and rear when resting

front: 19.5" from mount to mount

rear: 24" from mount to mount

it seems like alot of people have the Foxs in regards to BDS 6.5" kits but if i went that route, could those be too long as well up front? or would an inch either way not even matter.....goes back to question # 3?

i need help from some shock savy people please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I am not "shock savvy". And I have no answers to none of your questions but I enjoy your threads and where they go, so I am subscribing. FWIW....I think shorter shocks would b an option to go with. thumb:

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha thanks!

im thinking they would work, im waiting for WildChevys to throw his .02 in! or maybe NCT will jump in?!?!

everyone reading the active topics is like AHHH WTF IS HE DOING NOW?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Hey, at least you don't buy a truck and drive it for 5 years and never touch the damn thing. Idk how people do that?!? I can't make it a week without changing, removing, or modding something!!! Props to you!!! :drink

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
/\ your not talking about that gray truck you saw in person are you!?!?!?!?!!?

;)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
oh man you're at it again now...trouble trouble trouble.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really?

i dont remember that well, when i had them (when i was leveled) maybe it didnt make a difference since it was cranked..

wonder if the shocks from your kit would be beneficial? length wise..

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think i will call Fox and see whats up

! thanks WildChevys!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hey wildchevys,

back in your days of GMFS, you hear of any problems with the guys running the TGC 2.5" kits up front? mines on order....because i want to slap some mud tires on it just to look nicer

phantom 4WD , FTW

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
i'm still active on gmfs. as long as you are JUST running the TGC 2.5" you should be fine, not running a lift AND THEN adding the 2.5" kit that is when you run into problems. i myself don't think i'd go more than a 2" leveling kit, but you should still be ok with the 2.5"

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hey jeff this is totally unrelated to your thread but what side is your axle seal leaking and did you get it fixed? I just noticed my RH side leaking and got it booked in for next monday. Good thing I dont have a lift yet :D lol.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
/\ PASSENGER SIDE!! grrrr

when work picks up a little more im going to get it fixed either by a dealer or the shop that did my lift

lucky u ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why not just order shocks for a 5 inch lift? Usually places send out the same shocks for a 4-6 inch lift

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
1st:

i called NCT and talked to a very intelligent person (no sarcasm) this guy knew his stuff!....anyway after talking with him he said they havent spec'd out all the different shock options for the many different kits out there yet, soooooo after hanging up i thought to myself, im going to buy some anyway

2nd:

i talked to Tommy @ Poly-Performance and im glad i didnt order a "pre made" order from NCT or DmaxStore (no offense)......what i mean is im glad i talked to someone instead of just hitting "Submit Payment" and receiving whatever

so after a few trips to my truck to look at my front end (taking measurements) he threw many shock options at me and even supplied photos to ask me if my mount looked like this, or did it attach like this or that.....so the front shocks that come in the BDS kit and the same ones that are in a package on DmaxStore would not have been right at all

so he found the correct shocks with correct mounts (both top and bottom) to work with my kit

i ordered:

(FRONT) FOX-980-24-683 2 Fox Universal Eyelet 2.0 IFP Performance Shock 8.5" Stroke
Mounting : eyelet - eyelet
Stroke : 8.5"
Extended: 23.425"
Collapsed: 14.925

my front mounts are 19.5" apart so i will be right in the middle, and have the correct mount on top and bottom!

(REAR) FOX-980-24-659 2 Fox Performance Series IFP for Chevy Trucks, Rear, 4-6" Lift

AND THEY ARE IN CALI!

images.jpg

1 - 20 of 81 Posts