Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought 2013 3500 srw and towing travel trailer that weighs 6800lbs.Just got back from camping and got 10.5 mpg.Speed was 60-65mph.Truck has 1000 miles on it.Changed oil to mobil one turbo diesel and axle lube to amsoil severe gear.I used tow haul mode w/allison.Any ideas? front tires 62 psi rear 70

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Not even broke in yet. What kind of wind were you driving in? Did you let it idle to warm up? What RPMs were you pulling at might have got better in 5th gear at the speed you were at.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I saw not much better when I towed a TT went to a 5er 5000lbs heaver and picked up 2mpg.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Break it in.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
10.5 isn't too far off. When towing an enclosed type trailer wind resistance is a greater factor than weight.

My 20ft enclosed bumper-pull trailer empty weighs about 4,000 pounds. I get about 10mpg doing 75. My 44' enclosed GN trailer weighs about 14,000 pounds empty. I would get about 11mpg. This is because the GN was more aerodynamic since the front wall was closer to the cab, aiding the air in going over it.

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,284 Posts
12.5 here towing 17K on the ticker, and I may be able to squeak another mile out of her if I drive softer :D Now if I compare that to the 8 mpg with the F150 Ill take it in a heart beat.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
yea she needs broke in! fuel mileage will get better as you get some miles on her.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Breaker in. I've heard they will get better after that.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
I don't understand why people expect to see 15+ mpg when towing, esp. with the emmisions shit. Go buy a 3/4 ton gasser and see if it even holds a candle to the power and fuel mileage of a diesel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have experianced the same thing...everone tells me that the more miles I get on it the better it will get...I have about 2800 miles on mine now...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I agree with all above saying break it in. I got an 11 with 45k on the clock. I get about 12-13 pulling my 34' 5th wheel that's about 11k loaded. Unfortunately, I had to pull it out of the garage this winter for a snowmobile trip to upstate New York. I pulled my 25' enclosed with 4 sleds in it and and bunch of other crap. I figure the trailer was 6k and gear in the bed and 4 people in the truck. Running 70-75mph, in the winter, I was getting about 12mpg. Now the 11 Suburban that was with us pulling the same size trailer, with 3 people in it and less gear got 7mpg. This past summer, running empty for 9 hrs non stop at speeds starting around the 70 mph, eventually getting to 80mph and the last 45min of the trip cranked it to 95mph because i couldnt stand sitting in it anymore I got 18mpg. Drive it and see what happens.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you're already ok with towing at 60-65mph (I can't stand driving that slow) then definitely put it in 5th. I tow in 5th all the time if it's a decent load and I just set the cruise at 70-75 most trips, but I mostly tow smaller stuff like my Jeep on an 18' trailer.

When pulling my Jeep to Colorado I was shifting between 5th and 6th at 75mph and watching the EGT's on my CTS. I was getting lower temps in 5th and I'm assuming that lower temps might also mean burning a tiny bit less fuel?? My truck is a little louder in 5th at that speed and rpm, but it's not that bad

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't forget you're probably still running winter blend they don't usually switch it over until end of March beginning of April in Iowa I would assume Missouri is the same.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Sick.Litre:
9 mpg dragging the 3+3 between shops and trails in it's early days.

7.3 Whistle Wagon:
7 mpg dragging the 3+3 between shops and trails in it's early days.

LML in STOCK form, two days old with 13km on the odometer:
14 mpg yanking one of my Burbs over the Rockies.

Since when have big trucks gotten amazing fuel economy? Take a 6BT 12v owner getting 23mpg empty, lend him/her an LML to tow with and even he/she will admit that the LML is a far superior machine for towing. More power, more weight, etc.

A lot goes into calculating fuel economy and determining which factors impact it. Towing adds yet another few variables. For example, that V2500 up ^there^ is far more aerodynamic than the travel trailer you pulled.

I am now making it my main function on DF to yell at people complaining about fuel economy. GrrRRrr

Joker:thumb

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I seriously was going to say that ^ but decided not too. Saw that you posted it after I left the thread and just laughed my ass off lol. Too funny, we dmax guys must think alike in a way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 76 Posts