Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
look at Ron Nielson's attachment. pull the fuel pressure regulator off the CP4 and look for metal shavings. if they are present your up sh!t creek for $10K in fuel system repairs.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 2500Hd Denali 4wd, 5" exhaust, Fass 155, EGR-DEF delete, EFI live, CP3 conversion
6 Posts
Yes sir. I have not pulled the fuel pressure regulator from the driver side, but I have pulled the tubing from the fuel rail to the injectors (1,3,5,7). Nothing found there. I already have done the CP3 conversion to it. Fuel rail shows 6.5kpsi (according to the EZ link).. Should be plenty from what I'm understanding.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 2500Hd Denali 4wd, 5" exhaust, Fass 155, EGR-DEF delete, EFI live, CP3 conversion
6 Posts
you have any codes related to FICM?
No sir, that is what has been the most frustrating part. No codes to lead me to anywhere.
I disconnected all the air intake stuff, so I did get the common ones, (Map, Air heater, etc.), but as soon as I reconnect it, the codes clear

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pulled #5 injector, re-connected the fuel line and return hose back to it. (With the injector out of the engine), I tried starting it. Still shows average 6.5kpsi, up to 10kpsi upon initial start, then levels out (on te rail). Injector does not spray ANYTHING. I was getting some kind of injector pulse at one time (according to the multi-meter) , but maybe not enough to actually open the injector. I have not tried this to any other injectors yet I will try to recheck pulse, again today. But still not codes and no luck... :-/
Had a mechanic come out and hook his computer up to it, he can see a lot more parameters than I could and still no dice.
Talked to several shops on the phone, they are all stumped.
Would like to get it going again. Soon!
Will try to update as any information comes up and hopefully a resolution.

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
442 Posts
.........Talked to several shops on the phone, they are all stumped........
Perhaps my own experience will be of use to you (mine is a LML). I have NO confidence either in the ability of the Duramax's on-board computers to give correct codes related to the actual problem, either on the dash indications or thru a "consumer-grade" 0BDII "reader".

On more than one occasion the only solution to a "dead" truck was to have it transported to a GM dealer. (Yes, I know...I know...some of you have reported bad results, calling them "stealerships". My own experience and others in different parts of the mountain and far west has resulted in more confidence in them)

In each case, the GM technician, who, obviously, has access to "proprietory" GM 0BDII diagnostic equipment, quickly found what had "killed" my truck, and had me on my way with a surprisingly low shop charge.

And, taking me into their confidence, noting how far off my own 0BDII equipment led me, inferred that ...well....let's just say GM computer engineers like the idea of you taking your truck to a GM repair facility......!

Bottom line...my personal recommendation....take it to a GM dealer!

Reactions: Glenn From Tx

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm using a Chinese knockoff TechII tool with my laptop. Works well after a buddy (who's better with computers) go it all setup. I by no means an expert, but the internet has helped immensely for knowledge.

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
442 Posts
I'm using a Chinese knockoff TechII tool with my laptop. Works well after a buddy (who's better with computers) go it all setup. I by no means an expert, but the internet has helped immensely for knowledge.
..............................................................................................................
Thank you for your post. Perhaps you havn't read the print on the boxes - (to my knowledge) virtuall ALL of the consumer-grade 0BDII "diognostic/code readers" are of Chinese mfg.

Can you give us more info as to how it "works well", and where you'd suggest the OP to go find someone who can set him up?

For example, what codes were you able to detect that related to your actual malfunctions ( or can it recover info, as in the OP's case) that did not result in codes?

Yes, I agree - the Internet is a incredible source of knowledge. Having access to this particular site has proven of great value to me in taking care of my Duramax.

Besides this particular site, can you suggest to the OP other sites on the Internet that can help him?

At the risk of repeating myself, I again suggest to the OP he get his vehicle to a GM dealer. As I noted earlier, it appears to me
1) the on-board computers in Duramax vehicles may not necessarily produce codes that point directly to a given problem.
2) the "consumer grade" 0BDII "readers" may be fooled by GM's proprietory software into steering the average "back-yard wrench turner" (like me !) in the wrong direction.
3) GM dealers have 0BDII equipment that (at least it is my experience) enable them to go directly to the problem and solve it, dramatically reducing wasted time and the risk of spending a lot of money messing with parts that are unrelated to the malfunction.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts