Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 07.5 LMM i know they recommend you use 15W-40 oil but i want to run rotella t6 synthetic and think it only come in 5W-40. Is this safe to run in my truck. Also what tranny fluid do i use of couse when i bought my truck it did not come with any manuals.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I just switched to T6 but I think I have the typewriter tick now. Tranny fluid you need Dex 6 or TES 295 fluid like Transynd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
You can use either a 5w-40 or 15w-40 CJ-4 oil.
Do you happen to know what fluid is in the trans now? Trans fluid factory fill is conventional Dexron VI.
If you can, drain whats in the trans now & use Transynd. Allison TES 295 fluids are way better then Dexron VI fluid.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Don't forget the spin on tranny filter too. They're only like $10. Good time to change the transfer case fluid too, it takes the same as the tranny.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rottella T6 is fine to use in your truck. I would not use the DEX6 go with Transynd. its the best IMO. If you do change the tranny filter remember to keep the magnet off the old filter to put on the new one. A lot of times these accidentally get thrown away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok to change the tranny fluid i just drop the pan change both filters and refill right. How many quarts of fluid does the tranny need? Also what is the tourqu setting on the pan? Does the transfer case have a drain and fill plug do you fill it till it starts to come out just like the differential?

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wajax power solutions they are $10.95, genuine Allison.
To the OP. Search the 'double drain and fill' for tranny fluid change. I dropped the pan on the first drain and used a total of almost 5 gallons, plus it's good to have some left over for the transfer case and to top up later next time you change the spin on filter. Torque Specs and fluid amounts are listed in the maintenance section as a sticky. There is a drain and a fill plug on the transfer case, pretty easy. You might also want to service the diffs too.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
The trans has a drain plug. Change the external spin on filter & if you just drain it, youll need 7.5 qts. The transfer case have a drain and fill plug. Itll hold a bit over 1.5 qts, before the fluid starts to flow out. I used Dexron VI fluid on my t case.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The tranny takes over 12 litres on initial fill so if you only drain it you're only getting 60% maybe a bit more fluid out. Double drain and fill gets something like 95% changeover. To me its worth it to spend a few more $ to get more fluid out, plus the piece of mind since its a used truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts