Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
we are using about a quart or a little less of oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles, is this normal??

Premium Member
Not sure if it remained the same with the LML, but GM says it's normal to use a qt in the 4-5k miles range when you're workin' em and towing. One qt at 8-10k is nothing to worry about. Dry dipstick is 2qts low.

Registered
I'm doing about a qt every 8000 miles. Going to send in a sample to make sure nothing is wrong.

Registered
My truck burns about a quart of oil every 100 gallons of fuel used. Dealer said that was on the high side of normal. Truck has 16,000 miles now and usage is slowing down. I monitor it every week. I also have the tick and the oil pump whine. None of it bothers me so long as it isn't causing damage. Have had many cummins but this is my first duramax. Love it so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
My truck burns about a quart of oil every 100 gallons of fuel used. Dealer said that was on the high side of normal. Truck has 16,000 miles now and usage is slowing down. I monitor it every week. I also have the tick and the oil pump whine. None of it bothers me so long as it isn't causing damage. Have had many cummins but this is my first duramax. Love it so far.
i think thats a little more than the high side of normal, mine had upper pan seal problems when it was new, you need to take it back to your dealer and if they wont fix it take it to another dealer.

Registered
What is normal for a duramax? They want to do an oil consumption test meaning I have to pull my bypass kit off and have them do an oil change. Then return weekly to check level and top off. If it doesn't use more than a quart every 100 gallons they will do nothing. It is a good dealer and brother in law is their largest customer so I think they are being truthful. I have it documented so let it burn.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Check out hook em horns post above.

Registered
I'm doing about a qt every 8000 miles. Going to send in a sample to make sure nothing is wrong.
Sample came back great with just over 8000 miles on it!

Attachments

jokerfabworx.com
When it comes oil change time, every 5000km, just about all the oil I put in previously comes out. The shorter interval obviously has something to do with it. That said, before I warm it up to do an oil change, I check the dipstick. It always reads just as it did after the previous oil change.

Does that help you? If not, I really don't know what to tell you. You might have a lemon. :poke[1]:

Joker:thumb Helping the DF community, one member at a time.:rofl

Registered
i'd find a new dealer. there is no way that burning a quart of oil is normal with useing 100 gallons of fuel. i burn about 100gallons a week, often more, towing pretty heavy. i've never added any oil to my truck in the almost 20k miles i've had it, getting the oil changed every 6,000 miles at the stealership for free. i'd look into this for sure, thats not normal.

Registered
i'd find a new dealer. there is no way that burning a quart of oil is normal with useing 100 gallons of fuel. i burn about 100gallons a week, often more, towing pretty heavy. i've never added any oil to my truck in the almost 20k miles i've had it, getting the oil changed every 6,000 miles at the stealership for free. i'd look into this for sure, thats not normal.
This is because of the short oil change interval. At 5-6K I use little to no oil. After 7-8K I'm about .5-.75 quart low. Now if I'm pulling I use a little more.

Registered
My truck now has 25,000 miles and I no longer add any oil between changes. I change the oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles or so. Change it when the DIC says to. I have the Amsoil bypass system and don't do oil analysis. Just change full flow every time and bypass every other time. I change the oil so I don't have warranty issues using extended change intervals. Nothing has changed for the truck so I suspect it just needed a break in period of sorts. Maybe I should have waited longer to switch to amsoil. Either way truck is great and goes to the dealer once a month for warranty work.

Registered
Of course an engine that "doesn't use any" oil between changes MAY be collecting fuel or coolant in the crankcase. (hiding that it is using a little oil)

Using 'some' between changes is probably a good sign.

Registered
The oil level drops some between changes. I just don't add any between changes anymore. The level will drop to between 1/2 and full in an oil change cycle of 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

Premium Member
Ive never added any to mine and do oilchanges about every 6000 miles

Registered
When does its get dangerous for oil on the Duramax if you run low? If you go down 2 quarts, will there start to be damage? I know that there is the operating range but when does the real damage start to occur?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts