Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which hardware do you use?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
There are many tuning options available for the LML platform, each with their pros and cons. Which one is right for you, depends on a few things.

-Hardware-

"Boxed Tuners": H&S, Banks, Quadzilla (discontinued), etc.
These tuners are loaded with vehicle specific tunes, from the tuning company. Each customer is given the same tune. When the tuning company updates their tunes, the customer's tuning device may be updated over the internet. After updating the hardware, the customer is able to re-tune their vehicle, with the updated tune. These tuners are keyed to a vehicle's VIN number, so they may only tune one ECM (Engine Control Module) at a time.
Some boxed tuners are downloaders, while others are both downloaders and monitors. A downloader is able to write a tune to the ECM, read DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and clear them. A monitor is able to display real-time information about the engine,transmission, etc. This information is read by the tuner, via the vehicle's OBD II port.

examples...
XRT Pro: downloader

Mini Maxx: downloader/monitor

Automind: downloader

iQ2: monitor, to be use in conjunction with Banks tuner

"EFILive": Customers are typically sold an AutoCal device to load the tunes they have purchased from their chosen tune writer. AutoCals are shipped to the customer with their tunes already loaded, ready to be written to their vehicle's ECM. These units are also VIN specific.
AutoCals are able to write tunes to an ECM, read/clear DTCs and log data. Although the AutoCal is unable to relay real-time information from the vehicle's computer system to the driver, it IS able to record multiple parameters of the engine/transmission, which can later be reviewed by a tune writer to diagnose any issues the customer may be having. This data logging feature is extremely useful when tune writers are providing support for their customers.
The FlashScan V2 is essentially a pass-through device. A laptop with the appropriate software, in conjunction with a FlashScan V2, is a tune writer's most valuable tool. Tune writers use it to access a vehicle's ECM, copy the tune files and later modify them. Although it is able to load tunes to a vehicle's ECM, its steep price tag (when compared to the AutoCal) renders it a poor choice for the everyday consumer (diesel enthusiast). However, if you are wanting to write your own tunes, this is the way to go.

examples...
AutoCal

FlashScan V2

-Software-
While "boxed tuners" DO support high-power, bolt-on modifications, EFILive is the ideal choice for those with custom setups. EFILive tunes are easily modified by a tune writer. This ease of "tune adjustment" is great for those testing new modifications and custom/experimental engine components.
There are good and bad tune writers. While the different tuning hardware is essentially the same quality, the tunes loaded to them may differ greatly by manufacturer/writer. While refined tunes, written by professionals, offer great power, reasonable EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) and great "drivability", a poorly written tune will produce unreasonable EGTs and poor drivability. When choosing a tune writer, consider the fact that a poorly written tune can easily DESTROY an engine, transmission and other components of the drive train.

-Tune writers-
A common question posed by people is, "Who is the best tuner?" Although H&S now supports MCC tunes (customizable tunes), this popular question typically pertains to EFILive tunes. Since tuning is very subjective , there is no absolute answer to this question. Below is a list of well-known, professional tune writers. In order to get the very best tune for YOUR NEEDS, you need to call these folks and have a conversation with them. The tune writers will ask you what your truck is used for, which modifications you have (or plan on adding), and what you want out of your tune(s).

In an attempt to avoid hurting people's feelings, the names in the below list are in no specific order.

Motor Ops 705-243-4238

-Idaho Rob at ATP Trucks 208-685-1000

-Duramax Tuner 815-568-7920

-Kory Willis at PPEI

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Just want to add that Idaho Rob and Duramax Tuner do not offer delete tuning, where H&S, MotorOps, and Kory do :thumb

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This should be a sticky. No more "hey guys i just got a duramax and want to delete the dpf but dont know which tuner to get and dont wanna void warranty blah blah blah". dear god people scroll down the page, there is a million threads about this sh*t!!

Good stuff JOKER

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
This should be a sticky. No more "hey guys i just got a duramax and want to delete the dpf but dont know which tuner to get and dont wanna void warranty blah blah blah". dear god people scroll down the page, there is a million threads about this sh*t!!

Good stuff JOKER
Don't matter, they don't even read the stickies before they start retard typing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I kinda see both sides. I don't believe in tearing the guy a new one for simply asking a question, but yeep, the same questions over and over again get a little annoying. IMO the best response would simply be to not answer if their questions bother you.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yeah im not saying we should lay into the guy but a little research and less laziness goes a long way. Every time I see a new "which tuner" or "wanna tune but wanna keep warranty" threads I just shake my head and keep scrolling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yeah im not saying we should lay into the guy but a little research and less laziness goes a long way. Every time I see a new "which tuner" or "wanna tune but wanna keep warranty" threads I just shake my head and keep scrolling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm trying real hard to do that but every now and then you see the extreme idiot who just deserves to get a little hard education :thumb

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,286 Posts
Not to take away from EFI, But those with the H&S units XRT and Mini Max, Can be custom tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Yeah I love mine.. Don't think I'll be switching

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Maybe I'll add a poll to this. That way, people looking for it can get a visual representation of who runs what.
Yea that hasn't been done before :rofl I think I already have a poll you can reference :thumb at least for some of it :neener

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You listed all the H&S products with the box tuna option then just lumped all the MCC tuna into one option WTF shouldn't they be individualized like the box tuna options.

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,049 Posts
Why is there a no tuning choice for a thread called LML tuning Options?

That would not be a tuned option - that is a stock option???

I may be wrong - i did not know Rob had lml tunes available....

AM i missing something?

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You listed all the H&S products with the box tuna option then just lumped all the MCC tuna into one option WTF shouldn't they be individualized like the box tuna options.
If you have MCC tunes, you add the MCC choice to your hardware selection.

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why is there a no tuning choice for a thread called LML tuning Options?

That would not be a tuned option - that is a stock option???

I may be wrong - i did not know Rob had lml tunes available....

AM i missing something?
I don't think you missed anything. Lots of folks don't want to tune their vehicles. Since there is a pretty, visual representation of who runs what, adding the option of "no tuner" seemed fair. People looking for reasons to delete want to see that people have done. People wondering if it's "OK" to stay stock, also need the convincing. Maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I don't think you missed anything. Lots of folks don't want to tune their vehicles. Since there is a pretty, visual representation of who runs what, adding the option of "no tuner" seemed fair. People looking for reasons to delete want to see that people have done. People wondering if it's "OK" to stay stock, also need the convincing. Maybe that's just me.
It's just you :thumb

1 - 20 of 39 Posts