Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the regular mirrors on my truck. I love the reverse function of the mirrors and how they angle down. However, i really want tow mirrors for my truck. My question is: does GM make tow mirrors with the angle down reverse function(curb function)? If so, where can i found them besides a dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No these are not made. You can get the turn signals, power glass, and heated mirrors, but they do not make the downward curb view model.

You can look at Kool View mirrors but I have been told many tend to have shaky mirror glass at highway speed. The GM versions are much better, although more expensive. I want them too, but too much for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the tow mirrors on my new truck, but only drove it a couple days while I was home before coming back overseas. Do the mirrors electronically move in and out?

This is from my buildsheet:

DPN - PWR HTD OUTSIDE CAMPER MIRRORS
WTURN SIGNAL, CONVEX GLASS (REPLACES
STD/OPT MIRRORS)

Going home sometime next month, cant wait to put some miles on it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
you can just adjust the blind spot mirror down to the exhaust pipe or the curb.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have the tow mirrors on my new truck, but only drove it a couple days while I was home before coming back overseas. Do the mirrors electronically move in and out?

This is from my buildsheet:

DPN - PWR HTD OUTSIDE CAMPER MIRRORS
WTURN SIGNAL, CONVEX GLASS (REPLACES
STD/OPT MIRRORS)

Going home sometime next month, cant wait to put some miles on it.

No, they don't. You have to pull them out yourself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
And they are not that easy....for example my wife or my son cannot be sitting in the passenger seat and fold the mirrors in or out. They are a little stiff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, so they do not move once you put the truck in reverse. Thanks guys. I found some mirrors and i saw they did not do that so i was concerned. How hard are they to install?
Do you have to take apart the door(the interior)?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tow mirrors do not tilt down for reverse but they do have the lower angle section that I have directed at my rear tires so it's pretty much the same thing without having to wait for the mirror to tilt. Plus the tilt motor went out on one of my mirrors in my 07 Denali and that SOB costs $300 for a new one! Less moving parts is always better.

The camper mirrors are heated and include the turn signal indicator. They fold but are not power folding (that I do miss from my 07) and they're telescopic but it is manual (c'mon GM, Fords had power-telescoping mirrirs for like 4 years now).

I was told by my dealer, which is a heavy aftermarket dealer, that you cannot switch from the standard mirrors to the camper mirrors. They tried to do it on two different trucks and it was just not possible. Due to the power folding and tilt features, the standard mirrors have a completely different harness. They had to buy new door panel controls for driver and passenger, a completely new harness, gut almost the entire car (front seats, full dash, headliner, etc...) to install the new harness and they could not make the camper mirrors heat or utilize the signal function (which is weird because the standard mirrors have both heat and signal functions as well). They mutliated the harness they bought and had to end up reinstalling everything back to stock. The first truck I was looking at had the standard mirrors and they told me they absolutely would not do it even if I paid for all the parts myself. I bought a truck with the camper mirrors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump to see if what clintster442 said?

Also, how hard are the tow mirrors to install yourself? I have a LTZ and i am not excited to take the doors apart. Is there a way to get to the power cords without taking the door off.

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,350 Posts
I was told by my dealer, which is a heavy aftermarket dealer, that you cannot switch from the standard mirrors to the camper mirrors. They tried to do it on two different trucks and it was just not possible. Due to the power folding and tilt features, the standard mirrors have a completely different harness. They had to buy new door panel controls for driver and passenger, a completely new harness, gut almost the entire car (front seats, full dash, headliner, etc...) to install the new harness and they could not make the camper mirrors heat or utilize the signal function (which is weird because the standard mirrors have both heat and signal functions as well). They mutliated the harness they bought and had to end up reinstalling everything back to stock. The first truck I was looking at had the standard mirrors and they told me they absolutely would not do it even if I paid for all the parts myself. I bought a truck with the camper mirrors.
i gotta call bullshit on your dealer, ive never ever heard that

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Bump to see if what clintster442 said?

