Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to a couple of shops and they said that not too many people come in to get these mods. Even though everyone and their mama on this forum get these mods. I was wondering if anyone here in my state (CA) has these mods and if they can offer some feedback to their experience with the DPF Delete on an LMM. Feel free to chime in even if your not in my state.

How does your state handle smog compared to CA?

Is my only option to put it back on for the smog and take it off after? Or...

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
There are quite a few guys in Cali, but a lot of people choose to leave their exhaust in tact or modify to appear like they have exhaust installed.

Your best option if you want DPF delete is to re-install stock exhaust when it's time to SMOG.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever have any problems with the EFI Live since it voids your warranty?

I would honestly leave the entire stock exhaust and only delete the DPF. I like the way the stock one looks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have had efi live for over a year now and love it. But in indiana we dont get tested for emmisons.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Ever have any problems with the EFI Live since it voids your warranty?

I would honestly leave the entire stock exhaust and only delete the DPF. I like the way the stock one looks.
I don't understand the question.

EFI Live is a company that creates software and hardware that allows you to modify your ECM tune file.

I've had zero issues with my truck since I tuned it with EFI Live, honestly it sort of makes it more reliable due to the regen process on an LMM.

The DOC / Cat restricts more then the DPF, I would just get a full exhaust and swap back and forth. Just get a good exhaust that is easy to install and uninstall. Not one that uses the C clamps to install.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Im in Maryland and they dont test diesels here "yet", I have had zero problems for a near 90,000 miles with efi. and personally i think it runs alot better, more power, and better fuel economy,

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Just keep your stock exhaust in the garage and bolt it back on when you need to get it tested. Get EFI with a DSP 5 switch and make one of your tunes the stock tune. If you do not beat on or abuse your truck it will stay just as reliable as it is now.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Just keep your stock exhaust in the garage and bolt it back on when you need to get it tested. Get EFI with a DSP 5 switch and make one of your tunes the stock tune. If you do not beat on or abuse your truck it will stay just as reliable as it is now.
You'll have to flash back to a stock tune, because you will have to re-enable the DPF.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I do not think it matters. It would be like a second cat as long as you do not run it too long.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I do not think it matters. It would be like a second cat as long as you do not run it too long.
It would clog up and wouldn't be capable of going into regen. I wouldn't run this way, it would only take 5 minutes to flash a stock tune back on if you have a v2, installing the exhaust would take up MUCH more of your time.

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the commie smog check points, other than that just bolt the DPF back up. I bought the exhaust in pieces so I can just bolt up the DPF section if I need to but I live in a non smog county. Another option is to buy a used DPF and hollow it out, smog check is only visual they dont check the ECM. Get the EFI unit so you can flash a custom smog tune if you need it.

Also get an EGR blocker plate for engine longevity. Its a pain in the ass to install but well worth it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My whole concern is the lame smog checks that are required by CA. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Anyone know of any good Diesel Shops here in So Cal? I know PPE is in Orange County.. But any others??

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
So Cal Diesel is in Valencia.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I deleted the DPF the second week back in 08, I got the truck here in Riverside and not one problem. I have gotten pulled over many times and they do not check for DPF or CAT deletes, they just harassed me cause my truck was too high. As far as smog checks go I just put the stock exhaust on and set EFI to stock tune. There are checkpoints for diesels but they are scarce.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My whole concern is the lame smog checks that are required by CA. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Anyone know of any good Diesel Shops here in So Cal? I know PPE is in Orange County.. But any others??
I can send u a pm if u need that info.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I deleted the DPF the second week back in 08, I got the truck here in Riverside and not one problem. I have gotten pulled over many times and they do not check for DPF or CAT deletes, they just harassed me cause my truck was too high. As far as smog checks go I just put the stock exhaust on and set EFI to stock tune. There are checkpoints for diesels but they are scarce.
Sounds good! That's what I like to hear. Have you had to take your truck in for smog yet?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is a place in Fullerton called Industrial Motoring they do just about eveything u want to these trucks and they are very reasonable.
Watch out about putting names out of people willing to do these Mods, states are cracking down on these places and the fines are more than any place can handle, your dealing with a federal emisions product...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the commie smog check points, other than that just bolt the DPF back up. I bought the exhaust in pieces so I can just bolt up the DPF section if I need to but I live in a non smog county. Another option is to buy a used DPF and hollow it out, smog check is only visual they dont check the ECM. Get the EFI unit so you can flash a custom smog tune if you need it.

Also get an EGR blocker plate for engine longevity. Its a pain in the ass to install but well worth it.
:thumb

That's what I used to do for the inspections for the vette's. I would just cut out the cat's (In this case pre DPF and post cat) and make "delete pipes". This was we could bolt in the cat at any time within a few minutes. Served well come inspection time every year. Just weld in flanges for both sets of pipes and your done! Throw it in the corner of the garage and take it out every year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watch out about putting names out of people willing to do these Mods, states are cracking down on these places and the fines are more than any place can handle, your dealing with a federal emisions product...
It's okay. My Truck is for "Off-Road Use" and is not registered to be on the hwy in CA. :neener (CARB) :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts