Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a 2015 6.6 LML that is leaking a significant amount of oil. I got a notification of low oil, stopped and checked and needed to add a few quarts of oil to get the levels right.

I have removed the wheel well and found that the lower valve cover on the passenger side is leaking. I believe the driver side is leaking as well however have not pulled anything off of that side yet. Looking through the chilton repair manual there are many things that need to be removed/replaced.

I just want to validate some of them from people who have done this before.

Remove and DISCARD the fuel injection fuel feed pipes (2). can these be reused or do they need to be replaced during the gasket replacements?
  • EN 47909 Injector Bore and Sleeve Cleaning Kit
  • EN 49774 Fuel Injector Puller
Are these needed? or can i pull them with different tools?

Air Conditioning CompressorВ»Reposition away. This is a sub step of removing the fan blade. Does the AC compressor need to be moved for the gasket replacements? Does the fan blade actually need to be removed?

I am also going to do a PCV reroute while i am working on this. Sorry for all of the questions, could not find the answers searching the forums. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
You can reuse the fuel feed lines. Clean them up good with brake clean before reinstall. To clean debris from injector bore i use 6’ long Q-tips. To pull injectors all you need is prybar under the hold down to pop them loose. It’s obvious the head gaskets were done on your truck in the past because there are head studs. The valve cover leaking isn’t that common of a problem so wonder if new gaskets got installed in the head gasket repair Job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can reuse the fuel feed lines. Clean them up good with brake clean before reinstall. To clean debris from injector bore i use 6’ long Q-tips. To pull injectors all you need is prybar under the hold down to pop them loose. It’s obvious the head gaskets were done on your truck in the past because there are head studs. The valve cover leaking isn’t that common of a problem so wonder if new gaskets got installed in the head gasket repair Job.
Thank you for the response, that helps a lot. I’m assuming they didn’t get changed but no clue really.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Just adding a note. If you were several quarts low on engine oil and no puddles of oil on the ground I feel the valve cover lower gaskets are not the source of this amount of oil loss.
You’ve got a good point there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just adding a note. If you were several quarts low on engine oil and no puddles of oil on the ground I feel the valve cover lower gaskets are not the source of this amount of oil loss.
Could it be from the pcv as well? I am going to start on the gaskets tomorrow. Any other ideas of what could cause that?

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
No that does not come from PCV as that is on driver side valve cover. Before you really tear into it I would wash off that oil and make sure it is leaking very bad. Also when you do tear into it make sure you have access to all the torque specs. To really do it right you should have new coppers for the injectors as they will need to come out. Something to clean out the injector bores as well. Long cotton swabs is what i use.

Reactions: NC 6.6 LML
1 - 8 of 8 Posts