Also, how hard are the tow mirrors to install yourself? I have a LTZ and i am not excited to take the doors apart. Is there a way to get to the power cords without taking the door off.
Nope. Its not bad at all though. Maybe 6 bolts in panel then pops right off. Take an hour to do both sides if you really take your time. Only pain is snapping connectors in and out of window controls/locks.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Changing the mirrors is easy and do-able. It's making all the crap work that isn't. The harnesses that plug into the door controls aren't the same, at least not on nbs trucks and definitely not on trucks with power folding mirrors. There's more crap in there than you'd think, the lower approach light (which is tied to your ECU and controlled through the DIC), the integrated blinker, the heater (tied into your rear window defrost control on the dash if you have one or singular control if not), and the power folding motor (which is tied to both side mirrors of the car through the harness)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The tow mirrors do not tilt down for reverse but they do have the lower angle section that I have directed at my rear tires so it's pretty much the same thing without having to wait for the mirror to tilt. Plus the tilt motor went out on one of my mirrors in my 07 Denali and that SOB costs $300 for a new one! Less moving parts is always better.

The camper mirrors are heated and include the turn signal indicator. They fold but are not power folding (that I do miss from my 07) and they're telescopic but it is manual (c'mon GM, Fords had power-telescoping mirrirs for like 4 years now).

I had the standard mirrors (with blinker, heat, power folding) when I bought my truck, but I needed camper mirrors. Before I bought the truck I made the dealer throw them in on the deal. I just got it back on Wednesday. They installed the camper mirrors in one day, no problem. Though I DO NOT have the power folding option anymore, and that button has been taken off of my door switch panel. Sucks, because I liked that feature. And they also ref lashed the ECU to show the change in mirrors. I still have the reverse tilt option, still have heat and still have a blinker in them.

Your dealer lied to you. Which is completely common, I've already caught my dealer in 2 lies (or incompetence, however you want to view it). Do your research and call them on their BS, and MAKE them take the time to look up EXACTLY what you want before they tell you they can't do it and blow you off. I've finally turned into "that guy" when I walk in that place, it's not my fault I know more about your trucks than you do, I often skip the service advisors and parts people and have them take me to a tech to ask him the questions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
No, they don't. You have to pull them out yourself.
According to my dealer, the power fold/extend tow mirrors were the #1 GM warranty repair/replace item for the models that had them. Idk if that's accurate or not, but it's what I was told.

Scribbled on my iPad while landing a space shuttle

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My 2005 LLY has power telescoping mirrors, they did away with them in 2006 due to gear failures in the freezing weather. I don't mind having to pull the mirrors out on my LML , it is part of my pre inspection walk around :poke[1]:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
No these are not made. You can get the turn signals, power glass, and heated mirrors, but they do not make the downward curb view model.

You can look at Kool View mirrors but I have been told many tend to have shaky mirror glass at highway speed. The GM versions are much better, although more expensive. I want them too, but too much for me.
Althought they are better than what I previously had on there I can confirm the Kool View knock offs definately vibrate on the highway above 60MPH. Have em on my 01. You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the standard mirrors (with blinker, heat, power folding) when I bought my truck, but I needed camper mirrors. Before I bought the truck I made the dealer throw them in on the deal. I just got it back on Wednesday. They installed the camper mirrors in one day, no problem. Though I DO NOT have the power folding option anymore, and that button has been taken off of my door switch panel. Sucks, because I liked that feature. And they also ref lashed the ECU to show the change in mirrors. I still have the reverse tilt option, still have heat and still have a blinker in them.

Your dealer lied to you. Which is completely common, I've already caught my dealer in 2 lies (or incompetence, however you want to view it). Do your research and call them on their BS, and MAKE them take the time to look up EXACTLY what you want before they tell you they can't do it and blow you off. I've finally turned into "that guy" when I walk in that place, it's not my fault I know more about your trucks than you do, I often skip the service advisors and parts people and have them take me to a tech to ask him the questions.

God [email protected] stealership. That's why I hate dealerships, they aren't there to help you, they are there to make money. They could care less if your a satisfied customer as long as you give them a good score on question 14 of that [email protected] customer survey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dealer BS!
I got a 2011 2500 HD Denali she came with standard mirrors that are heated have memory and fold in under power. I had the dealer put on towing mirrors, I still have heat, turn, signals and power mirrors just mo memory or fold in under power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts